Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 11:05 am

» What were they thinking?
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 10:49 am

» Earth cable stress
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 10:29 am

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 8:11 am

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 10:05 am

» LED Headlights
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 pm

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:18 am

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:38 am

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:31 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Modding the Givi shield?

Go down 
+4
ce
edbancro
honda_silver
wingnprayer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Modding the Givi shield? Empty
PostSubject: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:37 am

Most of us with the Givi windshield know about the back pressure problem when you reach speeds of 50mph+

I was wondering whether anyone has experimented with modding the screen in various ways to see if this effect can be removed/reduced?

I know some people have cut the top off, but that sounds like hard work and I suspect it will never look as good around the new edge.

I was thinking more along the lines of attaching something to the screen to disrupt/divert the flow, e.g. a inverted triangle shape (perhaps made of clear perspex) lower down the screen could force the air to flow more to the sides and feasibly by the time it reaches the top the pressure might be significantly reduced.

Perhaps there's a way to attach something to the top, a sort of extended laminar lip perhaps, that would push the back pressure flow somewhat higher?

Has anyone here tried something other than cutting off the top section?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 2:50 am

Vetter Snap Vents ( http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Online_Store/Replacement_Parts/Details.html ).
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:02 am

Has anyone tried these for getting rid of the problem?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 am

wingnprayer wrote:
Has anyone tried these for getting rid of the problem?

Burmans ( http://www.burgmanusa.com ) with the Givi windshield have successfully resolved backpressure with these vents. If you search for "vetter" "vents" OR "snap" vents", I believe you will find it.

It provides a second benefit of optional air flow during the warm months.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 am

wingnprayer,

Thanks for bringing this up (and thanks to honda_silver for the suggestions). I've been thinking about venting mine, too, and I've been leaning toward trying to make a Goldwing vent fit (something along these lines: http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product197.html ). But I'm going to look into these other options now, too.

I'll post some pictures if/when I end up doing it (probably won't be until the end of August) and let people know how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:19 am

edbancro wrote:
I've been thinking about venting mine, too, and I've been leaning toward trying to make a Goldwing vent fit (something along these lines: http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product197.html ).

I thought I remember someone writing about trying to put a Goldwing vent on a Givi windshield (do not remember if SWing or Burgman), as I recall they had a problem mounting it because there was not enough flat spot in the windshield.

I have a Clearview with a Goldwing vent, I can measure if you want, but I would suggest creating a flat non-flexible template to see if there is enough room on a Givi to mount a Goldwing vent before you cut any holes.

edbancro wrote:
But I'm going to look into these other options now, too.

I have seen a Burgman up close with a Givi windshield with these snap vents.
Back to top Go down
ce
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:02 am

I had a really rough ride yesterday at 80 miles an hour with my new Givi. It was scary and unpleasant, severe buffeting and I could feel the impedence of the big shield slowing the Wing down.

So, I had read about puting an edging around the handguards to disrupt the laminar flow off the side to disperse the turbulence. My aircraft mechanic buddy said yeah, but along that crease where the shield rises, you're gonna get a real blast coming back off that.

So we went to the auto parts tore and got some plastic door edging, at first I thought chrome, but the black looked cooler, so I bought the 2 2 foot sections instead of the 18 foot roll.
We started at the bottom, and it slipped right on, it was kinda stiff, but it came out pretty solidly attached. The 2 foot section came to just over the top curve, and then I didn't want it in my line of sight, so perfect. The top is still clear.

I'll test it today at 80 MPH and see if it solves the turbulence problem, if not, I'm gonna have to cut the handguards off and see if that works.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:51 pm

honda_silver wrote:
I thought I remember someone writing about trying to put a Goldwing vent on a Givi windshield (do not remember if SWing or Burgman), as I recall they had a problem mounting it because there was not enough flat spot in the windshield.

