Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Socket sizes needed for Maintenance

Go down 
+2
DennisB
GaryL
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Still being relatively new to the SWing, I have not had to perform any major maintenance yet... Just an oil change. However, I have read with interest the posts on belt changes, tire changes, etc. and it seems relatively easy to do most of these things (I have moderate mechanical skills).

What I am looking for are the sizes of the metric sockets that are needed for some of the bigger bolts and nuts associated with these repairs. I have some metric tools, but mostly in the smaller sizes. I have gone through the shop manual, and have not found anything stated about the sizes... only the torque values. I'm sure that they assume that one has a full set of tools available. I do have torque wrenches.

In reading the posts, It appears that:
Front axle nut: 22mm
Variator bolt: 17mm
I have not found a size stated fot the rear axle nut.
What about the Torx bolt size for removing the rear swing arm?

Are there any other large fasteners or bolts that I need to be aware of? I want to aquire these tools as opportunity presents so that I will be ready when the time comes to tackle some of these jobs.

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi GaryL,

The large nut on the rear axle is 27mm.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:51 pm

24mm for oil drain bolt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 12:06 am

Could someone tell me what size the clutch nut is?

Also, has anyone found a good way to pull the clutch bell without a special Honda tool?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 7:52 am

The clutch nut is 22 mm and torqued to ~40 ft lbs. it's easy enough to remove by locking up the rear brake --so no need to use a special tool to hold the clutch bell.

Several members have used a long 4-arm puller (Harbor Freight) to remove the clutch bell. Dont forget to remove the "C" ring on the shaft.

Reinstalling the clutch bell is a bit less tedious. A 1 1/2" piece of PVC cut to the appropriate length along with a stack of large washer and the original clutch nut are used to press the clutch back in place. Slip on the PVC, add a few washers, tighten the nut, remove the nut , add more washers...
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks, I was thinking of the puller put was unsure of any issues using one.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Harbor freight is your friend!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socket sizes needed for Maintenance   12 volt socket - Socket sizes needed for Maintenance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Socket sizes needed for Maintenance
Page 1 of 1