Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Pirelli Diablos tires

Go down 
+11
DaveR
honda_silver
Hammy
Chinasaur
som2002
john123
buddy19520
The Scootist
masscoot
JeffR
billc.
15 posters
AuthorMessage
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

New Pirelli Diablos tires Empty
PostSubject: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 9:11 am

I just had New Pirelli Diablos tires installed on my SWing a week ago. I have ridden about 200 miles this week and the feel is incredibly SMOOTH.
But what else, I asked the dealer to CAREFULLY BALANCE the tires, and now I am able to take my hands off the handlebar while going 25-35 mph with NO WOBBLE!!
Not that I do that often, but the fact is I can now do it confidently without shimmy or wobble, and for that I am grateful. It will be interesting to see if this last or returns with tire wear. billc.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Bill,

I had 2 sets of Diablo's and they are great tires. I liked them much better than the OEM Hoops. Each of my sets lasted about 10,000 miles and I probably could have gotten another 1,000 or so on the rear. The front always seem to last better.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 7:23 pm

I just installed 2 new Metzeler Feelfree's. I thought that the ride on the hoops was ok but not fantastic, and as they wear they ride worse. I wanted the Diablos' but at the last minute opted for the Metzelers for their...well its my first pair. They are suposed to last longer and perform better, I got 8-9K out of each set of Hoops. I'm not sure how many SWs ride on Metz's so I'll give a report after I get a chance to scrub them up a little.

...snow showers here today New Pirelli Diablos tires Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 am

I have the Metzlers now and really like them. They are very smooth and feel like the Diablo's. The Metzlers and Diablo's are better than the Hoops IMO. I have about 1,000 miles and glad I tried them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 9:48 am

I replaced the OEM Hoops with a set of Metzler Feel Free tires about the same time JeffR put his on. I also have about 1,000 miles on them and I really like them too. They seem to ride very smooth and track really well through the high speed sweeping curves.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:09 am

I also got a pair of the Diablos installed on April 1. The original IRCs were okay (and being a new rider I didn't know any better) but the Diablos are a real improvement.

They are a bit smoother. They turn much easier - the IRCs used to need a lot of counter-steer to get the bike to turn while the Diablos respond well to lean.

I had 7400 miles on the IRCs and was wearing out the treadwear indicator. I hope that the 10,000 mile claims are accurate.

BTW, I was going to order the tires online (I think from Motorcycle Superstore, but am not sure) and was calling local Honda dealers to inquire about mounting. The one dealer sold me the tires for $105 for the pair, essentially matching the online price (but tax was extra). Their mounting cost when it was all said and done ended up higher than I was quoted on the phone - $115 vs the $84 phone quote. It seems that the little things like valve stems actually do cost extra, despite the impression I got on the telephone. This was at Charlotte Honda. So I ended up spending $230 when all was said and done, but I didn't have to do anything other than drive the bike to the store and wait 1.5 hours while they completed the work.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I got close to 9,000 miles on my originals and decided after reading about all the good features of the Diablo's, called the super Store and paid $110.00 out the door.

I am a hands on kind of guy and wanted to try replacing the tires my self.
Thanks again to this forum, it took all of maybe twenty min to remove the rear and with my sons help lifting up the front end, 10 min for the front.
I took the wheels and tires to my local shop and in half an hr. and $40.00 later was on my way.

So I was very happy with the price and installation process was a snap.

Only problem is at 62 years old, and with years of back pain I should have used a scooter jack and not my back to lift up the front end.

The tires them self are fantastic. Quiet,smooth and are far better at clinging to the corners than the originals.
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Another vote for Diablo. Just recently switched rear to a diablo and it is worlds different for the hoop that I went with the last 2 times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 am

I have about 500 miles on my new Pirelli Diablos and the grip in turns while accelerating is far superior to the original Bridgestones on my bike. They are also very smooth and the Honda dealer did a great job of properly balancing them with minimal weights.
One other point, which I really like, is when I check the air pressure, it is virtually ALWAYS full, so at this time there is no loss of air pressure during a week!! and that is a good feeling. billc.
Back to top Go down
Chinasaur
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Hey all..don't want to ignite a tire holy war..just a question.

