Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kisan headlight modulator

Go down 
+10
russcarver
lcseds
DennisB
bigbird
The D
jdeereanton
redeye
Opalsboy
exavid
CathyN
14 posters
AuthorMessage
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Kisan headlight modulator Empty
PostSubject: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Bigbird,

I am planning on adding a Kisan headlight modulator on my 09. I see you have one on yours. When I looked at Kisan' site for the correct part number, there is P115W-D and there is P115W-DHL for the silverwing. I think it is P115W-DHL. What did you put on your swing?

Anyone else who has input on this I will welcome your input.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 am

I have half a P115W-D modulator on my Silverwing. It's connected to the high beam lamp only. I had a left over modulator from my previous Goldwing after I sold it so installed it on my scooter. I tried modulating both lights and just the high beam and decided on just modulating the high beam light. I mounted the sensor in front of the windshield about halfway between the base of the windshield and the top of the vent.
I've been using a modulator for the past six years and can vouch for the fact that they get attention. On more than one occasion a car has started to pull out from a side road and then stopped suddenly when they spotted that flashing light. Once in awhile someone pulls over to let me by thinking I'm riding an emergency vehicle. I don't like people mistaking me for a motorcop but at least theys saw me. I doubt you can put anything on a bike that will improve the safety of the rider any better than a modulator.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 7:14 am

Exavid thanks for your input. Bob has a modulator on his bike and swears by it. I believe he has ordered the P115W-DHL. It was kind of confusing the picture they showed on the website.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 am

Exdavid... I have the modulating HL and love it. Like you I have had vehicles stop after seeingg them. A friend of mine here in town even told me that he almost pulled out once but saw the flashing so, he waited for me to pass.

I put the modulation right under "HELMET" for accessories to add for safety.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:06 am

Interesting observations. The main reason that I have not installed a headlight modulator is how a flashing headlight is interpreted. In many situations, a rider/driver appearing to flash his or her headlights is interpreted by oncoming drivers as, "You go first, and I'll adjust to your movements." In the circumstances you are describing above, this would be the wrong message.

For instance, if I'm at a four-way stop intersection, and there is a pickup truck driver to my right, a quick flash of my high beams tells him to proceed so we don't enter the intersection at the same time. Although constant modulation of the high beams isn't the same thing, I'm concerned as much about what the oncoming driver perceives as what I'm trying to communicate.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 am

Good though Steve. For me, just being seen and creating a cushion of "interpretation" time is a good thing. I can wait a long time at a four way for intersection to clear. It is the approaching vehicle that is going to make a left turn right into my face that I want to get the attention of. More and more modulating headlights are becoming common on the road today. And as motorist are more familiar with them, they will communicate "SEE ME".

No safety mod will stop all accidents. We still have to be alert to the dangers out there. Drive safe.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 am

Opalsboy wrote:
...No safety mod will stop all accidents. We still have to be alert to the dangers out there. Drive safe.

Shocked Tsk, tsk - you're placing responsibility back onto us as individuals, that's just crazy. Shocked Razz
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks, Gary. That seems a well reasoned approach to the issue. I like Dale's comment (darned personal responsibility!) but ultimately there are few if any "all or nothing" solutions. Safety measures are about reducing the probability of accidents knowing we can never drive the probability all the way down to zero and still keep doing what we enjoy so much.
Back to top Go down
The D
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The D

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm confused! Is the D or the DHL the one to buy? Question

I always ride with my Hi-Beam on.
Back to top Go down
The D
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The D

PostSubject: P115W-DHL? HL Modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:25 am

CathyN wrote:
Exavid thanks for your input. Bob has a modulator on his bike and swears by it. I believe he has ordered the P115W-DHL. It was kind of confusing the picture they showed on the website.

Is this the part to order? The website is definitely confusing to me!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:07 pm

The correct part # is P115W-DHL with the PA-H4 adapters.

Even though our bulbs are H7, the H4 adapter is recommended by Kisan. The reason is that our H7 bulbs fit better into the H4 adapters. The H4 adapter has 3 slots, the H7 bulb has 2 prongs, so obviously one slot on the H4 adapter is left empty and unused.

