Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?

Go down 
+6
edbancro
Waspie
jdeereanton
john grinsel
honda_silver
bigbird
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? Empty
PostSubject: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 11:30 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 am

bigbird wrote:
I will probably buy tires from an online US retailer.
Recommendations, considering a combination of price/reputation/stock/good shipping, with the emphasis on price?

Checkout www.motorcycle-superstore.com
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 5:50 am

Dennis Kirk. They will mail and you can avoid the UPS cost and hassle.

I used them for years when I lived in Germany/Japan/Korea/

John Grinsel I replaced OEM Bridgestone on my Reflex with Pirelli made in Brazil and they performed well. Another is IRC which I have have rear of Silverwing and front waiting to go on. All seem to be priced near the same. Honda approved are only IRC and Bridgestone.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 am

john grinsel wrote:
Dennis Kirk. They will mail and you can avoid the UPS cost and hassle.

I used them for years when I lived in Germany/Japan/Korea/.
You will most likely still have to pay all of the government imposed price increases even if these items come through the post.

john grinsel wrote:
... Honda approved are only IRC and Bridgestone.
Not necessarily so, Honda doesn't have an official approved tire list - these are the OEM suppliers Honda uses and the bike is most likely engineered with these tires in mind, but that does not limit any one to these tires only.

John, if that were the case your cheap Wal*Mart oil is not Honda approved - I'm just saying.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:48 am

To moderator------if you rode more you might know more. Look in service manual and sticker= IRC amd Bridegestone reommended. Look on Metzeler.de----not approved tire set of their brand for SilverWing for example. I would think Honda did a lot of testing.

Sometime getting into tires/combo that are not approved/tested can be hairy.
I have replaced 250-400 bike tires in the past 55 years. How many have you? Even had a high speed rear wheel slide in corner---I replaced Continental on rear of my BMW R60/6 with Dunlop, same size----maybe compound different----80 mph slide under power real thrill. Did not fall, but needed lots of recovery room. Thrill I do not want to repeat, even though over 30 years ago. 13" tire on rear of scooter working pretty hard at 80mph. Something to think about.

Yes one can get away with tackle box mech stuff, but better to stick with what has been tested.

Even the approved and tested stuff can be dangerous/bad. I had 3 Bridestones come apart on Reflex, one on Helix-----took Bridgestone off Silverwing at 6,000 at it, too appeared to be coming apart, replaced with IRC.
\
WalMart Oil is 10-40W, Non-energy conserving. !0-40 is within the recommended range and type. Well over 200,000 scooter miles on the stuff and no blowups.

Last Pirelli owns Metzeler---wonder if the Pirelli is approved for SilverWing? I put them on Reflex with no troubles.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 10:00 am

My handbook, (UK), and US sourced Service Manual states that Honda reccommend either IRC or Bridgestone Hoops 01/02 dependeing on front or rear.

I checked yesterday when ordering a new rear for my deflated tyre.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm

john grinsel wrote:
To moderator------if you rode more you might know more. Look in service manual and sticker= IRC amd Bridegestone reommended. Look on Metzeler.de----not approved tire set of their brand for SilverWing for example. I would think Honda did a lot of testing.

To cranky old man who has more experience than methuselah-------- Big diference between recommended and approved. Which is it approved or recommended?

And by the way, John, if you are refrerring to one of my posts it's okay to refer to me by name.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Two answers----Bigbird you should be able to find total cost same price for Pirelli some where in Canada at near end cost....assuming you would have to pay customs from US.

Dale: My favorite oil from WalMart does not have MA rating and I think there is also an MB out there someplace, too. Honda sets up oil requirements of 10-30 MA non energy conserving....so you are stuck with their over priced house brand-----same on my Honda CRV 0-20 mineral....only can get it from them. Dealer jacks up the price by the can over the counter price. I am pretty sure most Honda oil on US market is low bid deal from oil wholesalers.....and then there is the stuff they get out of their barrel if you let them do the work.....could be cheaper yet (for them)

Again this tire stuff is pretty serious....especially on high speed scooter. I have had enough high speed thrills for now.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 4:46 pm

x

Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 5:31 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Sometime getting into tires/combo that are not approved/tested can be hairy.
Even the approved and tested stuff can be dangerous/bad. I had 3 Bridestones come apart on Reflex, one on Helix-----took Bridgestone off Silverwing at 6,000 at it, too appeared to be coming apart, replaced with IRC.
Last Pirelli owns Metzeler---wonder if the Pirelli is approved for SilverWing? I put them on Reflex with no troubles.

I'm somewhat confused as to what your point is here, John. If the tire is the correct size and has a speed rating >= whatever Honda recommends, then what other sort of testing would you want to see done? Also, any manufacturer makes a judgment call about how much they want to spend on tires - and they often don't put the absolute 'best' tires on from the factory, and the ones they choose have to satisfy an average rider's needs, but how many of us are exactly "average"?

And if we can agree that even the OEMs can have issues, then why shouldn't one explore other options?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:18 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Dale: My favorite oil from WalMart does not have MA rating and I think there is also an MB out there someplace, too. Honda sets up oil requirements of 10-30 MA non energy conserving....so you are stuck with their over priced house brand-----same on my Honda CRV 0-20 mineral....only can get it from them. Dealer jacks up the price by the can over the counter price. I am pretty sure most Honda oil on US market is low bid deal from oil wholesalers.....and then there is the stuff they get out of their barrel if you let them do the work.....could be cheaper yet (for them)

Again this tire stuff is pretty serious....especially on high speed scooter. I have had enough high speed thrills for now.

