Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bucket list items...

Go down 
+5
Skippy
bigbird
joncallihan
jdeereanton
Opalsboy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Bucket list items... Empty
PostSubject: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:03 am

MY wife and I are making plans for a trip from Rison to the East Coast and return. Planning for last of March or early April. She still works, so we have to plan around her office schedule.

A few places already on our early itinerary:

Holocaust Memorial in Whitwell TN
Biltmore Park in Asheville NC area
Tail of The Dragon Near Asheville (?)
Kitty Hawk, NC
Gettysburg, PA

We have 13 or 14 days to make the circle. Goal is to plan on 400 to 450 miles per day. So, we will do a LOT of riding to make this happen. We want to see parts of our country from a different perspective, but don't want to make it WORK doing that. May not have time for complete list. The northern swing may have to be eliminated. The rest of the list above are almost requirements for my bucket list.

I would appreciate any local information for any of the places I listed or if you have suggestions for places that will be along our route near these place. I have been unable to ride for months now and Deb and I are going to make up for lost time. We would like to meet up with any one along the way at least to say howdy and get a quick hug.

To keep this thread from getting out of hand, you might prefer to PM me or get my email through a PM. I really am soliciting your suggestions. Have a great day and take a kid riding today.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 am

U.S. Space and Rocket Center, Huntsville, AL (The Rocket City)

Cherohala Skyway - from Tellico Plains, TN to Robbinsville, NC. End up 15 miles from the Dragon (Deals Gap) Ride the Dragon from NC to TN then ride through the Great Smoky Mountains Park over to Cherokee, NC - take Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:29 am

Gary,

I have one very real suggestion -- based on personal experience -- don't try for 400 - 450 mile days. The first couple are ok, the the next few are maybe ok, the rest are drudgery. Shoot for 350 or so and all will be good.

Add to the above, you will still be learning to drive, rather than ride, the bike. I have over 2000 miles now on the Danson, I'm almost comfortable with the driving mentality.

I hope that the Russell folks will have the saddle done by then?

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 11:42 am

On my bucket list is the installation of a switched trunk light, just like my Canadian Idol, Pendragon, did.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Don't even consider trying to do 450 miles or so each day (unless you have done a lot of practice runs), you might managed two or even the first three days but come day four you will be so tired that it becomes dangerous.

Plan to do shorter and shorter mileages as the days pass or it becomes a real drag racing to make the next check point, taking all the fun out of the trip.

Heck, do the first 450 miles in one day, but then insert a 200 mile ride the next nothing wrong with that, just stay safe. Nothing more dangerous on the road than a tired rider, except maybe a tired driver!!

Have a great trip and take it easy.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm

If you are on trike, probably your daily mileage too high for any fun. Small gas tank, poor mileage can be drag.

I used to plan on 400 miles a day---regardless of bike and wanting to enjoy and if cold not freeze to death. When I had time. I am traveler, not tourist.

Two up takes longer.

500 a day is boring.

Time has to be alloted for fixing stuff, flat tire/broken belt, etc.

And then there is this.....do you ride everyday/in shape? I can sit on SilverWing all day with little discomfort (no underwear in summer) but limiting factor is the buffeting for me. How are you equipped for foul weather? Only professional quality and rubber boots work, period.

Carrying junk. My riding gear takes up space, when it gets too hot it has to be stored.

I can see and did many big mileage days in US west----but we still in this country cannot ride really fast to make it exciting. Then, if cost is no object, stay in decent places-----when I use back roads old style mon & pop ok
Get on main highways----will use expensive stuff, never make reservations as this can make you ride farther than you or your body really want too.

Drink lots of water......make sure passenger isn't dying.

Get off to early start----I usually like to ride 100 miles before breakfast. Start looking for place to stay early.

Long bike trips are no big deal, if you do it right. I probably have ridden US coast to coast at least 20 times. And will continue until I croak.

Have fun.

John Grinsel Hope trailer bikers are enjoying themselves at scooter rally in FL and later at bike week.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: still have stuff to give away   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 pm

I still have things to give away

#1 Clearview shield with GoldWing Vent, all hardware.

#2 Back rest kit

#3 Laminar "Ears"

Would prefer somebody on bike to pick up.....as I am supporter of riding. But????

Have Shop Manual---genuine Honda $25 and I will mail it.

Ears and back rest may fit into Priority Mail box, two boxes.

Shipping of windshield cost may exceed its value---about $60 UPS packing and shipping.

Try 715-894-7857 jgrinsel@yahoo.com

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Gary,

For the first time, JG made a lot of common sense. I agree with almost all of what he wrote. (except when he tried to hijack the thread with his sales pitch). :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah Skippy as some of the members that have been on here for a WHILE will already know that I went to sleep on my scooter late one afternoon returning from a long trip to Corpus Christi TX. I know better now. And with my wife on the passenger seat, I don't have to worry about the sleeping thing, but the fatigue can be a problem.

Thanks for the responses so far. The first leg of our journey will probably be the longest. Between 350 -- 400 miles. We will stop a bunch to catch our breath every 45 minutes or so. Will spend the night close enough to Whitwell to get there in very short trip. Plan to spend a couple/three hours in Whitwell. After that, the schedule is open. Lots to do around Asheville. I have a nephew that is an apartment manager that has offered us an apartment while we are in that area. Then it is on to Kitty Hawk. Then if there is time, we will run up to Gettysburg. Return home is just wide open. Will break that up as needed to get home to get the little lady back on the job.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Gary, I hope the northern swing makes the cut. Gettysburg is a very short distance from my home. Without question, I would be pleased to meet both of you, but would also happily check out accommodations and whatnot for you. There are plenty of heavily advertised, national chains operating in the area, but also quite a few establishments that are better known locally. Just as an example, bus and auto tours of Gettysburg are available and well known, but horseback and Segway tours from small local operators are another way to get around. And, if you prefer the downtown area versus the more commercialized area just south of town, I could separate them. Most of downtown is a fairly easy walk; touring the battlefield can take a few hours to a couple of days depending on how much you want to take in.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Gary,

If you really plan on going all the way to Kitty Hawk, keep in mind that it's a long way from Asheville -- in fact, it's three hours of really boring flat, straight two-lane east of I-95. That's something most folks who travel that superslab can't quite comprehend. Bottom line: figure two days each way between Asheville and Kitty Hawk.

If you get to Gettysburg, go to Hershey and take the missus to Hershey World; it's not far. You can smell the chocolate in the parking lot. And be sure to spend some time on the Skyline Drive/BRP as you head back south. Figure in a couple extra days there too, though.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:11 am

roadrunner wrote:
Bottom line: figure two days each way between Asheville and Kitty Hawk.

Or longer if you travel to Kitty Hawk on the week-end. The traffic to the rental homes can be very very slow both to and from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bucket list items...   Bucket list items... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bucket list items...
Page 1 of 1