Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

transmission 'oil'

Go down 
+4
MikeO
BlackFly
DennisB
Texas Viper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Texas Viper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-10

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 6:07 pm

I see mixed messages of the suggested lubricant to use in the transmission(not even mentioned in the owner's handbook, by the way). I use 'gear oil' in my Aprilia's and some of the forum guys say use 'regular' engine oil - - - ok, what's the best. Also - - how much? I can always measure the stuff that comes out but I'd rather know what should be in there - - help me out - - thanks,

tj
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey Texas Viper,

Most of use just go with what the shop manual states, and that is the same oil you use in the motor.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 7:01 pm

You need 0,32l if you change the oil. I don't know, do you know liter? Wink
0,32liter are 0,34 US Quarts
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Good job with the pictorial section!
I only have the problem that i'm a german guy and i have no idea how much 10oz are Wink
I try my best and give this information from my german garage manual but i have to convert the values because i think you have the same problem with liter like me with oz Wink
The used oil in the pictorial 75-90w is it the normal engine oil? Because the engine oil is called 10w40 in germany...
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 7:22 pm

Easy...Put in bottom drain plug, after draining old oil, then install bottom plug. Then add oil into the top filler hole until it starts to come out and then screw in the top stopper. Your done. I use 10W40 also.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 7:00 am

1 fl oz us = 30ml
Therefore 10fl oz = 300ml

1 fl oz imp = 28ml

Smile
Back to top Go down
Texas Viper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-10

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks everybody - - My Aprilias (both the little Mojito and the big Scarabeo) use gear oil so I opted for 'Bey-Ray' hypoid gear oil - SAE 80w-90. Anybody see any reason I shouldn't use this stuff in the Wing too?
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:03 am

It is not the recommended from Honda but i think there is no technical issue to do not use it, possibly it can be the better oil for this purpose regardless the recommandation from Honda. I think both will work but if you have garantee it can be a problem in case of a defect!
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Texas Viper wrote:
I see mixed messages of the suggested lubricant to use in the transmission(not even mentioned in the owner's handbook, by the way). I use 'gear oil' in my Aprilia's and some of the forum guys say use 'regular' engine oil - - - ok, what's the best. Also - - how much? I can always measure the stuff that comes out but I'd rather know what should be in there - - help me out - - thanks,

tj
Sorry! Honda will NOT convince me that 10W30 MOTOR OIL will adequately lube TRANSMISSION GEARS. I use Amsoil 80/90 synthetic gear lube.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 6:59 pm

I agree with a comment made by BigBird on another post. Don't second guess Honda on this. They are way smarter than most of us. I have had a number of Honda cars with manual transmissions, and guess what they recomment for transmission oil? 10W30... the same thing that goes in the crankcase. I put in Mobile-1, and ran it for 200,000 miles with the smoothest shifting transmission I ever had. No problems of ANY sort. You will NOT convince me that Honda does not know what they are doing.

Last edited by GaryL on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling correction.)
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 2:05 am

GaryL wrote:
I agree with a comment made by BigBird on another post. Don't second guess Honda on this. They are way smarter than most of us. I have had a number of Honda cars with manual transmissions, and guess what they recomment for transmission oil? 10W30... the same thing that goes in the crankcase. I put in Mobile-1, and ran it for 200,000 miles with the smoothest shifting transmission I ever had. No problems of ANY sort. You will NOT convince me that Honda does not know what they are doing.

+1 on Bigbird. My manual ford ranger uses motor oil as well. I use 10-30 mobil one t4 synth n my Silverwing, front and back.
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 am

After having worked for and with Honda for 25+ years in motorcycle, Honda car and Acura, I pretty much trust what they have to say.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

transmission 'oil' Empty
PostSubject: Re: transmission 'oil'   transmission 'oil' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

transmission 'oil'
Page 1 of 1