Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

stock windshield or not

Go down 
+29
Dale N.
bicyclenut
westgl
chief253
Dimond
DaveR
DarthJ
JeffR_
CathyN
larryinseattle
goldwinger
tubeck
toolboxjesse
tarmacburner2
IDwingit
Opalsboy
tankyuong
john grinsel
honda_silver
bob wells
Somerled
skiwoods
joncallihan
The Scootist
DickO
scooterbob
JeffR
jdeereanton
cruiser
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

what type of windshield do you curantly have
Stock
stock windshield or not I_vote_lcap35%stock windshield or not I_vote_rcap
 35% [ 52 ]
Givi
stock windshield or not I_vote_lcap47%stock windshield or not I_vote_rcap
 47% [ 71 ]
Clearview, small
stock windshield or not I_vote_lcap0%stock windshield or not I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
med
stock windshield or not I_vote_lcap2%stock windshield or not I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 3 ]
large
stock windshield or not I_vote_lcap3%stock windshield or not I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 4 ]
X large
stock windshield or not I_vote_lcap5%stock windshield or not I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 8 ]
Other
stock windshield or not I_vote_lcap8%stock windshield or not I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 150

AuthorMessage
cruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
cruiser

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-02-09

stock windshield or not Empty
PostSubject: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Curious to know how many peaple have changed there
windshields out with after market.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 7:20 pm

I can only register one vote, but we have two bikes so add one to the stock shields.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 9:10 pm

I switched mine out to a Givi, not sure which size it is since I bought it used from a guy who offered it to me for $30. Sure do like it better than stock.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Cruiser,

I have the Givi now on my bike and like it. Like I have said in other posts, I think I received a Clearview that just flexes too much, but I've only heard of a few of us that have this problem. There is also another windshield I just found out about:

http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.php

I have read Majesty owners having them and they like them.

But I really like my Givi and plan to keep it on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 10:16 pm

I have the Clearview medium on mine for a few years now and love it.
I like the way it has the two extra mounting screws and the wind deflectors
for the hands.
Paul
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Paul,

I really liked my Clearview too until I started to go over 70 or so... due to the flexing. I may contact Clearview about the flexing and see if they will replace it. But I'm in no hurry at the moment. I think the Clearview does a better job giving wind protection to your hands too.
Back to top Go down
scooterbob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scooterbob

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 11:07 pm

I have a stock screen on my 08 as I had on my 03. On either scoot I had no major problems, except it was to hard to use my communication radio at high speeds due to wind noise. I was thinking about getting a different screen this spring and heard about this company.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/silverwingws.html

I like that I can pick hight and width options. As well as tint if I wanted it. I'm still trying to get more feedback from people who use this screen before I make a decision. All I ever hear about is "Givi" or "Clearview". I know they are both fine screens and cost a little less. But I'm a curious person who likes to compare.

Have a great day
bob
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi All,

I just changed over to a new Givi about a week ago but have only had it out on a couple short jaunts. Still, was pleased by not having that damnnable wind beating on my helmet (I do look thru the shield rather than over it and think I prefer it that way). The first time out was just fine with no idiosyncracies noted. However, on the second outing I did notice the small bit of pressure on the back of the helmet that some folks have mentioned before. There again, no big deal; it's just there.

Ride Safe Friends,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 6:48 am

I'm so short and with the dealer having lowered my seat twice they think I will have no problems with the windshild. It should blow over the top of my head with ease :lol!:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:04 am

I have the stock windshield, but added a Laminar Lip. What a difference! I can still see over, rather than through the windshield but the Lip diverts the airflow so that noise and turbulence are a fraction of what they were before I added this little addition. I highly recommend it and at $80 it is only a fraction of the cost of getting a new windshield.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 am

I bought my Swing last July and the stock wind screen put a concentrated blast of air directly in my eyes and ears. (keep in mind I am tall - 6'5") Within a month after I got my bike I put the Givi wind shield on and I love it. What a difference! The Givi doesn't flex noticeably (at least up to 110 mph indicated) and all of the air flows over my head so that I am riding in a bubble of quiet air. It is easy to carry on a conversation with a passenger. The Givi is 4 inches taller than the stock wind screen and it has little extensions that provide coverage in front of your hands, which is nice - especially this time of year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 11:09 am

JeffR wrote:
Paul,

I really liked my Clearview too until I started to go over 70 or so... due to the flexing. I may contact Clearview about the flexing and see if they will replace it. But I'm in no hurry at the moment. I think the Clearview does a better job giving wind protection to your hands too.