BTW, I didn't order direct from Kisan, as they were too pricey.
I ordered from these guys:

http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AIM&Product_Code=KSP115WDHL-ATT

They have free shipping and seemed like they knew what they were talking about on the phone.
Back to top Go down
The D
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The D

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks for the info bigbird!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:51 pm

The D... I have the SD unit. Here is a link to look at... This works great and is a lot less expensive.

Just for your consideration. I get no commission. silent

http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=35&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77&vmcchk=1&Itemid=77
Back to top Go down
The D
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The D

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
The D... I have the SD unit. Here is a link to look at... This works great and is a lot less expensive.

Just for your consideration. I get no commission. silent

http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=35&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77&vmcchk=1&Itemid=77

Where's the link? Smile Ooops!!!!!! Found it!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Not knocking SD at all, but the reason they are a lot cheaper is because they require splicing into the existing headlight wiring. Opalsboy, I, and many others might have no problem with that. But for people without test lights or the wiring diagram from the service manual and no wiring experience, this may present as a daunting procedure.

Kisan is strictly plug and play, no splicing required.

The D and CathyN need to know that.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks everyone. Bob ordered the P115W-DHL. Bigbird I will show him your post about the PA-H4 adapter. It makes sense to me now. Bob works with electrical diagrams etc. in his work. So he is very good with electrical issues. Me I'll be the one looking like a power ranger. I have no clue.

All of you on this forum are very helpful and it makes all these improvements on our swings easier for all of us to enjoy the ride.

Thanks again Guys. cheers motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks for that information Big Guy... I had a special tool in my box for installation of my modulator. It is very special but not too hard to find... called DennisB. He installed mine while doing the Steble horn, Givi adjustable windshield and some other things last fall. I helped a little. I believe I could have done the wiring myself with just a little help from Dennis or someone like you that could tell me which wire to tap. Dennis has sent me some very good wiring diagrams in the past for other things.

Any way... having the hint about all the options (spicing wires, matching wires, cost ect.) before making an investment in any mod is what makes this forum so special. I would only recommend the SD, not INSIST that it is the only option. It does a very good job, if you can install or have it installed. Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 am

One good thing about the plug and play Kisan is that if you change bikes you can take the modulator off and put it on another.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 am

The way I set up Gary's headlight modulator makes it a true Plug and Play. It just plugs into the 2 halves of the stock Honda front cowling 9 pin connector. The flasher unit is Velcroed onto the back of the head light housing on a flat area that is just perfect for this application. Seems to work well.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Dennis said: Seems to work well.

Gary says: " Yep".
Back to top Go down
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Is the H4 adapter part of the kit, or do they need to be ordered separately?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 2:11 pm

lcseds wrote:
Is the H4 adapter part of the kit, or do they need to be ordered separately?

It's part of the kit.
But, you can order them separately and install the wire ends into the modulator module. They are simple screw down connectors for the wire ends.
You would order different adapters if you swapped the original module out to a different bike that had different bulbs or your original adapters got damaged.
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Installed the Kisan P115W-DHL with the PA-H4 adapters (pre-attached) on my 2009 today.

Took off the tupperware (4 screws) just below the windshield as mentioned here (two screws are at the vent and two are on the dashboard side).  This makes it MUCH easier to get to the low-beam headlight.  FYI, the bottom clip on each side of the tupperware "unlatches" by sliding the tupperware downwards.

Tested each bulb after plugging each connector back in and all was well.  Routed the sensor wire up the edge of the windshield so it pokes out at the end of the tupperware.  As I was tugging on the wire, the chrome end came off!  I thought I broke it, but it appears to be just a housing and was fine after reattached.

Tested everything again and no headlights turned on at all!!!  Thought I shorted something for sure.  Turns out one of the wires came unplugged from the module during the sensor wire installation.  Screwed them all in nice and tight (I suggest doing this before installing as it'll be MUCH easier to do then).

Put everything back together and volia!  I'll have to calibrate when it's daylight.  I tried to do so in the garage, but I got no confirmation flashes (4 or Cool from the high-beam light.  Must be too dark...