John Grinsel
So what I am left to understand from this is - There are some things, those which you approve of, that we can deviate from what Honda says or recommends? But if you disapprove of the choice, you will say, that what we are doing is a severe safety violation and we are going against the "Honda approved" part. And you will offer up your vast experience as proof that you are indeed correct and we are merely death inviting simpletons with no skill and probably don't even ride. Am I getting the gist of this so far?

You wrote that two brands of tires are Honda "approved". I agree that they are OEM and thus by inference recommended, but I take umbrage at the term "approved".

I have no doubt that you have a life of experience, but the manner in which you choose to share that experience is flawed. Seriously flawed.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:21 pm

jdeereanton wrote:

So what I am left to understand from this is - There are some things, those which you approve of, that we can deviate from what Honda says or recommends? But if you disapprove of the choice, you will say, that what we are doing is a severe safety violation and we are going against the "Honda approved" part. And you will offer up your vast experience as proof that you are indeed correct and we are merely death inviting simpletons with no skill and probably don't even ride. Am I getting the gist of this so far?

You wrote that two brands of tires are Honda "approved". I agree that they are OEM and thus by inference recommended, but I take umbrage at the term "approved".

I have no doubt that you have a life of experience, but the manner in which you choose to share that experience is flawed. Seriously flawed.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:32 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:34 pm

I ride pretty hard and in pretty varied terrain. Am going to a darkside tire once I actually get off my recliner and put it on, but I've been riding on Pirelli Diablos for the past 8k miles and love them. This includes a couple jaunts up Tail of the Dragon, a few unexpected gravel and chip roads, and about 6k of 75-80mph running. Still going strong but will be changing soon as mentioned before cos I go thru tires pretty quickly.

Summary: I love my Pirellis. They are fairly cheap on motorcycle-superstore.com and have been great on hairpins and on slabs. If you live close enough to the border, Bigbird, can you have motorcycle-superstore ship to a bike shop near there for you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:36 pm

What about just making it a scooter trip not just for the tires but also just to take in some sights? I'm sure there's ways to work in a little flowersniffing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:06 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Um... maybe travel a little further south to SD and see Rushmore? Would it be easier for someone in the US to pick up your tires and ship them to you?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:12 pm

x

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 8:24 pm

I thought Dennis Kirk had free tire installation. I called to verify, they only mount tires if you buy both wheels and tires from Dennis Kirik ... otherwise they do not mount tires.
Back to top Go down
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 7:29 am

Well Dang Dale, you've turned out to be a verbose character haven't ya!! Razz

I do agree indeed. If we all followed the "approved" action from HMS then this board would be absolutely pointless. Case in point is the mods sections.
If Honda wanted us to have cupholders, by God they'd have designed it!! I personally don't care what one's choices are, they have that right as long as they are willing to accept the outcome. I do however think that every aftermarket supplier is ready to leave a paper bag on his stoop!! :lol!:

Did someone dare to mention the "which oil is best" feaupax?? OMG, we could fill another whole chat board with THAT discussion!! affraid

Back to top Go down
http://www.gwrra.org
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 7:50 am

Oh yeah, "Mr. Moderator" Razz

< ---------- Whats with that lamo title above my head over there ??

"Scooter Rider" Oh Contrare!!! (sorry Bigbird, my French sux) I'll have you know I not only own a 'maxi-scooter' I'm a member too!! Smile I do like all the stars though, I OUTRANK EISENHOWER!!!!!

Hey Bigbird, whats with the tire need anyhow? Isn't October in Canada the time to mount the ski on the front??!! tongue

Now Dale, clean up that coffee you just spit all over the monitor & GET BACK TO WORK!!!!! small moped
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwrra.org
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 9:15 am

Jim Cater wrote:

Hey Bigbird, whats with the tire need anyhow? Isn't October in Canada the time to mount the ski on the front??!! tongue

I may have another 2 months riding yet, depending on the onset of permanent winter snow. We've had snow that stays for the winter as early as Halloween and as late as Christmas. Normally it's somewhere around mid November.

BTW, you're a cheeky one, aren't you. Doesn't bother me, but it may bother some others on here.
Later, Cater chickendance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Try bike bandit.com . You will have to ship to Pembina ND . They won't ship tires to Canada.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:57 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 pm

bigbird wrote:
I'm in Canada and Pirelli Diablo's are not cheap. I will need new tires later next riding season. With the combined weight of me and my wife I'm sure the rear tire will wear quickly.
I will probably buy tires from an online US retailer.
Recommendations, considering a combination of price/reputation/stock/good shipping, with the emphasis on price?
Thanks.
BIKEBANDIT.COM. Will price-match any competitor, has the cheapest shipping charges and you accumulate "bandit bucks" to be used on future purchases. They also have live chat online if you need it (like for questions). Of course, they sell pretty much EVERYTHING, not just tires. Try them. You'll never use anyone else.
Back to top Go down
grizzly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
grizzly

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:09 am

Hi! That's what I did. I order mine from BIKEBANDIT.COM Because Motorcycle-Superstore did not want to send it to me because I was from canada and the regulation of the materials EI: chimecal reason and so on. And they were almost the same price!

Thank's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?   Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best online retailer to buy Pirelli Diablo tires from?
Page 1 of 1