I was able to find posts from both SWing and Burgman owners who had issues with the Goldwing vents due to the greater curvature of the Givi, so it looks like that's out. But I'm liking the snap vents - the price and ease of installation are definite pluses, and the curvature should be less of an issue.
Back to top Go down
ce
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Well, it seemed a little smoother, but the wind was already blowing at about 30, so I just went for a short ride at 45 MPH. I'll have tie some streamers on or find a wind tunnel and a smoke machine.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 am

Thank you. I was ready to buy one of the Goldwing vents until I read the rest of the story. Those vents are exactly what I am looking for.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Clearview Vent   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 11:54 pm

After ridding a G/W that had a 5 way vent I knew I had to have one.
So the search started and almost ended quickly when Meldrew told me about Clearview 5 way vent. I called 2 times and spoke to the same person and he said 9 out of 10 people failed to be happy with the end results and had to buy a new
$ 200+ windshield from them after trying to do the installation.
When I called back the 3rd time, and spoke to a different person, again the answer was. "I will sell you the vent but do not recommend it"
I spent hrs on YouTube and researching my options and even though no one had a Givi windshield they had put a hole in, there were many that had cut the top down and I feel I can do this and be happy with the end results.
Well I have always been the outcast and willing to try anything once, so I bought one anyway.
The price was $80.00 and it will arrive next week. I will let everyone know how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:37 am

I cut 2 holes in my Givi and put in Vetter vents. I did it to cut down on helmet buffeting from the rear at high speed. They help a little but are not ideal. The air pocket is a little bigger but I still have to lean forward at 80 mph. A different helmet really helped a lot, or maybe I am more used to it?

I like to take out the vents when it is 100 degrees out and get a blast of air in my chest. I think I have pictures posted here. Smile Oh, I find I have them in "reverse" with the opening facing up most of the time.
Modding the Givi shield? Sw_giv14

I did not cut down my Givi - yet.... If buying new I would look at the Givi Airflow.

Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: 5 point adjustable vent   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 1:15 am

I just found out the vent will arrive today.
I feel like I am in the movie Star Track. Boldly going where no man had ever been. That's really quit exciting. alien beamed up
Now if I had half a brain I would take a video of how I managed to screw up a perfectly good Givi windshield.
Last year at 64, I jumped out of a perfectly good air plane with my son, so this can't be quit as exciting.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 6:59 am

Ishkatan wrote:

Is it the photograph but have you got one vent on the outside of the screen (correct way) and one on the inside?

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 am

The round vents go in either way. I experimented some for my own preferences.

I think the "official way" is the way the far (right) one is - plug on the outside and then pushed straight out or tilted as in the picture.

I find that I get better airflow with them backwards and the opening facing up or maybe 11 and 1 o'clock. My purpose was to reduce back-pressure and buffeting on the back of my helmet. This position seems to create the biggest calm air pocket, though I still have to lean forward at high (70-80 mph) speed to get in it. Just a little less lean forward needed than without the vents. Smile Works great at a slow 60-65 mph.

On very hot days I totally take out the Vetter vents and get two 4 inch round columns of air hitting my chest at highway speed.

BTW, I picked up a 2008 Yamaha FJR 1300 AE with 824 miles on it. The E means electric clutch so no clutch lever but I still have to change gears. It is a Sport-Touring bike and the helmet is always in the wind. Strangely I don't feel like it is buffeting the helmet unless I raise the windshield all the way up. But you naturally lean forward on this bike. The FJR cruises comfortably at 75-90 and I hit 100 on the speedo when passing someone I was not sure was going to stay in their lane. This is D.C. commuter traffic.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 5:44 am

How fast do you have to go to feel back pressure on your helmet? Maybe its just me but i dont feel any helmet buffeting. I have the tall Givi windshield and have reached 165 kph (102mph) indicated before backing off. Even at that speed i dont recall my head being pushed forward by wind!
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 11:37 am

What helmet do you have?

My new Shark Evoline 3 helmet seemes to suffer from buffeting from behind less than my HJC 33. It's even better with the chin bar flipped all the way to the back. But the point of having a chin bar is to have it forward.....

It is worst at 70 - 75. The few times I hit 90+ it did not seem to be an issues - but i may have been too excited to notice...

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Scorpion EXO 100
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modding the Givi shield?   Modding the Givi shield? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modding the Givi shield?
Page 1 of 1