Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
lesley & John
FlyingWing
7 posters
AuthorMessage
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights Empty
PostSubject: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

I have 26,000 miles on my Swing and have never changed the belt or weights. time is coming soon for that and i have read extensively through this forum for info(very helpful).

I want to know if i have the original variator then all i need to order are the rollers weights as shown in the honda fiche on different part sites and possibly the spacers along with the belt, right?

I have run across the link below showing how to change pins which i think applies to the jcosta variator. I dont wanna order the wrong parts.

http://scootertrap.com/Silverwingbeltandpinchange.pdf

As far as the belt goes, i will most likely order the OEM honda belt because of price and the Kevlar belt appears to be unavailable at the moment. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 pm

flyingwing you are correct i would order the oem belt and the rollers are 28gram i think there size is 28/20 and there are 8.currently i am thinking of changing mine to 24gram for better acceleration.all the best
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Jeff R (our forum owner) has a great changing the belt 'How to' pictorial elsewhere on this site.

Go with the OEM Honda belt. NOT with an aftermarket belt. The "Kevlar" aftermarket belts have not held up well at all, while the OEM belts are made with Kevlar. It's just that Honda doesn't make such a big deal about it.

As Lesley noted, the OEM variator roller weights are 28 gram. There are lighter weight aftermarket rollers and sliding roller weights (most notably from Dr Pulley) available which will improve the performance.

The most dramatic performance improvement will be from 21 gram rollers, but many us us here have had great success and a good compromise between performance & fuel economy by changing to 26 or 24 gram roller or slider weights.

The Dr Pulley slider weights are currently ~$50 while the roller weight are a bit cheaper.

I have been using the Dr Pulley 28 gram sliders for several years and have been very happy with the improvement.

Tim
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:09 pm

LESLEY....if i am reading correctly....there should be eight rollers in the order?

COSMIC....i agree, ihave found from owning one other scooter that ordering OEM parts sure works best....takes the guess work out of it.

Do any of you order the spacers that hold the rollers in place. I had a chinese scooter once and didnt order the spacers and when i took the variator apart the spacers disintegrated on me and it was not pretty....LET ME KNOW, please.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi Flying Wing, There are no spacers.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:44 pm

hey dennis...im not using the correct verbage....its called a piece set....i pasted the link below.....on the fiche it is number one that im questioning...

Piece set
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Flying Wing,

You just need to order the belt and the rollers, or the sliders if that is what you want. Just follow the Pictorial and change out the belt and rollers and all will be good.

Matt, at scootertrap.com , is a great guy to deal with. His customer service is top notch. If you have any questions just get back to us and we should be answer your questions.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:39 pm

PIECE SET, SLIDE
22011-MCT-305

Not to costly. I don't think to many people have replaced them. Might be a good Idea to have a set on hand.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Yes, dennis, i was thinking for only $7 i wouldnt be out much if i need them. Thanks Jeff and bigbird.....BTW that scooter trap link.....i found it on this forum so i didnt bring it in from abroad.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah, order the Piece Set too. I've replaced mine and they seem to make the variator sheave move in & out more smoothly. Cuts back on the variator rattle too.

FWIW, If you feel that you should replace the variator rollers don't order the OEM rollers. Go with a set of Dr Pulley's. They are a real improvement over the OEM rollers.

Tim
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:46 pm

COSMIC....they appear like they would mimic gears(DRPULLEYS). I have been pretty happy with the OEM rollers...exactly what do you like most about the DR. PULLEY rollers?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:23 am

FlyingWing wrote:
COSMIC....they appear like they would mimic gears(DRPULLEYS). I have been pretty happy with the OEM rollers...exactly what do you like most about the DR. PULLEY rollers?

- Lower RPM crusing
- Different weights based on your need

OEM
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights Rollerweighttop

Dr Pulley
Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights Drpulleyslidephoto
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 am

thanks bill.....great illustration.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights   Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need clarity on Drive Belt and Weights
Page 1 of 1