Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Service NOW or in the SPRING?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodindbq
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-06-18

Service NOW or in the SPRING? Empty
PostSubject: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 pm

My beautiful new Swing is almost ready for its first oil change/service (the 700 mile). The mid-west is almost ready to be a bad place to ride for a few months. Today is fantastic (75 degrees and no clouds), but I know what is coming.

I'm almost ready to put the cover on the bike in the garage and attach the battery tender, but I'd like to know if it makes a difference if I have the service done now (before I put it to bed) and let it sit for the winter or should I wait for spring and do the service then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Do it after you have your last ride for the season .Oil builds up nasty things that are bad for bearings to be left sitting in . Don't wait for spring .
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: ethanol, it all depends on what state and even what gas station you're at. Where I'm at in Philly, ALL gas, no matter what grade it is, has ethanol. I'd definitely put some fuel stabilizer, make sure you put the trickle charger on, and run the engine every now and then so you don't gum anything up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:48 pm

There was one state I was in, Iowa methinks, where the regular was more expensive than premium because the premium had ethanol whereas the regular didn't. REALLY boggles the braincase.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:46 am

Guys,
I haven't considered this problem. I'm in FL, so its a moot point, but as I read through the posts, it got me to thinking about my boats up north. We went through a winterizing process; changing oil, putting in antifreeze etc. The last thing we did with the motors, inboard and outboard was what they called fogging. A light oil, I forget exactly what it was but it was along the lines of liquid wrench, was sprayed into the air intake until the motor stalled. This would coat the inards of the engine for the winter. Is something like this ever done on motorcycles?

Bill
Back to top Go down
Woodindbq
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-06-18

PostSubject: I live in Iowa. It's actually a tax issue (remember the crop the corn comes from, and what grows EVERYWHERE in Iowa).   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 6:36 pm

bigbird wrote:
Hammy wrote:
There was one state I was in, Iowa methinks, where the regular was more expensive than premium because the premium had ethanol whereas the regular didn't. REALLY boggles the braincase.

Shades of Deliverance?
I thought the only inbreeding was in the deep south. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi ya Woody! I say.......service now......and then service in the spring! Cause......with the excellent wind and weather protection offered by your Silverwing, and the spot on fuel injection, other than snow or ice or 25 degrees or lower..........I say Ride That Rascal! [That was not an endorsement for a power chair from the Scooter store], altho I'm gonna get one when the time comes, and look out!!
C'mon Woody........there's gonna be lot of good weather, especially if you hibernate your new SW.......its Karma. Tarp and tender.......and it will be 50 every other day from Dec thru Feb. And why the garage? If you have a 32in exterior door, a left right twist and your pride and joy shares the laundry room with you and the Mrs. If you have a cat, she'll keep the seat warm till you're ready to brave the Iowa winter. I'm from Quincy Ill, so I'm kind of in the same geographic challenge as you.
So..........get er serviced.........take the wifey poo out once a week to balance out the puddles in the laundry room........flip old man winter the bird........and enjoy those frosty cheeks..........and then get 'er serviced in the spring. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:23 pm

WINTERIZE??!!?? Razz

Down here we only consider winter service because the shops don't have anything better to do!! Surprised

Change the oil, drop a couple teaspoons of Stabil in the tank, hit the tupperware with some Bike Spirits & wait out the storm!! SNOW???? PUHLEEZ -- took MSF ERC in a snow storm!! cheers

Don't know about the laundry room or you may be sharing a bed with the cat!! Just go to the big box store & get a 8x15 piece of carpet, electric space heater & your ready to work on your baby in any weather!!

Be careful about talking to her while you rub her down, the wife's get jealous!! rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwrra.org
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 pm

8 by 15 carpet??........now your talking! But....... Take the pickup and the Mastercard, because a recliner with heat and massage is in order. Thats a lot of carpet! I would personally use the box that the recliner came in to make a club house.....or maybe cut out the upper front for a window, and a side door and pretend I was a truck driver. " Yes Honey, I'm making this for the grandkids"........The what????.....oh yes, I'll bring the Silverwing in...uh.....later." "Yes, I see it's snowing." santa Hmmmm....What could I use for a stick shift?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 8:32 am

i just gotmy scotter in the spring and was wondering what i should do when i put her away. i live up north so alot of snow,lol do i take battery out or put on a tricle charger what about gas and oil
ty in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service NOW or in the SPRING?   Service NOW or in the SPRING? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Service NOW or in the SPRING?
Page 1 of 1