Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review

Go down 
+75
ken-z
surlybiker58
stonerolled
Atrick
paul.delo451
acworthpatrick
swingmike
SonnyO
tinman
Guy
EasyRider SilverWinger
RArch
jodders1
MarkB
toolboxjesse
DickO
LarryB
DaveR
SamHouston73
larryinseattle
JeffR_
kbcmdba
dnk2112
johnd
Dimond
john123
cjuzda
model28a
goldwinger
Skyman
The Scootist
JohnJ
hobbykim
Scooterian
kleikvold
Meldrew
GaryT
Winger61
tarmacburner2
midlifecrisis (Paul)
dickie
rogerscoot
martywinger
roadrunner
wis-rider
ajay
russcarver
Laker
jimjotel
Waspie
Windrider
clarinet
Opalsboy
billmc
DennisB
Okiebezer
ehaughn
crahar
MikeO
jdeereanton
billc.
edbancro
bigbird
ronjr009
buddy19520
trooth2u
trouble1100
thomphoto
wingnprayer
Tamjay
john grinsel
dspevack
honda_silver
tonylumps
JeffR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I was given the opportunity to test the new Givi Adjustable Windshield for a review. They sent this to me on June 30th which was just a day after I spoke with the Givi representative. This will be a shorter review since I only put about 50 miles on it with my initial ride. But I did go on the interstate, state roads, and the city. And I also tested it out in the lowest, middle, and highest postions in all of roads.

Packaging

The windshield was very professionally packaged. There were 2 smaller boxes in 1 larger box and everything was put in where it would be very difficult to damage anything on the shield. And all of the parts needed were in there, although there really isn't much that is needed.

Pictures of Shield

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Entire11

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Sepera10

I removed my Givi Windshield that I cut down about 1 1/2". Measuring from the handlebar cover to the top of the Givi screen I cut down was 20 1/2" (measured from the Honda emblem on the handlebar cover). After I installed this Adjustable Givi at the highest position it measured 20 3/4", so it is about 1/4" of taller than the Givi that I took off.

The parts of the shield seem to be very sturdy and easy to use. Here are a couple of close up shots of the fasteners. I'm am calling them fasteners but Givi may refer to them by a different name.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Close_10

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Close_13

The Ride

I started the ride with the screen in it's highest position which allowed my eyes to be about 1" to 2" above the top of the screen. I started on the city street to ride out to the interstate about 1 1/2 miles. I merged onto the interstate and quickly got up to 65 mph (all speeds will be actual in this review) and I didn't notice any buffeting whatsoever. The top part of this windshield seems a bit narrower than the stock Givi shield but it seems a smoother ride without any turbulence at all. I think the gap between the screens really helps out to eliminate buffeting or back pressure. There was no back pressure that pushes your body or helmet forward at all. The single piece Givi shield that I removed would give a small bit of back pressure that would push your helmet or even your body forward a bit. But there was none of that with the new Givi Adjustable shield.

I rode up and down the highway in about 3 mile sections to try out the different height adjustments. I started out in the highest postion.

INTERSTATE

Highest Position

In the highest position it was a nice quiet ride like the single piece (original) Givi shield. But it seems to be a smoother ride since there is no turbulence at all. I ride with a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor and when I raised my visor all the way up I didn't feel the need to have to wear glasses at all. Except for safty issues. I don't feel comfortable at all riding without some type of eye protection. But I wanted to test it out to see if glasses are needed. Well, they aren't. I felt a very small amount of wind/breeze but I think it was from some of the wind that came from the side or from around the shield.

I raised my hand up to see where how far the wind was being pushed up and it was at the top of my helmet. It seems that it pushes the air up about 4" over my eyes and gave absolutely no buffeting at all at 65 mph. I also tried to ride close behind semi-trucks and also to the side of them to see if I felt any of the "sailing" effect that I would get with the single piece Givi shield. Sometimes if the wind was right I would feel the wind catch the shield and give some turbulence or that "sailing" effect. Well, as much as I tried I couldn't get that effect with this new adjustable shield.

Middle Position

I then rode with the shield at the middle positon and I did find a bit more wind hitting my eyes but not much more than at the highest position. It was also pushing the wind to just an inch or two below my helmet but there was no buffeting at the middle position either. It seems to push the wind in a very friendly manner. I also didn't get any of the turbulence or buffeting either at the middle postion, even when trying to ride close to semi's.

Lowest Position

The lowest position would give me more wind, of course, but it was still a smooth kind of effect. Even though the lowest position is probably close to the height of the stock Honda screen it didn't seem to produce any buffeting, that would cause my helmet to be pushed around. The stock screen would push my helmet around pretty bad on the interstate but this Givi adjustable screen didn't do that.

As a side note: I'm 6'0" tall and when I sit on my SWing in my normal riding position my eye level is 31" from the seat. I have a longer torso than an average 6 footer so I was concerned that this adjustable shield may not be tall enough.

I have to say that this windshield on the interstate is a very nice shield that produces a nice smooth ride. There is no turbulence or buffeting at all, even when trying to ride as close to semi-trucks as I could to get that effect. I also didn't notice that "sailing" effect that I would get with the stock Givi or the XL Clearview that I had on at one time.

STATE ROAD

Highest Position

The state road that I road on had a speed limit of 45 mph and it was in very good condition with nice curves on it. I started out with the screen at the highest position and it was very smooth. I didn't really keep it at this height for very long at all. It was about 80-85 degrees there so I pulled over to adjust it to the middle position.

Middle Position

I pulled over and adjusted it to the middle position and rode about 5 miles this way and it is a very smooth ride too. Since the speed limit is only 45 mph it is really nice to have the option to adjust the screen. It felt like a very relaxed ride and gave more wind to my body which helped make the ride more enjoyable since I could stay cooler. I then pulled over to adjust it to the lowest position.

Lowest Position

I rode about another 5 miles with the screen in the lowest position and it was also a very nice ride. I think this is the height I will have it at when I ride on these types of roads at these speeds. When I would raise my visor I would feel more wind, of course, in my eyes but it wasn't alot. But it provided a nice breeze to my body and face and it still didn't produce any buffeting to my helmet/head. It was really a very nice ride that kept me cooler.

I also rode one part of my ride on a 5-6 mile stretch where the speed limit was anywhere from 15 mph to 45 mph due to the tight turns. I started the first 2 miles at the middle position and then dropped it down to the lowest position. With this type of ride it was very nice to be able to adjust the shield. Since the speed was slower, and it was hot out, this made the ride much more comfortable.

Adjusting the Screen:

As for adjusting the screen...it is very, very easy and quick. I would adjust it at stop lights or stop signs and it only takes about 5 seconds. It is just that easy. I wouldn't try to adjust this as you ride but I guess it would be possible, but not very safe. You really need to use 2 hands to do it quickly and safely.

Conclusion:

I know I only went on about a 50 mile ride but I have to say I like this new Givi adjustable screen more than the other screens I have had. I don't know if it is the "air-foil" or what, but the ride was very smooth and without any turbulence or buffeting. Even at the lowest heights I still didn't feel turbulence or buffeting. I know that there was more wind at my face at the lowest setting but the wind didn't push my helmet around. It is hard to explain but this shield seems to push the wind up a good amount of distance. When I had my Majesty I put a Laminar Lip on the Givi shield I had and it did help. I think that this shield gives that effect of the Laminar Lip but to a much better extent.

I will give additional updates but if I were in the process of buying an aftermarket screen this is the one that I would choose. I think that if you are a bit over 6' tall it will still do a good job for you. I'm not sure how it would do in the rain so I can't comment on that but it doesn't rain much out here in California.

I can say that when I am in the hills/mountains and on some nice curvy roads I will be keeping it down in the lowest positon, if it is warm out. It is really nice to have these options available to you when riding. The highest position is great on the interstate but I think I will be keeping it in the lowest or middle position in the city or out on my country rides.

Here are some more pictures:

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Close_10

This how the screen fits into the fastener.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Side_v10

This a side view of the screen at the highest level.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Pictur10

This is a picture at the lowest setting. My eyes are probably 5" over the top.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 Pictur11

This is the screen at the highest level. My eyes are 1" to maybe 2" over the top.

I would like to thank Givi for giving me this opportunity to review this new shield of theirs. It really is a very nice shield and gives the rider the ability to adjust the screen as needed. If you have any questions please reply to this post and I will keep them in mind for when I give updates. I'm sure i forgot some things so please just respond and I will do my best to get you an answer, if I can. Thanks for reading.

"edited on July 5th"

I'm not sure who all sells these but I have seen them on

www.scootertrap.com and I know Matt is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited by JeffR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the great instructions on here, I ordered and installed this myself and it works great, though I have to admit I liked my older solid tall Givi better.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:49 am

I have the older tall solid Givi, and I ride 2 lanes and interstate, with and w/o a passenger. There is virtually no buffeting for either person, and it is very comfortable to us. I am 5' 10" & Shoei Full face helmet, my wife is 5'4" and HJC full face. We communicate with Chatterbox wired system with virtually NO wind noise.
I think the AF214 would be nice in that you have the adjustability option which I don't have with the tall Givi.
I would like to know if AF214 owners who previously had the tall Givi have other reasons to like it. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think the single piece shield is more attractive.
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 am

I like the adjust ability of it, but the problem is alot of air comes through the upper gap between the adjustable part and the base windshield on top of whats already making its way through the lower gap. I think its gonna keep me cold this winter.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 am

acworthpatrick wrote:
I like the adjust ability of it, but the problem is alot of air comes through the upper gap between the adjustable part and the base windshield on top of whats already making its way through the lower gap. I think its gonna keep me cold this winter.

You can adjust the upper section so that the airflow through the upper and lower sections are directed over your head. After a year or so's usage I know exactly where to position the screen for maximum protection and beneficial cooling during the hotter months.

I found the best position for protection in the rain, I could see when the moist air was directed over my head and not onto the visor.

Give it some time and you will find the screens optimum positioning!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 am

acworthpatrick wrote:

I cut a piece of adhesive backed SAENG Stealth screen edging and stuck it in this gap to deflect rain from being blown up through there and the drops hitting my visor.

It must work because I done this a couple of months ago, and I'd forgotten about it until I read your post.
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 am

Great thread and info. The only downside on the wing for me is the loud buffeting on the helmet so I think I am going to order a Givi AF214 adjustable. Could some kind person please confirm that a 2012 SW is the same as a 2009 because the UK dealers show the part as fitting 2001 - 2009
Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.coventryselfstorage.co.uk
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 am

Of course it is, they've barely changed since 2001.
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks Meldrew, I have been in touch with an ebay seller and he sent me this info:
There is a lot of pre 2009 Silver Wing's sold in the UK as "brand new" (sold as new in 2010,'11 & '12), that in reality are manufactured pre 2009 models (all pre 2009 year of manufacture use the AF214 type of screen)
However Honda have allready made an update since 2010 & they use the AF318 Givi screens. (this make confusion because the "new post 2010 models are quite commun abroad but not in the uk)

He offered to check if I gave him my VIN so I will see where it takes me.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 am

You can check your own VIN out, try these for starters:

http://honda-tech.com/vindecoder.php

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/honda.asp
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks RArch, It looks as if my bike doesn't exist but a similar number says
World region:Asia
Manufactured in:Japan
Year:2007
Make:Honda

So have I bought a brand new 5 year old bike?
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 12:28 pm

billc. wrote:
I have the older tall solid Givi,.....
I would like to know if AF214 owners who previously had the tall Givi have other reasons to like it. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think the single piece shield is more attractive.

I have the Adjustable Givi - but have ridden a SWing with a Tall Givi. IMHO, the Adjustable is great in mild, hot, and rainy weather and its pluses are that you don't have to look through it and there is nice/pleasant air movement behind it. The Adjustable makes you feel one with the outside world without even noticing (when adjusted) during riding that there is a windshield in front of you. Buffeting is minor - but it is definitely present. The Adjustable is going to be much colder than the Tall during winter weather; however, I live in N. California at near sea level so there are not that many cold winter days. My Adjustable in the 40's (multi-hour rides) is too cold for me. The Tall has very little air movement behind it, no buffeting, and you feel completely protected from the elements. Both Adjustable and Tall provide the same (very good) hand protection as they each have identical 'Mickey Mouse' ears that extend out to the sides - which by the way seem to direct air outward/upward while providing great structural shield 'anti-flex' stability.

Here is how I (IMHO) would rank Tall (T) vs. Adjustable (A):
1. Rain Protection - While T is best, A is satisfactory on high setting. During serious storms rain hits very top of my full-face helmet on my A then runs down my faceshield and drips onto me.

2. Buffeting - While T is best, A is satisfactory.

3. Wind Protection - The T provides much better wind protection, but the A lets you enjoy the wind.

4. Mild/Hot Weather - The A is best as the T stops a lot more air movement.

5. Cool/Cold Weather - The A wins this one hands down.

6. No Faceshield - The T would be best if you don't use a faceshield as the A lets in the occasional bust particle or bee (even when wearing sunglasses) that can be a bit of a nuisance.

7. Fun Factor - The A clearly wins this battle during mild/hot weather. There is nothing like the feeling that there are no barriers between you and what is in front of you. The A makes you feel adventurous while the T makes you feel protected.

8. Winter Riding - The T wins if you don't like the cold or are a winter wimp - like me. I tolerate my A in the winter - but don't really like it as I need to wear more cold weather gear to help counter the cold.

9. High Cross Winds - Guessing that the A provides far less of a wind sail - which should help in strong cross winds.

10. Lane Splitting/Maneuvering - The A can be lowered easily (while moving) when traffic is slow, congested, or you need to split a bit - and it helps me see a bit better. However, don't try to raise it while moving as one time it came off in my hand going up a freeway ramp and it is problematic (but can be done) to get the shield back in the guide runners while moving.

11. Visibility - The A is best (assuming you are using a faceshield helmet). You will likely be looking through the T so you will need to keep it clean and ensure that rain/fog does not adversely impact your vision.

So, which to choose?

Pleasure Riding - I am guessing that pleasure riders (like me) ride mostly during the more temperate times of the year and avoid cold weather riding AND they are riding to have FUN. Therefore, I would highly recommend buying the A over the stock OEM windshield. I think this recommendation is supported by the vast majority of the posts in this thread.

Winter/Commuter/Protected Riding - I would suggest getting the T as it provides superior weather protection, best in the cold, less noise, and will keep you a bit drier.

Combined Riding (both of above) - Guess you will need to buy both! A for temperate months and T for the cold ones.

In conclusion, if you like your existing windshield (e.g., A, T, OEM, other), then there seems to be no real good reason for you to change. If you want to change, start with A unless there is a reason for you to pick the T.

PS - I am 5'-10" with 30" inseam (i.e., a bit longer torso) and size matters (when picking a windshield!).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 1:21 pm

I have had SilverWing with AF266 shield, of the Maxi scooters I have purchased new (TMAX/Burgman400/Refex/Helix/SilverWing), the SilverWing can be made the most buffet free, with AF266 Shield/Baker Air Wings/home made lowers around feet-----these mods seem to overcome the common maxi scooter problem of your nose being too far from tip of shield---my baseline for comparison, BMW equipped with Heinrich fairing uppers and lowers or my NT700V Honda.

Under no conditions would I ride a motorcycle/scooter looking thru a plastic windshield---think snow/sleet/rain/reflection in sunset or sunrise----it is just too dangerous. I want to see what I might hit----and I am still here after over 1.5 million miles. I will ride in all weathers.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Quote :
Givi AF214 adjustable. Could some kind person please confirm that a 2012 SW is the same as a 2009 because the UK dealers show the part as fitting 2001 - 2009

Paul,

You can forget about the model years given in the advertising spec., mine is a 2012 and I had no difficulty fitting the screen. I did use the metal brackets however as I felt they would even out any possible pressure on the screw holes but didn't bother to drill the top hole & haven't had any problems.
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks Gerry, I found a dealer on Ebay who confirmed it was all the same and so I fitted the screen with the brackets but because of my clumsiness no extra bolts.

I went for a ride on Saturday through rain and wind and it was much much better than the original screen.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm

paul.delo451 wrote:
Thanks Meldrew, I have been in touch with an ebay seller and he sent me this info:
There is a lot of pre 2009 Silver Wing's sold in the UK as "brand new" (sold as new in 2010,'11 & '12), that in reality are manufactured pre 2009 models (all pre 2009 year of manufacture use the AF214 type of screen)
However Honda have allready made an update since 2010 & they use the AF318 Givi screens. (this make confusion because the "new post 2010 models are quite commun abroad but not in the uk)

He offered to check if I gave him my VIN so I will see where it takes me.

Yes, the AF 318 Airflow is for the SW-T 400 and 600 Silver Wing models as yet unavailable in the UK and US.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 5:34 pm

As I said previously, I have the stock w/s and Givi adjustable as well as the AF214 which I cut 2 and 1/2 inch off. I am 6'1'' and 220 lbs. I like the full w/s best over all. Now have 32000 smiles under all kinds of weather conditions . . .keep going back to the Givi 214 one piece come rain or wind.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
stonerolled
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 pm

I drilled too far so I am sans brackets.
It seems that without them it is quite stable.
6 fastener points is solid in my opinion.

I must say after several hundred miles now, I also would recommend the givi air flow. It is true that it lets in a nice amount of air. It is pleasant.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm quite happy with the Givi standard.
it's the right height for me , I can easily see over it or duck behind it if need be.
Haven't tried the Air-Flow but at this point see no reason to.
Back to top Go down
stonerolled
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 3:20 pm

surlybiker58 wrote:
I'm quite happy with the Givi standard.
it's the right height for me , I can easily see over it or duck behind it if need be.
Haven't tried the Air-Flow but at this point see no reason to.
I will probably also end up with the solid givi also, would probably be better for dec, jan, and feb. It is no problem switching often. I have the honda sh 150 and I love the stock windshield on it(actually had to order in US), can see over when needed but through most of the time. very comfortable. glad i did not cut it down, and I will refrain from cutting the givi standard also as long as can see over when needed.
Back to top Go down
ken-z
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ken-z

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Dimond

in your oct. 30th post you mention a givi
tall windshield.
Are you refering to the 214DT
that is 26.5 inches tall.

thanks in advance.
Ken
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 3:26 am

Well I ordered my AF. This is my third SW and each time I have tried to make do with the stock, but again I have given up, just too much buffeting. Previously I have had the full Givi. I hope the AF is all it's cracked up to be:) Thanks for all the input from you folks...Dan
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm

I was out on the scooter today. It was about 46F and at 70mph on the freeway I was comfortable with my 3/4 helmet and leather jacket. I had Gerbings G3 electric gloves on but not connected. The Givi adjustable was nearly at the highest setting and I experienced no helmet buffeting and the wind over the handlebar grips was very light. The main slipstream of air was passing about two inches outboard of the grips. The windstream over my helmet was about three inches over my helmet. When passing a car and kicking it up to about 80mph I did get a little push from behind against my back, it was light but definitely a bit of forward pressure. It doesn't happen at speed when I lower the windshield a bit. Since I don't run that fast often I leave the screen all the way up for cool weather use. Over all I'm extremely pleased I went with the adjustable one. It doesn't block one's direct vision either. I won't ride a bike that I can't see comfortably over the windshield. There have been several incidents in rain and fog where the windshield was fogged over. In the mountains it can happen suddenly with no warning as the road dips and rises. To me this windshield was worth every penny and a bit of head scratching trying to grasp the Italian and German instructions.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Unfortunately, when i came back fom a run out on Saturday my bike moved forward as i put the side stand down to open my gate at home and the bike fell over breaking my Givi screen (214DT). I put the original screen back on. I went riding on Sunday and apart from a little more wind on my hands there was no differance. Maybe because i don't ride on the Motorways(i just find them boring) and usually keep to the 60mph limits i may not benefit from the bigger screen. Early days yet i suppose, if i do opt for another Givi i might try the Airflow. Surprised
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Sorry to here of your of Swing falling to the ground . It is always a concern of mine when using the side stand and I use the emergency brake every time for that reason only.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 3:00 pm

I realise now tinman that would have been the wise thing to do. Lesson learned. The thing that surprised me the most was that i picked the bike upright before i had time to think about how heavey it was, guess iam stronger than i thought. Smile
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 pm

The only time I use the side stand is when I pull my wing into my Garage
since I don't have a power garage door opener .
Learned my lesson about not trusting side stands years ago with my
CB550k. One Maryland summer it got hot enough to melt the asphalt and
the bike keeled over in a parking lot. Bent up the turn signals and busted a brake lever.

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 am

I mentioned this before but will again. . .If you want to know how the air is being "managed" with the GIVI adjustable, get some yarn and just mask (masking tape) some short pieces 3 to 6 inches at various places on both the top edge of the lower shield and top edge of the upper shield. You can then tell where the air is "flowing" past the wind shield. When I was in aviation, we used to do this to test air foils on aircraft surfaces. It does work and is interesting to watch.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska U.S.A. Smile
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm

I make it a practice to lower my bikes to the ground by placing a rug or cardboard in my garage to get the feel of it ,the emergency brake help to stop it from rolling . Every year it seems to get harder . to many mods. :lol!: When it happen at the coffee shop I lift it fast then whistle a tune like nothing happen Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 am

Just leave it there and get your coffee. If anyone asks tell them the kickstand's in the shop for repairs so you have to park it that way.
Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am

Hi, I'm still trying to get confirmation that the AF214 will indeed fit a UK 2012 SW.

According to Givi Uk, the straight answer is 'NO it won't!'
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Have you got a Honda FJS 600 or SW-T 600? Do a search on Google and check the differences to see which model you have. I suspect you have the FJS and it will fit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 6:46 am

Greetings and many thanks for your advice.

I do indeed have the FJS 600.

Givi UK insist that it won't fit, whereas you and NativeViking are clear that it does.

You trump Givi.

Screen ordered for Monday delivery.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 am

It's dead simple, we haven't got the SW-T 600 in the UK, and the folk at Givi UK are only going to look at the info on the website. So if you've not got the twin headlights of the SW-T at the front and it looks like the Silver Wing at the top of the page, the AF 214 will fit.
Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 7:28 am

It really is reassuring to know that you concur.

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment.

Regards
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Has anyone tried the "Yarn" on their wind screen to see how it is managing the air flow? Please do so and respond if you will. . .
I think it will tell you how each of the w/s manage the wind stream and which screen is most efficient.
Old Dave Smile
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Clivewalsh,

Despite what you've been told by Givi, the Airfow AF214 does fit the 2012 FJS600 - I took delivery of my scooter on 1st Sept. and fitted the screen a week later - see my profile picture!!

Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 2:37 pm

...and I take it that you are pleased with the screen and find it an improvement???

And what about all the other additions shown - leg shields and mirror extensions and ....? Are they all proving their worth?

Regards
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 3:01 pm

The legshield wind deflectors work a treat, no cold breeze up the trouser legs, and the mirror extenders (ebay) are perfect for seeing past your elbows & those of your passenger!!

The Givi screen is infinitely better than the stock item. It took a bit of experimentation to find the optimum height - too high or too low caused some buffeting but nowhere as bad as the stock though! I've got it about 2/3 of the way up now & that seems about right for me. It does a good job of keeping the cold wind/rain off your hands also!!!
Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback - very useful.

Always best to learn from others experiences where possible.

This time of the year it's good to find ways of staying warm(er) when riding.

The legshield wind deflectors sound to be worth exploring once I've sorted the screen.

Regards
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 5:06 pm

I think it's important to use the brackets on the Givi Adjustable. The front and middle bolts that pass through the bracket are solidly bolted to the bike's frame. That relieves the two windshield bolts that pass through the bracket from putting any strain on the plastic parts. My windshield doesn't rattle and is quite rigid. Lately the weather has been rainy and near freezing or colder. This windscreen is a vast improvement on the OEM. I wish someone on the West side of the Atlantic would sell those leg wind delflectors. Those look very good, like part of the bike and not tacked on.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Just gotta brag on this Givi Adjustable windshield again. I was out in 32F temps this morning now that the snow and ice is off the road again. It's hard to believe how well this thing keeps the wind off the rider. I leaned out just a bit going down the road and was amazed at the wind blast coming off the side of the shield but was sitting almost in still air when in the normal position. Also since I put on the screen on I haven't had to use my Gerbings electrical heated gear. This thing really is a winner!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I have the UK wind deflectors along with the AF windscreen, They cost me $295.00 total and money well spent. Smile motorcycle
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

I would like the UK wind deflectors because the back of my thighs get a bit chilly in this cold weather. Maybe next winter. I tried a set of some cheaper wind deflectors made of flexible flat plastic a couple years ago on my first SW but they weren't satisfactory. Those from the UK look very good like they were OEM. I wish some US vendor would import a batch of those.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 pm

You can order them your self. PM me for the information on how to make the order,It will take 5 to 6 weeks so if you want them for the spring time,now is a good time to make the order. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for the offer, I'll probably take you up on that after the Christmas expenses are over. small moped
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 4:46 am

From my original order invoice, Honda's part no./description for the legshield wind deflectors is:

08R82MCT800 Leg Deflectors

I'm somewhat amazed Shocked that these are not available in the US so hope this helps a bit!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8