Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fuel Mileage

Go down 
+3
GaryL
DennisB
DaveR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Sad I am disappointed that my 2005 Silverwing has been getting less MPG than when I first purchased it. I purchased it used with 1341 miles on it in July of 2007. I just turned over 16000 miles on my last ride of 240 miles last week. When I first got it I was getting 50 MPG which is what most of you report getting. I did put a 'Givi' wind screen on it and I do weigh 240 lbs. I do not baby it but do not abuse it... I changed the spark plugs and have done all the maintenance according to the book. I do get in the 40 MPG range average now. Does anyone have any suggestions? Yes, I have ran "Seafoam" through it and it does not seem to help. Maybe I need to check the gap on the plugs or something. I runs great starts great etc. and I will be checking the belt as soon as it warms up.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska Smile
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Dave,

There are a bunch of things that cause the MPG to take a nose dive. OK, let's start with cold weather. The Silverwing loves hot weather and gets much better MPG when the weather is warmer. Air filter being clean. Tire pressure. Belt wear. Wear on the driver and driven disc plates. The big spring on the driven drive gets weak over time. And last but not least is the gas stations change over to a different blend of gas in cold weather.

Dave...I hope this helps.

Last edited by DennisB on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:59 pm

There have been a number of posts on this forum about poor fuel mileage just before a belt failure (or some sort of belt problem). If you are at 16000 miles, you are well past the 'expected' service life of the belt. I think you are correct in checking that first. What is your RPM at 65mph indicated? That may also be a clue. As the belt wears, it gets thinner, which causes the RPM to rise, which affects fuel mileage in a negative way. small moped
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Winter gasoline formulation, colder weather, and possibly the belt.
It could be one or all of those factors.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Dave, has the change been sudden or gradual? Did the Givi make an immediate difference? How about you... you go from 120 to 240 overnight? Razz Note items Dennis mentioned above. Weather changed in your area? Fuel mix for winter months etc.

16,000 miles on the belt is the recommended change interval. There is a lot of discussion on that subject. From my reading, sudden change in gas mileage would not be expected at that mileage on the belt. If you are inclined to check that out, open the case and examine for wear. If there is excessive dust or belt does show excessive wear, you may have found the problem. You need to thinking about replacement anyway, whether the belt is the mileage problem or not. There is a great pictorial here in the maintenance section. Do a search to find that great help tool.

For any other users in climates similar to Nebraska now. Have you noticed a loss of mileage? My mileage here in Arkansas riding solo has been in mid 50s. With wife up mid 40s plus a spit is common. Weather is just taking the cooler direction. I will pay attention to that and see if the mileage changes for me. I don't believe our weather here changes enough for the fuel vendors to change to winter mix.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks to all of you....I am thinking along the same lines. I did notice a difference when I put the 'Givi' wind shield on it by a MPG or so. I would suppose my 230 lbs plus gear accessories and etc. enters the picture and of course, the belt at the 16000 mile interval, weather change etc. I know HONDA makes a good product and they don't just set the V Matic light to come on at 16000 for nothing. It is there for a purpose and they knew this so that is why they set the light at the building of the fine steed. I think that is where I will start. As soon as it warms up, I will put a new belt on and check the plates and spring etc. Smile I would not trade this for a m/c as it does a great job with out nickle and dimeing you to death. Progressive maintenance is the key....Old Dave
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Dave,
I am most sure it is because of the gasoline. Since we have mandated 10% ethanol October till sometime in the spring, I have never had better than 43-45 mpg in the fall/winter/spring. Sometimes in the summer I get as much as 47-48 mpg.

The trike, on the other hand, gets in the mid to high 30's, sometimes in the low 40's. Of course, almost all of the trike mileage has been in or near town. I think it is because I have come close to tripling the frontal area and added the rolling resistance of two fat tires. :flower:

Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:57 am

Heavy rider and big sail of windshield take away mileage, but does not explain drop.

I have been getting mid 50's with 2 time high of 61----run hard on freeway, always well over 6,000RPM can drop below 50.

So to see if bike can still do 60mpg as it did new (09) I first looked at Air Cleaner element----ok at 12,000 miles, looks like life of 20,000miles with my type of riding.

So took 300 mile trip---kept speed under at 60 mph or less and no real hard throttl use---in other words ridden as scooter should be, not as real motorcycle substitute and of course this type riding = 60 mpg.

Gas formula change with cold, etc.

John Grinsel

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Mileage
Page 1 of 1