Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes

Go down 
+2
CathyN
wingmann
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes Empty
PostSubject: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Has anyone used a disc lock on your silverwing . Do they damage rotor or brakes . Has anyone put a disc lock on and forgot and tryed to drive off and then doing damage to the brakes . I could see my self forgetting and doing damage. If getting a disc lock is a good thing to use on my silverwing what brand and type / model of disc lock should I get .
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Wingman,

I got a disc lock for my bike. I think I got it from aerostich.com. I haven't used it yet. It's easy to use.

It's good to have if your not sure of the area you may need to park your Swing in. They're not that expensive. I paid around 25.00 for mine. It came with a cable reminder cord. So you don't damage your bike.

Being that I live in Chicago, you can't be to safe.
Back to top Go down
Vintruvious
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 am

I've used regular heavy duty padlocks in the past for sport bikes. The real danger in forgetting that you put the lock on is falling over when the lock hits the caliper. The locks are cheap. You just have to get a size that fits through the disc rotor holes. Its actually best to place the lock on the rear tire, then if you forget that you put it on, the likely hood of falling over is significantly less.

As for damage to the rotor, you are more likely to damage the caliper than the rotor, but actually unless you GP launch your starts, your only rel danger is falling over.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lvvjjr.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 am

Large padlock:
I have an alarmed lock which has a removable, big enough shackle to go round a wheel-spoke, not least making it easy to put on and off.
I have bike and topbox keys on a lanyard - they are attached with trigger-hooks. The padlock key also has a trigger-hook but lives in the pouch with the lock when not in use.
When the lock's on, the key's on the lanyard so is obvious when I'm getting ready for the 'off' and serves as a reminder not to try to ride away with the lock on.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 6:26 pm

only if you are stupid enough to try to drive off with wheel locked.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
scooterbob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scooterbob

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 pm

I have, and still do, use a disk lock on my Silverwing.

Can it damage a disk, yes. If you forget to remove it and try to ride off, you will come to a quick halt when the wheel stops rotating as the lock slams against the caliper. I know this because I have done it. The damage is a slight warp in the rotor. For me, the slightly warped rotor caused no concern. The brakes did not grab or shimmy afterwords. The only thing I noticed was an area of the rotor that was not as worn/scuffed from the brake pads as was the rest of the rotor. You usually only make the mistake once of forgetting to remove the lock.

As for the size to get, all I can do is tell you how I bought my lock.

I went to the Honda dealer and asked for a lock that would fit the SilverWing. The sales person said which one would work. I asked if it was guaranteed to fit. He said "Go out and try it before you Pay for it." I did, it did, and I had a lock.

Care of the lock.... If you ride in all seasons and weather like I do, you might consider keeping the lock lubricated. There is nothing worse than going out to your scoot and have a hard time unlocking it.

Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Hey scooterbob,

What part of Chicago do you live? I'm on the northwest side.
Back to top Go down
scooterbob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scooterbob

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Cathy, I'm on the southwest side of the city. About a mile east of Midway airport.

Not only do I use a disk lock, but I put an alarm on the scoot too. If someone is going to steal it, they will at least get noticed. Smile
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Scooterbob, I live about a mile east of Elmwood Park. I have an alarm on my Coocase. Like you say at least it will be noticed if someone messes with it. How grand it is to live in the big city. Makes it even nicer when we get out in the country for a ride.

How's the plan's for your June Rally up in Michigan coming along?

If Bob and I weren't going to Knoxville, TN that week, we would have to consider going up to your rally. Bob's a RailFan. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes   Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disc Lock Do they damage rotors and brakes
Page 1 of 1