Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Output of J Costa Variator

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Output of J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:16 am

Okay, so I don’t read Italian but if I understand this chart correctly from the J Costa website, their variator increases the maximum horsepower from 42.6 to 48.0? And, the maximum torque at the rear wheel from 25.9 to 29.6? Is this correct?

BANCO DE POTENCIA: SD325

INERCIA DEL RODILLO: 3

COMPENSACION CILINDRADA

COMP. NORMA ISO 1585/2535 (temperatura y humedad)

NOTA: Par medido en el rodillo.

NOMBRE DEL ENSAYO POT. MAX. PAR. MAX

SILVER WING 600 SERIE 42.8 / 127 25.9 / 40

SILVER WING 600 VTRANS 48.0 / 97 29.6 / 38

Here is the chart:

..... hmmmm no chart. So ow do I insert the chart? You can see it at:

http://jcosta.uinfor.com/images/zoom/variadores/honda_600.pdf

Thanks in advance for your help. :D

I need someone that understands dyno readings to help me.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi I can't read Italian (or Spanish) either..... Smile

Whilst the J Costa I believe certainly increases torque and power, I doubt that it would be as much as 48 bhp at the rear wheel. I say this because I had my scoot dyno tuned after a J Costa, free flowing exhaust and power commander installed. Total bhp up from around 37 at the rear wheel of a stock S'wing to 45.4bhp a 20% improvement, but the biggest improvement was in the increase in torque now at 66.9nm Below is my dyno chart

https://2img.net/h/i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp188/willbernardo/SwingCustomMap-2.jpg

Even without the power commander and exhaust, the J costa makes a big difference to perfromance :D
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Dennis,

I'm not sure how they came up with the 48 bhp really. Too many others have come up with numbers like Bernardo's, that is also with the Power Commander, and the Leo Vince. The bhp is probably around 40-41 bhp with just the Leo Vince. If you do get one you will impressed by it since just about everyone is. I am going to put my stock variator back in this week or next to see what the stock one is like.

I have to get new pins again for my J. Costa since it seems the rpm's have increased a couple of hundred rpm's at 80 mph. I usually get about 5,900-6,000 at 80 mph and now I'm up around 6,200-6,300 now. So I figure the pins have worn down enough to lighten them a bit, which would increase the rpm's, due to lighter weights. This is just my opinion though.

If you want a bit more performance at a cheaper cost you could just go with lighter weights. I'm not sure if I want to replace my pins every 8,000-10,000 miles since I do put the miles on and the pins are $65.00 a set. So I may play with lighter rollers for the SWing. The rollers last about 20,000 miles from what I understand and are much cheaper too.

Ride safe,

JeffR
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 pm

JeffR wrote:
Dennis,

I'm not sure how they came up with the 48 bhp really. Too many others have come up with numbers like Bernardo's, that is also with the Power Commander, and the Leo Vince. The bhp is probably around 40-41 bhp with just the Leo Vince. If you do get one you will impressed by it since just about everyone is. I am going to put my stock variator back in this week or next to see what the stock one is like.

I have to get new pins again for my J. Costa since it seems the rpm's have increased a couple of hundred rpm's at 80 mph. I usually get about 5,900-6,000 at 80 mph and now I'm up around 6,200-6,300 now. So I figure the pins have worn down enough to lighten them a bit, which would increase the rpm's, due to lighter weights. This is just my opinion though.

If you want a bit more performance at a cheaper cost you could just go with lighter weights. I'm not sure if I want to replace my pins every 8,000-10,000 miles since I do put the miles on and the pins are $65.00 a set. So I may play with lighter rollers for the SWing. The rollers last about 20,000 miles from what I understand and are much cheaper too.

Ride safe,

JeffR

Nooo don't do it Jeff....

Belt slap city, and where has all my acceleration gone, here I come.......

Interesting about the revs.... Mine has always been at about 6200 at 80 since having the stock variator fitted..... How old is your drive belt?

Is it ture what they say that you look just like your avatar? Ha!
Back to top Go down
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 7:50 am

Jeff,
Yeah, I saw that email when you were "attacked" for the 9,000 life of the pins but I didn't know if that was becuase you push your Wing so hard (or use it so much)? I will probably only put 9k per year if I am lucky. Does anyone make heavier pins for the J Costa or isit worth contacting them to find out about the life cycle of their pins? I was stunned at how much yours had worn after 9k. The group I travel with generally are in the 50 to 60 mph range so I don't think I am going to have any problem. Is it the high rpm that bothers you or the lower miles per gallon? I only ever got 33 mpg with my old CB750 so anything over that is a bonus with the Wing. Are you going to try Dr. Phil's? Maybe you should go 90 and that would improve your mileage?? How about Bernardo's ecm thing? I am just trying to understand your thought process on this as I'm sure we will all be there soon. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Bernardo,

No, I don't look anywhere near as cool as my avatar. Homer is kind of like my idol, he messes everything up.. keeps a good attitude.. and lives in a big 2 story house with a big yard. How can it get any better???

Oh, and my belt has only about 7,000-8,000 miles on it. And with the stock variator I don't recall any belt slap with it either. I'm just not sure I want to pay $65.00 every 10 months to buy pins.

Dennis

I do ride mine hard for the most part. When on the interstate I'm always going 80-90 mph indicated so that may be why they wear like they do. Also, I have contacted Matt @ www.scootertrap.com about heavier weights but he said that the company was just trying to keep up with the orders. At that time he couldn't say if/when they would come out with heavier weights. I have the next week days off, since I'm in school in the evening, so maybe I will re-install the stock variator just to see what the difference is. It has been awhile since I have had it on.

I have also read about the "sliders" rollers but on some bikes they have had some problems with them turning. I'm not sure what that means but I think they have a fix in for this. I really don't want to go back to the stock since I really like the J. Costa. We have a lot of hills here and the J. Costa also gives more power braking, which is nice when going down hills. I will post my results, i.e. gas mileage, rpm's etc if/when I do this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Jeff,

So what bike / scoot would Homer ride if he could choose one?

Interesting about the lack of belt slap.... Mine used to really annoy me, though it was only really apparent when setting off. With the J costa installed the "belt slap" vanished. I did check the belt, it had done about 6-8000 miles or so back then and looked fine. On another note, surely $65 every 10 months is a very small price to pay considering the performance benefits.....

Anyway, I look forward to your comparison when you change the variators. I wonder how long you will keep the stock one before changing it back, or putting new rollers in?

I read somewhere aswell that Dr Pulley had come out with a revised set of Rollers that didn't topple...

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Output of J Costa Variator   Output of J Costa Variator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Output of J Costa Variator
Page 1 of 1