--Russ

Last edited by russcarver on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 3:13 am

I've had the Kisan unit for years both on my Silverwing and my current bike.
Its really important to both consider sensor placement and calibrate carefully.
If you live in a city with good street lighting it can fool the sensor into thinking its daytime.
Also when sitting in traffic at night the reflection of your own headlight back at you from a shiny bumper on the car in front of you can make it think its daylight.

I recommend a slightly recessed area facing straight up, so light from other sources coming in at an angle can't hit it.

Dan
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 12:46 pm

This morning on the way to work, I ended up behind an unmarked police car. He flashed his red/blue lights in his rear window and moved to the right lane. As I came up beside him, he pointed at my headlight and made a flashy motion with his hand. I simply nodded and continued on my way. He didn't pull me over or anything. The instructions clearly state it's not illegal. It even stopped flashing when I went under some bridges (for a few seconds). A lot of other cars were moving slower in front of me and one even moved out of my lane (from in front of me). It sure is nice to have more people being safer around me.

In the interest of verifying the law, I found a site (http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws-Database/state/co) stating that in CO: "Modulating headlight permitted per Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, 571.108". It had a link to the regulation (https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2000-title49-vol5/pdf/CFR-2000-title49-vol5-sec571-108.pdf) and I read most of it too. It states (in section S5.5.10 (b)): "Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for signaling purposes;" but also says in subsection (c) that: "A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6". Section 5.6 has only one word 'Reserved'.

The Kisan modulates both low and high beams. I can unplug either, but does (c) mean different things when a motorcycle has two lights (one for high and one for low) versus just one light? Am I grasping here?

Thoughts?

--Russ
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Bothers other people. Gives false sense of security-----better to work on riding and traffic skills.
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am one of the most defensive drivers you'll find. I always leave a 2-3 second gap in front of me (and try in back too), and just slow down when people shoot into my front gap. Most of my riding is on highways - and I use the toll roads as it's free here in CO plus less traffic.

But people aren't watching - especially as it gets colder and there are less of us around...

I'll use nearly anything to help me be seen more.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 4:21 pm

In the UK, modulators are forbidden. I have fitted some steady green led running lamps. These are quite legal here and I find they certainly get noticed. Many drivers seem to wonder what they're seeing and just move out of the way. It helps when filtering. When I've followed friends, they always know where I am. Very good at night too.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2016 11:03 pm

I put the sensor on the front bezel just in front of the air inlet on my two SWs. That position worked well, the sensor was vertically aligned so on coming traffic at night didn't turn it back on. As soon as I get a few bucks to shake loose I'll be putting one on my GT. I tried once before but Kisan's fitment guide was in error on my bike. I ended up sending the plug and play unit that didn't, back to them. Next time I'll go for the wired in unit.
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2016 11:46 pm

For now, I've decided to leave it as is and have both headlights modulate.  I'm interpreting the law as that I can't have them modulate when on both switch settings (high beam and low beam).  Currently, they both modulate only when high beams are turned on (and it's NOT dark of course).

Last edited by russcarver on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 8:10 am

russcarver wrote:
For now, I've decided to leave it as is and have both headlights modulate.  I'm interpreting the law as that I can't have them modulate when on both switch settings (high beam and low beam).  Currently, they both modulate only when high beams are turned on (and it's dark of course)

Why on earth would you want a modulating headlight system varying  brightness when you are riding at night? Not only is that dangerous & confusing to on coming traffic but it also sounds personaly suicidal.

Tim
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 8:24 am

Oops! Left out one key word - NOT [dark]. LOL
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 12:29 am

The federal law in the subject requires the sensor to prevent modulation after dusk. Depending on how you mount the sensor some times riding under bright street lights at night the system will flash a few times. Mounting the sensor where it's aimed nearly vertical will help prevent that. It will also prevent the system from flashing if a car headlights hit it.
Some states like WA and OR recommend riding with the high beam on during daylight hours. The intent being that low beam doesn't show up as well on motorcycles in daylight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kisan headlight modulator   Kisan headlight modulator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kisan headlight modulator
Page 1 of 1