Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Longest lasting tires for the rear

Go down 
+5
bigbird
jdeereanton
Windrider
honda_silver
Eldon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Eldon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Eldon

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Longest lasting tires for the rear Empty
PostSubject: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Which is the highest mileage rear tires for the swing have hoops with 10,000 plus on them need to get a new this year.

Thanks scratch
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Eldon wrote:
Which is the highest mileage rear tires for the swing

~38,000 miles on my current Darkside Sumitomo tire.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 am

Bill! What size is your sumitomo tire? I am not due for one yet, but when I do, I am going to the darkside.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 am

Fantastic, another thread about a truly unanswerable question about tires hijacked by the car tire advocates

Search the forum - use "car tire" and if you must "darkside" and you will be rewarded with countless testimonies about the ability of the sumitomo car tire.

If I'm not mistaken it will increase your mileage, it lasts forever, it feeds starving children, it is unquestionable in its attributes, and it can be used, only by the enlightened, as a cure for scurvy, ricketts and some severe forms of cancer. Oh, and you might not believe this little fella, but it will cure your asthma too.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 am

Eldon wrote:
Which is the highest mileage rear tires for the swing have hoops with 10,000 plus on them need to get a new this year.

Thanks scratch

Eldon,

As regards tires designed for our bikes - This is a question that comes up often and it is really a hard one to answer with a definitive answer. So much about the life (mileage longevity) of a particular tire (front or rear) is dependent on the indiviual. Someone riding on a Bridgestone Hoop (OEM) will get 10,000 miles out of it while another riding the same model bike might get just 7,000 while another gets 12,000 and yet another only 4,000.

Why the difference? Elevation, inflation, abrasion, rolling resistance, gross weight of bike with rider and gear, road surface, temperature, ...

There are many variables that are outside of the control of the tire manufacturer. To get the best mileage out of whatever tire you decide to purchase the single most important thing you can do to affect it's life it to check and adjust (as needed) the tire pressure.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 am

jdeereanton wrote:

If I'm not mistaken it will increase your mileage, it lasts forever, it feeds starving children, it is unquestionable in its attributes, and it can be used, only by the enlightened, as a cure for scurvy, ricketts and some severe forms of cancer. Oh, and you might not believe this little fella, but it will cure your asthma too.

Oh, and one more thing, as Steve Jobs says:

Make sure and add some NOTHING to the air going into that new tire.
It's amazing the benefits that a healthy dose of NOTHING can provide.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:27 am

Eldon wrote:

honda_silver wrote:

jdeereanton wrote:
Fantastic, another thread about a truly unanswerable question about tires hijacked by the car tire advocates

If you carefully reread his question, my response directly answers his question ... the only hijack is your rant which has nothing to do with his question.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:33 am

I'd call it a hijack. You mentioned a car tire, then Windrider wants to know about darkside tires. The OP's question goes unanswered and the thread has now taken a left turn going who knows where. The OP was asking about a rear scooter tire, not a car tire.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 am

bigbird wrote:
The OP was asking about a rear scooter tire, not a car tire.

The original poster asked for highest mileage for a rear tire .... nothing about "not a car tire"
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:12 pm

honda_silver wrote:
bigbird wrote:
The OP was asking about a rear scooter tire, not a car tire.

The original poster asked for highest mileage for a rear tire .... nothing about "not a car tire"

Because it wouldn't be a real response without a quote...

There is some requirement to read a little and infer a little in the original post. Reading his post with his reference to the Hoops... and as this is a scooter forum I tend to think he is asking about scooter tires.

It may be hard to believe, but not everyone is waiting to put a car tire on their scoot. There may be some, but they are not the majority.

