Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Battery Charging

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Battery Charging   Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi All,
This is from the FWIW (for what it's worth) department. Tried starting my SWing last Thursday after it had set in a very cold garage for quite some time. It turned over pretty good but not enough to get it started. Finally, recently, got around to checking the voltage and it was down to about 12.3 volts.

I put a standard charger on it for about an hour and it was only about 12.6 volts then (didn't try to start it) but had to leave the house for some more Christmas Dinner shopping. So when I got back a few hours later I rechecked the volts and it was still 12.6 so I hooked up the charger again hoping to get it up to the 13.2 volts or whatever the manual calls for.

Left it on for 2 hours, checked it again and it was still the 12.6, so I decided to try and start it. To my amazement, it started right up. It's supposed to snow again tonight so I won't be able to take it out on the long drive it so badly needs. Plus I suppose that lower voltage, although functional, is telling me to get a new batter pretty soon. Anyway, that's what I'm planning on now.

Like I said... FWIW.... Oh!! And to whom it applies....
Y'all have a Merry Christmas or Hannukkah or whatever!!!

DickO
2005 Black ABS Stock Harveyville, Kansas
Back to top Go down

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Charging   Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 7:22 am

Years ago I took my battery out of my other bike and had the dealership keep it charged over the winter. But the guys in my group said they just start their's every week or two. So I have done that the past few years and that seems so easy. Plus when you get a nice day it's ready to ride. Several of the guys have those trickle chargers and like them.
Our garage is not heated but well insulated. Things don't freeze but it gets cold. Even in the snow I just back it out and let it run for a few minutes. Who knows if that's the best way to do this...
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Charging   Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 9:39 am

Hi DickO,
What starts you scooter is not DC voltage.... but DC amperage. The battery stores DC voltage in the form of amps. Batteries can say they have 12 volts but if you have no stored amps your scooter will not start. If your battery cannot store DC amperage and is getting old then it is very possible that your battery needs to be replaced soon. Try to meaure the stored amps next time you charge it. Battery amp meters are cheap and will give you a better idea of whats going on. Always take a meaurment before and after you use your charger. study

DennisB sunny
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Charging   Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 8:03 pm

When I was in Illinois I would either try to ride it in between snows or just pull it out and run the engine for about 5-10 minutes every week. I just liked sitting on my cycles and running them and I thought it was more run and easier then putting a charger on them.

Does anyone know about how long a battery lasts for the SWing. Mine will be 2 years old in March '07, when I bought it , but I don't have a clue on how long the batteries usually last.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Battery insanity   Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 3:42 pm

I started to read around to see if I could piece the info together but am confused. I haven't removed my battery yet, but purchased a motomaster intelligent charger today as my bike konked out on monday. I hope it's the battery!! I have an 07' S-wing and feel the battery should not be dead yet. My brother -in -law says it is harder on your bike to just run for 5 min and should remove and charge it over the winter. I have a cold underground where I live which probably contributed to it. The Question I want to know is what type of battery do we have?? Gel? so I know how to set on charger. Thanks. geek
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Charging   Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Alphawing,

Here is some info on the battery:
For Batteries themsleves the link for the factory battery is

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.asp?bID=B178&vID=401

The other one is:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.asp?bID=B179&vID=6485

2 batteries fit the Silverwing:
the YTZ12S which is the stock battery with 210 CCA and 11 amp hours
the YTZ14S which will also fit and has 230 CCA and 11.2 amp hours
The batteries are otherwise identical in every way.
Search the web for local or cheap sources of the model you want.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This company seems to have a few alternative batteries also.
Check their cross reference system to find the battery choices for the Silverwing. I think there are 4 choices.

http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/landing_pages/powersport/UBTZ12S.htm

edited to include the below info:

But my question is: How did Dennis get all this info on the SWing but somehow omit the battery info? Could it be a conspiracy? Twisted Evil

I am reposting this so see if I can get the info into a text file instead of a spreadsheet:

Oil SG 10W-40 (NOT energy conserving or castor oil)Capacity 2.1/2.3 qt (change with filter)
Oil Filter Honda 15410-MCJ-003, KN204, Walmart ST7317, Purolator Pure One PL14610
Tires Front (29 psi) 120/80-14M/C 58S Bridgestone Hoop B03, IRC SS530F
Rear (39 psi) 150/70-13M/C 64S Bridgestone Hoop B02 IRC SS530R
Spark Plugs NGK CR8EH-9 or DENSO U24FER9
Fuses 30A 15A 10A
Engine Type 582cc liquid-cooled four-stroke parallel-twin Bore and Stroke 72mm x 71.5mm
Compression Ratio 10.2:1
Valve Train DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit
Ignition Computer-controlled fully transistorized with electronic advance
Transmission Transmission: Automatic V-Matic belt drive
Suspension Front 41mm hydraulic fork; 4.7 inches travel
Rear Swingarm with dual hydraulic shocks with five-position spring , , preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Brakes Front Single 256mm disc with CBS three-piston caliper Rear Single 240mm disc with CBS twin-piston caliper
Tires Front 120/80-14 Rear 150/70-13
Wheelbase 62.8 inches
Seat Height 29.1 inches
Overall dimensions Length 89.6 inches Width 30.3 inches Height 56.3 inches
Dry Weight 501 pounds
Curb weight 540 pounds
Max Weight Capacity 366 pounds
Fuel 86 octane or higher
Tank Capacity 4.23 gallons, including 0.9 gallon reserve
K & N Air Filter HA-6002
K& N Oil Filter KN-204 Purolator Pure One PL14610
Headlight 12v 55w x2 Size H7 or Sylvania Silverstar H7ST

BASIC MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
600 Miles Oil and filter. Inspect Engine Idle Speed
4,000 Miles Clean belt case, air cleaner, and crankcase breather. 8,000 Miles Replace spark plugs, oil and filter. Clean belt case, air cleaner, crankcase breather, and oil strainer screen.
12,000 Miles Replace air cleaner. Clean belt case and crankcase breather. Replace brake fluid (or at 2 years).
16,000 Miles Replace spark plugs, oil and filter, and drive belt. Clean belt case, air cleaner, and crankcase breather.
Special Maintenance Notes: Change Oil and Filter every 12 months Replace brake fluid and final drive oil every 2 years Inspect drive belt every 12,000 miles
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Charging   Battery Charging I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Jeff,
The answer is simple. I don't use a battery. I push it, to start it. Just run up to 15 mph and jump on it. Works like a charm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battery Charging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Charging   Battery Charging I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Charging
Page 1 of 1