Jeff,
I read a few post about people saying the clearview flexing at high speed.
I personally don't see or have any flexing problems. The clearview is a little thicker then the stock one and has two extra mounting screews.
Have you checked all the mounting screws to see if their tight?
Paul
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 11:48 am

I'm part of the Givi crowd.
My only complaint with the Givi is that it is about 1 1/2 or so inches too tall.
I'm afraid that if I ever have to ride in the rain, I'll not be able to since I cannot comfortably look over it.
It is dramatically better than the stock screen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 pm

Paul,

Yes, I checked everything but it would start to flex around the point where the vent is. I have only heard of a couple of us where it flex's this bad. When I was doing 90 or more it was almost touching my chin. So I think it is a flaw from the factory not something inherent with all of them. I wished it didn't flex at all because they are nice screens.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Jon:
Fortunately here in Colorado it doesn't rain very often (hardly ever lately?). But I have heard of several people who actually trimmed their windshields a bit. You may be able to trim yours if it is a problem.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Givi. When I bought mine it already had the Givi on it so I have no comparison. I like it because it allows me to wear a baseball cap when I ride. Mostly I wear a helmet, but on occasion I will wear just a ball cap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 7:49 pm

I was looking for a thread to comment on this subject and although it's been awhile since anyone's posted in this one it seems the best place for discussion.

Like many already commented I too quickly found that the stock windshield just wasn't doing it for me - not the least of which because it was heavily sun damaged.

Originally, I bought the GIVI 214DT because this was most like what I was already familiar with from other bikes. However, after many rides between El Paso, TX and Tempe, AZ I came to realize that it was not the windshield for such conditions. Sudden high velocity wind gusts and sustained high winds eventually convinced me I needed something else. I looked at the GIVI airflow but having read the comments about problems with them including the top part coming off and becoming a danger, I decided instead on the Clearview windshield with vent. I talked on the phone with Mark from Clearview and found him not only very helpful but a real nice guy who was actively interested in how I rode. Together we decided that the light grey medium Clearview was best for me. Not only would the vent help and the size be appropriate but the light grey would also help with the constant glare you get down here. I have yet to make my ride to Tempe since installation but I will be sure to let you know what I find.

So to sum it up, I came to realize that the only right answer is that you just need to be cognizant of how and where you ride to pick a windshield. A big windshield was best for me in New England where I wanted as much protection from cold air as possible so I could extend my riding season. The wind could get going there but nothing like it does down here for so long and on such sweeping open places. A change in tactics was called for and I believe I've found what's best for me now.
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 7:57 pm

I bought the Givi 214 from a fellow forum member. So far I love it! It lowers wind noise, has more hand proiection and is good quality. The height is a benefit and a bad thing as I prefer to look over the windshield. I have not ridden in the rain so, so so far I enjoy the no buffetting ride.
I rarely ride over 65 to 70 so that is my circumstance.
Yes it is a personal choice.

Thanks
bob
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 1:03 am

Somerled wrote:
Tlight grey medium Clearview was best for me. Not only would the vent help and the size be appropriate but the light grey would also help with the constant glare you get down here.

I have the same exact windshield except I have an Clearview XL tinted with vent.

Somerled wrote:
I have yet to make my ride to Tempe since installation but I will be sure to let you know what I find.

When do the rides to Tempe stop Smile
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 1:20 am

honda_silver wrote:
When do the rides to Tempe stop Smile

After they finally release me from the Warrior Transition Unit. Months yet ahead as a medical retirement is not a quick thing. I have plenty of years for a standard retirement but they need to calculate what my disability pension will be based on what my wounds are. When that day finally comes you may hear the yell there in Georgetown as I ride my way into the sunset and the arms of the woman I love.
stock windshield or not 144
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 7:04 am

My take----first on windshield performance, you need a base line for comparison for good air management. Mine is the wonderful air management of a BMW equipped with Heinrich Handlebar Fairing and Leg Shields-----GREAT=all day comfort with open face helmet and looking over. I rode behind them for near 20 years.

Stock SilverWing is horrible! I had Clearview with GoldWing Vent, somewhat ok but I had to cut down to look over. No flexing. Better/Best GIVI adjustable. As your seated height varies from day to day. No fly off problems, but watched the 2 adjustment clamps.

Real problem basic design of scooter-----your nose is too far from tip of windshield.

My windshield experience covers over 1.5 million miles. All kinds of weather/conditions. Many bikes/scooters.

Buffeting can drive you crazy---looking thru can kill you.

Note: I have new Honda NT700V---old design, successful in Europe, sales flop in US.It has great air management, probably the best turnkey operation on market. Nose is much closer than on SilverWing. Tried National Cycle new design shield, after 3,000 miles sent it back as it was cracking around mounting points--probably too much wind area for mounts, causing the strain. The shield worked ok, flapped around---stock better.

Bottom Line: GIVI adjustable works best on SilverWing. Hign Side Winds, it can be lowered to get away from the sail effect.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:06 am

stock windshield finally gave me mpg's in the 50's and buffeting in the front vs wind pushing the back of my helmet forward with the Givi.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 12:31 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Stock SilverWing is horrible! I had Clearview with GoldWing Vent, somewhat ok but I had to cut down to look over. No flexing. Better/Best GIVI adjustable. As your seated height varies from day to day. No fly off problems, but watched the 2 adjustment clamps.

Buffeting can drive you crazy---looking thru can kill you.

Bottom Line: GIVI adjustable works best on SilverWing. Hign Side Winds, it can be lowered to get away from the sail effect.

These are exactly the reasons I went with the light grey medium sized Clearview. I can look over just fine and the light grey optics really help with glare. I spent some time on the phone with Mark from Clearview and told him how tall I am, what I'm riding, where and how. He's quite knowledgable and I'm very happy with my choice. As I said earlier, the real bottomline is what works best for you where and how you ride. I don't like the GIVI airflow. I don't want the hassle of dealing with adjusting it and I also don't need the thought in the back of my mind that it may come off when I'm flying on I-10 to Tempe at speeds in excess of 90 mph. It doesn't work best for me. I'm glad, however, that it works best for you, John. BTW, I've been riding a BMW a long time too. Wink
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 1:20 pm

For comment on BMW's-----Unless your were riding Heinrich Equipped, you have no baseline to compare-----myRT80 had bad wind management, among others, R75 with Wixon fairing very bad until lower spoilers were sourced.

GIVI adjustable won't come off if set up right, clamps understood. Of course any adjustments should be made standing still. Up down adjustment very handy.

To come to my conclusion on the GIVI I have tried various windshields and Laminar Lip on Yamaha TMAX, Burgman 400, Reflex, SilverWing and only aftermarket windshield on Helix.

Laminar Lip did not do trick for me----and they are better bolted on---Lost one on big bump in rush hour that was stuck on with their sticky things.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 1:47 pm

john grinsel wrote:
For comment on BMW's-----Unless your were riding Heinrich Equipped, you have no baseline to compare-----myRT80 had bad wind management, among others, R75 with Wixon fairing very bad until lower spoilers were sourced.

I have a Hannigan faring and Hannigan windshield on mine. You can see it pictured on this forum here:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t3254p15-howdy-from-texas#33322

Not pictured is the piece that attaches to the windshield that forces the air up. As it is removable, and I'm on an Army post where youngsters can run wild sometimes on weekends, I remove it when parked. It attaches with super velcro that can hold 35 tons (or so they say) so I have little fear it will come off at high speed - that and it's light plastic rather than a heavy piece that could take my head off. Not to mention I use the BMW to haul my German Shepherd around in and although the speedometer goes up to 140 mph we don't go that fast anyway. You'd be crazy to with a sidecar of course. The Silverwing is my speed demon.

http://www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com/main.html
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Hannagan copy of Glaeser. Glaeser set up allows windshield to move up and down plus the spoiler. Not sure about Hannagan
So assume you get some still air
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Tom,

You need to understand something, no matter what your experience, John knows what is better. And most certainly what is best for you.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 9:35 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Tom,

You need to understand something, no matter what your experience, John knows what is better. And most certainly what is best for you.

Yes, I seem to have had that point well illustrated for me. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Tom Said:
Yes, I seem to have had that point well illustrated for me.

Oh, it will be even more illustrated before you hear the end of this.

BTW.. glad to see you posting again. I missed you. Love that avitar.

Glad to meet your companion Baldur.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks, Gary. Smile

I haven't been riding of late. Doc wanted me to leave off the vibration while the nerve damage in my hand and arm were re-evaluated. I decided it was the perfect time to get my Swing painted. Standby soon for pics.

Oh, and Baldur says "Hi!".
Back to top Go down
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 am

If a person had been riding behind a windshield every day of the year for 50 years straight, he/she would have to travel 82.19178 miles EVERYDAY in order to cover 1,500,000 miles.

Miss a day and you would need to do more than 164 miles to keep up the average.

Just an observation.

Your mileage may vary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:58 am

Stock
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 am

Givi Airflow - very pleased with it.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 9:21 am

I'm 5'10". The stock windshield hit me in the exact wrong place and the wind-stream pushed my head back at highway speed. I use a tall Givi one-piece in the winter but I feel very insulated with it in warmer weather (no air-flow). I just started using a shorty windshield (11" tall) in the warmer weather for better air flow. If the new Givi airfow is as good as they say I might buy one before next winter.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 am

My Berman S has a sport windshield - too low. My Swing has a tall Givi with wings to protect hands also. I look through it. I don't even wear my hat tight. ( I know I should wear a helmet) it stays on with no problem. Rain X like on your car windshield works great. If its raining too hard to see through the shield , its time to stop
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 am

tubeck wrote:
Rain X like on your car windshield works great.

