Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Surrey Lanes & Minor Off

Go down 
+3
MikeO
"Hi Yo"
AlanRogers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanRogers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AlanRogers

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Surrey Lanes & Minor Off Empty
PostSubject: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 4:49 am

Last Thursday morning was very cold in South East England and, following the 'extreme weather' we enjoyed over the winter, the roads are in an appalling state.

At 08:15 on said morning, a cold tyre met some frost/ice/moss/diesel and in the blink of an eye, both rider and stead are sliding down the road, wheels and feet spinning worthlessly in the air.

I got away with a broken finger and a bruised calf but the bike's scraped up to the tune of £2,000 in panels, bent bits of metal and labour. Bang goes the No Claims Discount!

This was all at low speed on a corner where Merstham Road becomes Pendell Road, outside of Hawthornes School, that I've been round countless times before. At the time it was also very wet after heavy rains the night before and frosty.

The moral of this tale? Simply don't take it for granted. Ride cautiously and be as alert on roads you know as those you're experiencing for the first time. I did nothing wrong, but it didn't matter ... I still got bit!

Last edited by AlanRogers on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Improved map link)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dreamgenius.net
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Surrey Lanes & Minor Off 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 5:47 am

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Happy to hear you escaped with minor injuries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:40 am

Sorry about your Stead and the pain in the wallet. You have two calfs and eight fingers but only one life. Thank the man up stairs you still have that.
Back to top Go down
AlanRogers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AlanRogers

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 am

justputzn wrote:
Thank the man up stairs you still have that.
Oh yeah, I do, really!

As a friend of mine said, any off you walk away from is a result. It could have been so much worse. I didn't post for the sympathy vote, only to pull people up a bit as the weather improves, in the Northern Hemisphere at least.

I don't put my bike away for the winter but many do, and we're out of practice as a result. A lapse of concentration and you're staring at the sky, or polystrene ceiling tiles and taupe walls with a background smell of antiseptic!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:02 am

Really sorry, Alan.

Even intense concentration can't always account for black ice or diesel unless the light's shining on it in the right direction.
Glad you're not badly injured and I hope the bike's repaired quickly.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 am

Alan
Thank you for sharing your story and the good advice. We all know that we need to keep our attention focused on our riding and hearing your experience will be a safety "heads up" reminder for us. As painful and costly as it was, I'm glad that the result of your spill wasn't any worse. Be safe.
Dave
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 am

Alan, I'm glad to hear your OK.

Did almost the same thing when the clutch let go on a tight, slow, turn in a parking lot. People had to pick the scooter off my right leg. Yes, I was pined down and it almost broke my leg.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Alan,

Sorry to hear of your accident but am glad you are OK. Slippery roads can really be tough to ride on. Hope your SWing can be either fixed or repaired. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:46 pm

JeffR:
How do you like the Metzler tires so far? Any change in your feelings about them?
Back to top Go down
AlanRogers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AlanRogers

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm

JeffR wrote:
Hope your SWing can be either fixed or repaired.
Thanks for the kind words from everyone. The stead will be fixed next week; the insurance is picking up (most of) the tab!
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Alan
That is very good news!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm

AlanRogers wrote:
Last Thursday morning was very cold in South East England and, following the 'extreme weather' we enjoyed over the winter, the roads are in an appalling state.

At 08:15 on said morning, a cold tyre met some frost/ice/moss/diesel and in the blink of an eye, both rider and stead are sliding down the road, wheels and feet spinning worthlessly in the air.

I am glad you were ok.

Did you get a chance to closely checkout the specific road condition??

If frost/ice then temperature would resolve.

If moss then that would help to know for when conditions are wet or even slightly damp the next time. I have one of these near my house in an underwater bridge where the majority of the water is designed to flow over the bridge .. if water is low a small amount will flow under the bridge. I avoid that bridge when the water is going over because of the wet moss/slime can make the crossing dangerous. I still have to be careful with no water over the bridge and damp conditions.

If diesel then is then is there a way to notify the authorities to protect other riders??

AlanRogers wrote:
I got away with a broken finger and a
bruised calf but the bike's scraped up to the tune of £2,000 in panels,
bent bits of metal and labour.

Will the broken finger prevent you from riding the SWing ... after it is repaired??
Back to top Go down
AlanRogers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AlanRogers

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:58 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Did you get a chance to closely checkout the specific road condition? If frost/ice then temperature would resolve.
I went back later the same day and there was no sign of where I'd skidded, only where I'd slid down the road. I can only think therefore that it was black ice, which is hard to prove.

honda_silver wrote:
Will the broken finger prevent you from riding the SWing ... after it is repaired?
Most definitely not! I got back on and rode it to my appointment immediately after but I didn't know I'd broken the finger then. I've still ridden it since, careful not to use that finger, to get the repair estimate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surrey Lanes & Minor Off   Surrey Lanes & Minor Off I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surrey Lanes & Minor Off
Page 1 of 1