I ride more highway than twisties..so I'm looking for the better tire for longevity. I always squared off my motorcycle rear tires due to long highway miles so I need the harder compounded tire.

The Pirelli's or the Metzlers (or another quality brand) for better wear on the rear over time?
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:41 pm

I can only speak from my experience with the stock Bridgestone Hoops and my Pirelli's. The Pirelli's won't last very long, and I really didn't like the Hoops I had. I'm replacing my rear tire with a Sumitomo darkside tire with Cosmic Jumper's help because I want my rear tires to last me a lot longer than the Pirelli's do (I'm replacing mine just a hair over 8k miles - could probably still go another 1k miles, but don't wanna chance it). If you're looking for ride longevity, I think some folks have found the darkside tire to be better in that regard... (and now I'm sure I'll get the obligatory "Are You Nuts?!" comment or 2. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Hammy wrote:
If you're looking for ride longevity, I think some folks have found the darkside tire to be better in that regard... (and now I'm sure I'll get the obligatory "Are You Nuts?!" comment or 2. Laughing

"Are You Nuts?!" ... Cool .

I have almost 30,000 miles on my current darkside Sumitomo tire, I am estimating about 40,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 8:00 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Wow! That sounds awesome. Is it hard to get someone to put a darkside tire on? I'll be interested when I get where I need a one.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 11:58 pm

I just replaced my rear "Pirelli Diablo" with a Metzler. I had 7500 miles on the Diablo and just decided I would try the Metzler. So far I can't feel any difference in the two tires. Will be interesting to see how long this Metzler lasts. I put the 7500 miles on from September of last year to September of this year.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:54 am

Hi All, just one quick question: my '06 comes with bias-ply tires, and I'm reading all the good things about Pirelli Diablos, which, as far as I can see are radials; has anyone addressed the possible issues one might encounter by doing the switchover?

Pendragon
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey Pen,
I just switched from IRC's to the Pirelli's about 3 weeks ago. Being a less experienced rider (two and a half years), I nevertheless haven't noticed much, if any, difference between the two. But like I said, I haven't had them long.

I just wanted to comment though, that I never gave much thought as to whether or not the tires were radial or bias ply (lack of MC experience?).
Anyway, I "kinda" assumed that MC tires in this day and age were radials by default. Never dreamed there would be any bias ply units. Wouldn't radial ply design be of better use on a MC tire than bias? Just wonderin'.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:06 pm

That's my take, Dicko, but then, I've installed hundreds of both types in my days at the shop. I remember putting a set of customer-supplied radials on a 1500 Wing, and when I test-rode it I found them to be unmanageable. I so advised the customer, who rode it as far as Seattle from B.C. and changed back to Bias; so; hence my question. Just wondering if there might be some legal niceties involved.

Pendragon the perplexed.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 pm

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_scooter.html

Available as a radial and conventional tire (or tyre).
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:36 pm

i'm going to stick with my bridgestone hoops,
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks Dale, now I'll bet everybody will be looking at their ride to see if they have radials or not, eh? :-)

Pendragon

Things are more like they used to be than they were before!
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Hi All, just one quick question: my '06 comes with bias-ply tires, and I'm reading all the good things about Pirelli Diablos, which, as far as I can see are radials; has anyone addressed the possible issues one might encounter by doing the switchover?

Pendragon
Hi Pendragon,
You will probably only notice the improved feel of new tires, not any subtle difference between a radial or bias-ply tire. I switched to the Pirellis about 1500 miles ago, and the difference between those an the Hoops was very noticeable -in a good way.

Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Sweendog, thanks for the comeback, good info.

Pendragon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Pirelli Diablos tires   New Pirelli Diablos tires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Pirelli Diablos tires
Page 1 of 1