I have been told by numerous sources that regular rain-x will eat away lexan and cause it to become foggy- irreversible damage. Just FYI.
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:46 am

toolboxjesse wrote:
tubeck wrote:

I have been told by numerous sources that regular rain-x will eat away lexan and cause it to become foggy- irreversible damage. Just FYI.

I have heard this, also. Now, I am curious to know if true or not.

Bob
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 am

I have heard that too. A soft cloth instead of a paper towel too. I have used rain x for about a year on one. So far OK. I think the benifits of it on the windshield are big even if having to buy a new one every now and then is nessesary.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:46 am

I went from givi tall to back to stock due to 2 cracked givi and 50+ mpg
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:13 am

toolboxjesse wrote:
tubeck wrote:

That would be a concern if the wind screens available for the Silverwing were made of Lexan - they are not.
Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:42 am

Went from a stock Honda to a Givi Tall to a Givi Airflow. No contest, the Airflow adjustable is the best screen of any bike I've owned. Fully "up" it throws all the air and rain over my head, no back pressure. Fully "Down" I get a good blast of air in my chest and face, but no buffeting and not too much water if it's raining. About half way, some air to my face and very little rain. Even my hands stay pretty dry and out of the airstream at any setting, due to the small "wings" at the bottom of the screen.
Ian
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 am

Givi, give goldwinger a job selling windshields
Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Well, I wouldn't mind selling Airflows for Swings, easy money!!!!

Anyone want to buy a Stock or Givi Tall?

Ian
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:40 am

I love my Givi Air Flow adjustable. I put a regular Givi on my last Silverwing and I like the adjustable so much better. I think of it as the best modification I have done yet to it.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 am

IDwingit wrote:
If a person had been riding behind a windshield every day of the year for 50 years straight, he/she would have to travel 82.19178 miles EVERYDAY in order to cover 1,500,000 miles.

Miss a day and you would need to do more than 164 miles to keep up the average.

Just an observation.

Your mileage may vary.

That is putting the pencil to the paper and coming up with good numbers right there. It tells ya something.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:53 pm

I don't know what it tells you-----ride everyday, use bike for everything, get paid to ride, do not have car and don't be married and you would be surprised how the miles can pile up...... and there is 56 year history, soon to be 57 years-----by the way 27,000 miles a year will get you there. 27,000 miles a year isn't that much----there are plenty of people out there riding more than that each year------just doing it year in and year out puts the totals up. Sounds to me like somebody who is being critical just doesn't or has not ridden a lot?....and maybe likes car tires. I am not defending anything just having a little fun....and riding everyday.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I don't know what it tells you-----ride everyday, use bike for everything, get paid to ride, do not have car and don't be married and you would be surprised how the miles can pile up...... and there is 56 year history, soon to be 57 years-----by the way 27,000 miles a year will get you there. 27,000 miles a year isn't that much----there are plenty of people out there riding more than that each year------just doing it year in and year out puts the totals up. Sounds to me like somebody who is being critical just doesn't or has not ridden a lot?....and maybe likes car tires. I am not defending anything just having a little fun....and riding everyday.

You don't miss a post!!

I wish we lived closer, I would enjoy having a cup of coffee with you. I do enjoy people who have an opinion.... at least they still have a pulse.

"First lair wouldn't have a chance!"
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:47 pm

I had a Givi 214 on my scooter when I bought it from a private owner.
I liked it. It was great in cooler weather. Kept the wind noise down. I did not notice any buffetting.

I had a problem seeing over the top of it, which I prefer during rain. It also kept the wind from reaching me during hot days.

When I dropped the bike in a parking lot last summer, I cracked the left section where the shield protects your hand from the wind. I was toying with getting the Givi AF214 adjustable windshield. I decided to get it and I couldn't be happier. I can lower in the heat and rain. Raise it in the colder weather. I don't seem to have any buffetting problems.

I think it was money well spent. Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Cathy,

I think the airflow is the best screen I have had, and I have had 4 of them. You will really like it in the summer when the heat & humidity starts in Chicago. I ride with it all the way up in colder weather or on long interstate rides but when it is hot or I'm just riding slow roads I keep it about 1/2 way down and in hot weather all the way down. I find that even all the way down, you will get the breeze but not the buffeting. It is strange that way this screen works but it works very good.

I think this gives the best ride of all the screens I have had. Tell us more as you get more miles on it.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Jeff,

I had it the weekend of The Falling Leaf Rally Oct. 7-9th in Potosi, MO. That was my first long trip with it. We rode 1000 miles over the 3 days.
The temperature got up to the mid 90's during the day then down to 50, 60 at night. I was grateful for the airflow. Didn't have rain. I had enough of that at the STO Rally. The day we started home that is. I wish I had the new screen then.

I got to see Gary's "Opalsboy" when I was down there. Then the rain on the way home convinced me to order one up.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stock windshield or not   stock windshield or not I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stock windshield or not
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next