Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland

Go down 
+3
thomphoto
DennisB
redeye
7 posters
AuthorMessage
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland Empty
PostSubject: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Good evening! After a bit more than two years riding a 250cc Yamaha Morphous, I recently purchased a gently used (6,650 miles) 2002 Honda Silver Wing. Looking for a second scooter to support extended highway riding, overnight and/or weekend trips, plus plenty of storage room for two (large Givi top box was included), I decided the Silver Wing would be an excellent choice. Reading over the site a few times in the last couple of weeks, I have found many familiar names from other sites. But I am also looking forward to new acquaintances as well.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi redeye,

Welcome aboard. Happy you decided to join in. Enjoy that new Silverwing. It will take you anywhere you want to go. sunny

Good thing to do is, run the VIN number buy your local Honda shop and check to see if all your scooters updates and re-calls have been done.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:34 pm

DennisB wrote:
Good thing to do is, run the VIN number buy your local Honda shop and check to see if all your scooters updates and re-calls have been done.
Shall do. I am planning a trip to a local Honda dealer regarding additional keys on Saturday morning as I received only one from the sale. I'll inquire about updates and recalls on the same visit. Thanks very much!
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 7:35 am

You don't need to go to a Honda dealer for a spare key. Most any locksmith will duplicate the key for $2 or $3.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 7:52 am

thomphoto wrote:
You don't need to go to a Honda dealer for a spare key. Most any locksmith will duplicate the key for $2 or $3.
Great idea -- thanks! There is a locksmith a few blocks from my office at work. I'm also looking for one or two spare keys for the Givi top box; the Honda shop might not have those, anyway.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 8:01 am

Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.

RE: Keys

You have options - Get your local honda dealer to cut a Honda key and pay handsomely.

OR
You can order a blank from Service Honda (www.servicehonda.com) if you must have a "Honda" key. Will be about $8 - $10 for the blank plus what you have to pay a locksmith to grind it.
Owner Key 35121-MAS-G01 $7.82
Valet Key 35125-MAS-G01 $9.85
http://www.servicehonda.com/look-up-parts/03
OR
Or do as Wendell (thomphoto) suggested and save some money.

I usually do option 2.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 8:38 am

When I needed a spare key made for the silverwing , I went to ACE Hardware and had them make it. It only cost $3.00 a key and it was fast service.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:57 am

jdeereanton wrote:
Get your local honda dealer to cut a Honda key and pay handsomely.
One 'Honda' key is fine with me. Usually, I want flat keys (metal only - no plastic) to carry in my wallet where minimum thickness is preferable. Although in these cases thickness isn't really an issue, I'll probably put one on the key rack at home and another in my office at work, just in case I accidentally lock the primary key under the SWing's seat.

DennisB wrote:
I went to ACE Hardware
Having moved to Maryland recently, I found an ACE Hardware store in a neighboring town just last weekend. Now I have a couple of options besides a Honda dealer. This is great.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 3:10 pm

redeye,

WELCOME to the wing world…….

Here’s a link to a convenient gadget I made a few years back to use on another motorcycle and found it works well with the Silverwing.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/key-knob-t1656.htm
Back to top Go down
Dale
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Welcome to the Swingworld. I'd never heard the Silverwing reffered to as the Swing 'til I got on this site, now I probably overuse the abreviation.
My wing came with only the small head flat key which I now carry on my house key ring. I ordered the plastic head key from the dealer and took it to a nearby locksmith shop, who cut the key from my flat one and then refused to charge me because I had provided the blank. I forced them at gunpoint to take two dollars for their "coffee fund".
Back to top Go down
RIDER
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 am

Redeye,

What part of Maryland do you live in? I'm here in Waldorf, Md.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks to all for the welcome, ideas and information!

RIDER wrote:
Redeye,

What part of Maryland do you live in? I'm here in Waldorf, Md.
Rider, I'm in Emmitsburg, just across the state line south of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks again to all who have offered help and advice. The recall work is complete. And, I now have additional keys, quite inexpensively done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland   Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enjoying my "new" Silver Wing in Maryland
Page 1 of 1