Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Mods for my Flying Wing

Go down 
+5
Meldrew
Skippy
bigbird
Waspie
FlyingWing
9 posters
AuthorMessage
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

Mods for my Flying Wing Empty
PostSubject: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I prefer to keep my bike as close to stock as possible without drilling holes for switches and such but i have made a few changes that i felt were necessary......
Mods for my Flying Wing 28lxvd2
Mods for my Flying Wing 2h6yttz
top..Oktoberfest in Addison, Tx ..bottom..driveway in Texas
Mods for my Flying Wing 1zq8vog
Mods for my Flying Wing 6ygu4p
top/bottom..installed power outlet through the opening.
Mods for my Flying Wing 2j4eo7s
Mods for my Flying Wing 2rz27ol
top..lexan lip ext....bottom ....switch for grip heater kit
Mods for my Flying Wing 29e21ih
Mods for my Flying Wing 14dq7ab
top...darkside sumitomo..bottom..fused power to front
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 am

I too like stock - BUT!!!!!!

I have changed my screen to the Givi airflow!! On UK 'Wings' the power outlet is stock anyway!

The one thing I cannot get my head round is the fitting of the car tyre to the rear of the Silver Wings. I know folk do and have read much on the matter but cannot understand it. Not meant as a criticism, it's me not understanding the need or reason.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 am

That tire on the back looks.....out of place.
How can you corner at even modest bank angles with that?
I don't think my Swing driving habits would be compatible with a car tire.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 am

Each to their own as far as I'm concerned, however I think HOnda designed the SWing with a modern rounded scooter tyre in mind - any idea if this effects your insurance???

I'm sure as hell here in the UK failure to disclose that modification would certainly invalidate your cover and used against you in a court of law if you were involved in accident Sad
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 am

I wish the U.S.A Swing came stock with a power outlet....but it dont. as far as the car tire....I am very tired of replacing a rear tire every few months(approx 4-5000 miles)...this car tire promises 40-50,000 miles of service for the same price of a short lived scooter tire. As far as cornering, I havent had any problems. When that tire has approx. 30 lbs psi, it doesnt look fully inflated(kinda like a radial looks a little low but its not) so when you lean the tire conforms to the flat surface. The initial change from the scoot tire was a bit of a shock for the first week because the new car tire was stiff and i was accustomed to the scoot tire....Its the best mod ive done to my bike.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 am

I'm very much of the same opinion as my fellow UK riders Waspie and Skippy. Apart from insurance companies, I'm sure the Police over here and in countries like Germany would find some reason to prosecute as well. I can vaguely rememember an article in a scooter magazine years ago where someone had fitted a modified steel car wheel and tyre to an early 400 Burgman. The guy was a London dispatch rider or do you say motorcycle messenger in the US.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the term 'darkside', what's that all about? it sounds rather sinister, but more interesting than "I've gone and fitted a car tyre on my scooter".
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am

I would really prefer that this not turn into a car tire discussion. We have plenty of those as stand alone threads. https://www.silverwing600.com/t1576-darksideyes-or-no.

So it seems that you have gotten your grip heaters installed. are they all you hoped for?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 am

OK, putting car tyres on a scooter is something we don't do on this side of the Atlantic. Apart from a very small minority I'd also say we don't have much use for drinks holders, radar detectors, satellite radios, auxiliary fuel tanks, CB radios, deer whistles, pavement wetting systems, leather chaps, custom made seats, heated clothing, bandanas, and headlight modulators either. Smile
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 1:31 pm

I posted pics of my mods....didnt start a car tire discussion...but it does work for me.....But HEY....those grip warmers i installed work great and i bet those are legal in the U.K. and now im like the rest of the modern world with a power outlet on my Swing. That Lexan extension that i fitted relieved all buffeting. I also installed windguards from the same material to keep the cold air from blowing directly on my hands, so im good to go :-)
Back to top Go down
JohnJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 5:07 pm

ooooooh - Nice One Meldrew!
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Meldrew....i have got to get a cupholder so i will have a place for my beer :-)
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mods for my Flying Wing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:24 am

Meldrew wrote:
OK, putting car tyres on a scooter is something we don't do on this side of the Atlantic. Apart from a very small minority I'd also say we don't have much use for drinks holders, radar detectors, satellite radios, auxiliary fuel tanks, CB radios, deer whistles, pavement wetting systems, leather chaps, custom made seats, heated clothing, bandanas, and headlight modulators either. Smile
But you did buy a Bagster apron. Haven't seen those on this side of the pond.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 am

I havent bought an apron and probably wont....North texas weather is usually warm or hot with a short exception in the winter. There are so many accessories available that i try not to get carried away with accessories.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:48 am

Considering what I have read about the insurance companies in the UK, I can understand WHY no one there is interested in ANY mods. Here we have the freedom of choosing so many of them we sometimes get into a pissing contest as to who can stack more mods on our scoots. Some are performance enhancers, some are cosmetic but unless it in some way does lessen safety in some way, mods are what make our rides "my ride". I read about J-costa weights, mapping, dark side tires, pot holders... opps.. I mean cup holders and one of mine and Dales favorite... oil brands. Some interest me, some don't. I love having choices. I learn about most of them here, from you.
FlyingWing... thanks for telling us about yours. What a nice looking Swing you have.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 am

thanks for the compliment on my Swing......just like you...my swing is my Baby Darlin. She gets my motor running. As far as the car tire, the only reason i did that is for longevity...my bike should have @ 65,000 to 70,000 miles next time i need a rear tire change. The grip warmers were the second best thing i did....then the lexan windshield extension keeps the buffeting down. Installing my GPS next.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
Considering what I have read about the insurance companies in the UK, I can understand WHY no one there is interested in ANY mods. Here we have the freedom of choosing so many of them we sometimes get into a pissing contest as to who can stack more mods on our scoots. Some are performance enhancers, some are cosmetic but unless it in some way does lessen safety in some way, mods are what make our rides "my ride".

I bought my black SWing new in November 2010, and it's got a front mudflap, fork protectors, lower wind deflectors, Dennis B GPS mount, TomTom Rider sat nav, and heated grips. I've got a Givi Airflow screen I've yet to fit, and the usual stuff like Givi E52 and E55 topcases fitted with backrests, 'moto detail' tunnel bag, Givi T421 35l saddle bags, Airhawk seat, a selection of Ortleib and Wüdo waterproof duffel bags, and a Pacsafe 55l steel mesh luggage net for added security.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Boy... you sure like to live on the edge... Smile You ever worry about insurance balking at paying a claim? I am/was just expressing the feelings I have been given by some of your countrymen about not even putting things like Decals on out of fear of insurance companies disqualifying a claim. I am really glad to hear that things are not as bad I was thinking. You obviously have some great mods. We share some of the same items. I certainly did not intend to be critical of the UK. Only that it has sounded like the insurance business there is a lot different than here.
The idea of individual preference of installing any mod is just that..."a preference". No requirements are necessary to add to the fact that we are owners and riders of a great machine. Straight out of the box. The mods you have added prove my point. They are on "your ride". Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:47 pm

With the plethora of Insurance companies in the UK it can be a minefield when making claims. Their policies are shrouded in legal jargon and hidden clauses and penalties.

The easiest way to survive any claim is simply not to modify or even make a claim. Insurance companies over here see cosmetic modifications, fitting say decals as making the bike more attractive to theives!!!! So they will hike up the insurance premium.

UK insurance companies will and do look for any loophole as an excuse not to pay out in the event of a claim.

The classic is "you never informed us of adding *insert mod* therefore we are not honouring your claim".

Add to the Insurance problem over here many folk find acquiring mods and fitting them to be too much trouble. The range of mods in Japan and the States is way more than here in Smallville!!!! That said, the internet has opened up the world for me and getting hold of anything is so much easier, also cost.

When I last visited the States way back I was amazed at the amount of car shops that did superb body work, mods and paint jobs on panel vans and the like. Here in the UK to get that sort of work done was mega bucks. So it doesn't suprise me that the opportuniity to modify bikes is better than over here.

For me a modification has to have a benifit to me, my heated grips, paying dividends this time of the year. The Give Airflow screen, has improved the sound quality around my head. The Givi back rest keeps Mrs Waspie on the bike and assists in her cat naps whilst in transit. The engine mods and such are not for me. I like the power the 'Wing' produces and the braking is fine.

But keep up posting the mods, I'm sure one will be posted and I will say - Mmmmm must have that. As far as the tyre - I was simply curious as to why. The other thread has kinda answered that. That is a mod I won't be considering as I like throwing the Wing around and the cost at this moment in time ain't a problem.

You gotta love a lively debate. Wink Hope no one is offended by my comments there not intended too.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Speaking of mods... Doug... do you have one of the X-Plane mods? I want one of those myself.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Gary I tried fitting wings to my Wing but they just keep flying off!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mods for my Flying Wing   Mods for my Flying Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mods for my Flying Wing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: