Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

J Costa Install

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

J Costa Install Empty
PostSubject: J Costa Install   J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 6:21 am

I just bought my Swing about 6 weeks ago and yesterday i went for my first long ride about 250 miles. Every once in a while I would notice a little rubber burnt smell It is a 2002 with almost 7000 miles I am thinking it is the belt slapping . Everybody on this Great forum got me interested in the Jcosta upgrade. My question is should i replace the belt at the same time I do the upgrade. I am going to take the covers off this week and check the belt and clean everything. Thanks Tony
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

J Costa Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Install   J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 7:48 am

I doubt the belt slapping would generate enough heat to create a burnt rubber smell. You can actually hear the belt slapping at low speeds while accelerating hard. I've never smelt the belt (rhymes) at the times I've heard the belt slapping. Was able to detect the odor of hot rubber and hot asbestos during a parade once. So glad I didn't have a clutch.

Ah the siren lure of the amazing elixer known as the JCosta....

If you are concerned about the belt and are planning to replace the variator - you should replace the belt. You won't have piece of mind unless you do just that. It is an eight year old belt and I've enver heard of one breaking due to age, but in this ever - over cautious age you just can't be too sure.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

J Costa Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Install   J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 7:59 am

Dan do you think It could be the belt because I am not used to the SWINGS drive system I do ride a VSTAR and really have to adjust from one to the other It takes awhile to remember the brake is not a clutch and when I slow down for a light I have to remember not to pull the clutch in on the SWING Tony
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

J Costa Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Install   J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 9:46 am

Tony,

If you are asking me if I think it is the belt... I'm going to have to lawyer up here: "Anything I say, that could be construed as advise regarding the wear, lack of wear, age, lack of age, or replacement of the drive belt on your 2002 SilverWing is only my opinion or an estimation of what I might do or might or might not have done." J Costa Install Icon_wink

The belt slap issue is annoying, but really only presents itself for very brief periods of time. It has a regularity and a repeatability to it. It is audible when you roll onto the throttle while at speed. I mean really roll onto the throttle. It is brief and I've not heard it byeond the acceleration phase.

If you are detecting an odor that smells vaguely like (really) hot brakes then you are possibly experiencing belt slippage. Belt slippage is almost always accompanied by a squeal at slow speed acceleration. This is correctable and I've done this procedure, but like all thngs there may be some unintended side effects.

Belt Slippage Cure(?): Place front tire solidly against a solid object that is not likely to move (tree, concrete block wall). Engage front brake, and roll the throttle hard, hold it for 5 to 10 seconds. You will smell a very offensive odor, but that should resolve the belt slip. You have however just super heated all of the clutch surfaces that come in contact with the belt and possibly the variator faces as well. It is possible that going into the belt case and cleaning all the surfaces and removing all of the dust would result in a similar outcome.

Belt Age: Again I've never heard of a belt failure due to age. If concerned about it - replace the belt.

If you are going to install the JCosta then you have options - perform a thorough cleaning - replace the belt - ?

Me, I'd ride that thing, it's just not that annoying to me.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

J Costa Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Install   J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks Dale I am going to open it up just to see whats in there and clean if it needs it Tony
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

J Costa Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Install   J Costa Install I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Dale just an update i took all the covers off, Started the swing ran the RPMs up watch to see what the belt was doing Had the slap backing off the RPMs quick. Took all apart cleaned everything The belt looked good But had nothing to compare it with Except when running the RPMs all the way up it did reach the top of the pully. The rollers did not look to good, a lot of scars on the faces When i put the belt back on It did the same thing after cleaning .So i really do not want to change the way the swing performes So I am going to change the belt because of it's age And I ordered the DR Pullysliders same weight 28 gr.So if you want I will let you know how it works out Thanks for your help Tony
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

J Costa Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Install   J Costa Install I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J Costa Install
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: