Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System Empty
PostSubject: Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:14 am

I would like to know if any one has had any experience with the air pressure monitors.
I had a flat on my rear tire after a 150 mile long ride.
I had no idea until almost home, that anything was wrong.
I am referring to the sensors that either screw int the valve stem or the ones that are inserted into the valve after the tire is removed.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:27 am

I have read up on these products and there are more negative aspects to them than positives.

One motoring association, (UK), wrote an article stating that the additional mass attached to the stem of the valve can actually cause the valve stem to leave the wheel rim and cause catastrophic deflation of the tyre.

As a result I thought weekly tyre pressure checks and pre ride visual inspection was a lot less traumatic than losing a tyre at speed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:22 pm

There's been a lot of talk on some of the Goldwing boards about the 90 degree valve stems being bent down by centripetal force at speed. Some claim that the little plastic gizmo on the stem is to prevent that. Actually Honda says it's there to prevent the valve stem from being damaged by pressing too hard with a tire gauge or inflator chuck. Pressing the stem back with either can cause the rubber at the base to crack. I tended to change the valve stems with every other tire until I put in the metal ones that bolt in the wheel. These types may also leak but not very likely to leak as fast as a rubber one that broke off. At least on the SW it's only the rear one you have to be careful with. I also used small tie-wraps to secure the plastic piece to the stem to prevent losing it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: tire   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Good idea to check tire before ride, at least a look at and kick at each rest stop.

You should have "feeling" for change in feel as it gets softer.....and stop. Carry at least basic tire repair junk and pump as get home measure. Dealer probably do not have tire in stock.

Rider responsibilty----What was cause of flat, nail? at valve stem?

I recently had on return trip from VA---loss of air down to 20 psi ...for what appeared no reason-----I pulled wheel, did soap test, no bubbles---tire is trash, early at 100 miles it had small tack, I sealed leak....but should have thrown tire out and replaced.....it had passed bubble test.

Tires connection between life and death.

Some people have had trouble with non-stock valves-----valves should be changed with each tire change-----not done very often. valve with sealing valve cap good idea.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:48 pm

John,

There was a lot of information in this post without attacking ... thanks.

john grinsel wrote:
Good idea to check tire before ride, at least a look at and kick at each rest stop. You should have "feeling" for change in feel as it gets softer.....and stop.

Each time I take the Silverwing, as soon as I get to a safe dry (no crowns or bumps) with minimal traffic ... I start a slow slalom weave moving toward a stronger slalom weave. The slalom weave helps me to accomplish two things:

1) clear the tires
2) check the tire from tire response

john grinsel wrote:
Rider responsibilty----What was cause of flat, nail? at valve stem?

I recently had on return trip from VA---loss of air down to 20 psi ...for what appeared no reason-----I pulled wheel,

Was the tire a front tire or rear tire??
Did you pull the wheel on the roadside??

I would be curious of all the specific tools you carry for the SWing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:34 am

Rather than weave-----get down on knees rotate rear tire complete 360 degrees and run hand over in addition to looking before taking off.

Front....because SilverWing is heavy pig, difficult to get complete rotation of front, put right shoulder under plastic and right hand on bottom of fork leg will lighten front enough to rotate.

This tire thing is serious.....takes one high speed incident to make believer.
I had one, in MN, 85mph middle of nite returning from Sturgis----spike in tire, took 2 lane weave to get bike stopped---real thrill. If I hadn't been going so fast probably not so thrilling.

Also had another in Germany probably 2007--Must have caught some metal on security gate---2 up, Kawasaki Concours 100mph used most of way home----no stops----garage check as I put bike to bed---tire destroyed---but no deflation. At least checking found it. There was no change in feel as tire came apart as air pressure remained.

All of this tire pressure sensing stuff is garbage----my BMW coupe had it, didn't tell which tire, check, air up....had to drive 10 km for system to clear self.

I had rear tire problem with SilverWing.

Tools---I carry socket and breaker bar for rear axle nut, stuff to remove front wheel, tire tools (taken from BMW and MZ tool kits), small hand pump, service manual---enough other tools to get things done. Even though I have other tools, I try to use things from my tool kit as I work on bike to make sure I am carry right stuff----also muffler packing as it takes a beating with muffler removal.

Spare belt should be carried along with tools to remove.

All my stuff rolls up in nice RevPack roll, fits sideways under seat in forward portion of box.

Normally I ride only in warranty----"let them worry about it and come get me". Warranty has run out on my bike recently. Looking to buy new.

Whole thing be prepared------and individual has responsibilty, too. Delay on trip 2,000 miles from home can be expensive.

Were I to take trip to Alaska on SilverWing, I'd probably start in Seattle with fresh tires, carry one 13" tube, can be stretched to work on front, some tire boots, too. For emergency repair to get going. Tubeless with boot and tube will get you going.

John Grinsel

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 am

john grinsel wrote:
Rather than weave-----get down on knees rotate rear tire complete 360 degrees and run hand over in addition to looking before taking off.

Front....because SilverWing is heavy pig, difficult to get complete rotation of front, put right shoulder under plastic and right hand on bottom of fork leg will lighten front enough to rotate.

John Grinsel

Exactly the method I use. Don't try shoving your shoulder under the front plastic if the 'Wing' is on the side stand. You just may injure yourself. The 'Wing' is a heavy beast!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System   Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wireless Motorcycle & Trike Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System
Page 1 of 1