And so Bill the post before mine doesn't exist? I could forward it to you as it shows up on my screen...
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Lets throw another on in here.....CAR TIRE-CAR TIRE-CAR TIRE OPPS THATS 3 affraid
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Eldon wrote:

Thanks scratch

Eldon,

My wife and I each ride SilverWings. I've never gotten more than 9,000 miles out of a Bidgestone Hoop, she has usually opted to change at the same time I change mine. Could she get more out of hers? Yes. But it just makes our lives a bit easier to keep the maintenance schedule the same, so we change tires at the same time. The last time we changed out I ended up with a Pirelli Diablo as they had one in stock and had a Hoop coming in a shipment. I don't recall how many miles ago that was, and I expect at the next change point I'll go back to the Hoop. Kim is rolling on a Hoop and other than checking tire pressures and surface of the tire we don't give them a second thought.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Windrider wrote:
Bill! What size is your sumitomo tire? I am not due for one yet, but when I do, I am going to the darkside.

jdeereanton wrote:
And so Bill the post before mine
doesn't exist? I could forward it to you as it shows up on my screen...

Dale how is asking about a tire size a problem??
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:39 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Eldon wrote:

honda_silver wrote:
Inserted by jdeereanton to correct the chronology
Windrider wrote:

jdeereanton wrote:

If you carefully reread his question, my response directly answers his question ... the only hijack is your rant which has nothing to do with his question.

Yes I can see how my "rant" (good charcterization by the way) took this off topic. I only said good things about the car tire. And, I can see how you are trying to get it back on topic - I must defer to you, after all you are using a car tire on your scooter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:18 pm

When I read the original post and nobody replied yet I remember thinking "Oh boy, here we go."
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Same here...........I am now just a "spectator" at the site. Cheers....Jeff
Back to top Go down
Eldon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Eldon

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Just a 4 season communter 9000 miles a year looking for motorcycle tire to last a year plus and lowest price possible. Especially after owning a buell that went thru tires every 3000 miles, bike has to pay for itself to keep wife happy.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 7:47 pm

[quote="jdeereanton"]

Last edited by Windrider on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:44 pm

No, I think you were answering the question honestly, I just knew that someone would answer honestly and that would stir up all the people who hate it that people use car tires on scooters.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 1:06 am

For the sake of argument, we know the Sumitomo car tire will go 35-40 thou, if you're willing to live with the compromise. If it suits your riding style and you feel safe about it, I say why not go darkside.

If, however, you're looking for a"proper" motorcycle (scooter) tire, I just replaced my original Bridgestone Hoop at 11.5 K with another Hoop -- part of me wanted something stickier, but I didn't want to replace again at 5-7 thousand either.
Back to top Go down
Boudioue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Boudioue

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 4:26 am

Car tires on a bike ??? On a road with no bend at all ?

I can't answer the question because I dont pay attention to the number of miles...

But what I know is that an old tire with no mile can be more dangerous on a road full of tricky bends that an recent tire with many miles....

Pleasure and security have a cost... I don't try to save money with tires... (I ride my bike everyday of the week to go to work by (nearly) all whether)
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 5:45 am

For clarification I actually don't hate it when people use a car tire or any tire not designed for their bike. Not my choice and I have stated such in the past.

Eldon wrote:
Just a 4 season communter 9000 miles a year looking for motorcycle tire to last a year plus and lowest price possible. Especially after owning a buell that went thru tires every 3000 miles, bike has to pay for itself to keep wife happy.
However - as I read the above (a subsequent post from the original poster) I notice that his inquiry about tires for his scooter posted on a scooter forum appears to be related to scooter tires or motorcycle tires or at the very least tires designed for his ride.

I apologize that my post(s) has(have) stirred such a tempest. I'd encourage those with an interest in car tires to search the forum for the numerous posts about the use of a car tire on the SilverWing. Plenty, at least 8 of them, and no one has shut them down. I've even posted in some of them (not all) and none of my posts state that anyone should not use a car tire.

Eldon, If you got close to 10,000 on the Hoop I'd stay with the Hoop.
Back to top Go down
Boudioue
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Boudioue

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:22 am

Wow ! Car tires, trike with a sw ! what else ? It's amazing how you guys can have ideas that would never come in a european mind ! And the fact that you realize it brillantly commands respect Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longest lasting tires for the rear   Longest lasting tires for the rear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Longest lasting tires for the rear
Page 1 of 1