Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Introduction. Paul Sweeney

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
paul@sweeneys.com.au
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-01-24

Introduction. Paul Sweeney Empty
PostSubject: Introduction. Paul Sweeney   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 5:09 am

Hi Everyone,
Thank you to admin for accepting me to the site and hello to all members.
Long time rider of motorcycles and scooters but first time on a Maxi. I live on the Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria Australia.
I have had a SilverWing for just over a month. 2007 with 28,000kms. I believe well maintained.
I would be appreciative any guidance and knowledge on a series of topics please.
1. Body work is noisy at low speed. Rattles and shakes. I can see push pins or screws are missing. Is this a feature of the bike? What fixes are known?
2. Is there amongst members a preferred top box brand/model that can be recommended?
3. Seat gas stay. Is it common for it to fail? What is the best replacement alternative?
4. Fuel consumption. What should I expect? It appears to be not much better than my Honda H-RV car, which sits at 6.7l per 100kms.
5. Any other titbits of common or frequent experience please?

Happy riding to all and in anticipation of any and all responses, thank you motorcycle
Best wishes from Australia.
Paul
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Introduction. Paul Sweeney   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 6:24 am

Welcome Paul! Enjoy your Silver Wing. As to your questions my advice would be to separate them and ask them in the proper place, not Introductions. Also feel free to use the Search feature as I am sure some of these have already been addressed!

Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Introduction. Paul Sweeney   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 6:42 am

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum from the UK.
Your first port of call should be Index/Honda Silverwing section for all mods or problems.
Yes the plastics underside can make an annoying buzzing/rattling sounds at low rpms, best treated with pipe wrap foam and zip ties lol.
My 09 Swing has given up on the gas stay, I find it easier to use by just removing it, have a small prop should I need to hold it open.

Lovely to have you on board, if you don't ask, you won't learn!

Be safe, be seen!

Burgman an 400
Swing fjs 600

johnC.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Introduction. Paul Sweeney   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 1:17 pm

Welcome Paul. What you're experiencing is my introduction to my SW.

There are some rattles and squeaks which you'll probably get used to but my SW had lots of clips and screws missing when I bought mine. It also had clutch issues but I confess it had been neglected, after all, it was old.

As I began to 'know' my SW, mainly due to the benefit of this forum, I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. As I worked my way around the SW I was able to fix lots of bits and pieces which were causing annoyance with rattles etc. I'm not suggesting your SW has been neglected but it's worth looking.

I simply replaced the gas strut for the seat, which was no big expense and after replacing all the clips and screws she rides nice and smooth. If you try some searches on the forum I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff to help. Ditto JohnyC, never be afraid to ask. Enjoy the forum.
Back to top Go down
paul@sweeneys.com.au
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Thank you.   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 3:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies, appreciate the guidance and looking forward to frequent communications.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Introduction. Paul Sweeney   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 5:01 pm

Welcome aboard the board Paul. Is your SWing a 600cc? ABS or not? Usually helps with members providing answers. My recommendation is to do two things First, get your hands on a Factory Service Manual.  Good, affordable used ones can be found on Kijiji, CraigsList and eBay type sites.  The odd one even comes up for sale on this board.

Second, make friends with the Search function at the top left.  It will soon become one of your best friends here. Every question and topic you raised has been discussed at lenth at some point or another.  There's some really good info in past threads.

1. Rattling tupperware (bodywork) -  Replace missing fastening bits and proceed as needed
2. GIVI, Kappa, Shad and Bestem are amongst the most popular case brands.  There are several other good brands too.
3. The OEM seat struts aren't that great.  There are some decent threads regarding upgraded replacement gas struts.
4. I average around 4.5l/100km. fuel consumption. Driving style is usually civil to spirited when the right roads present themselves and the mood strikes.  Other's fuel mileages may and do differ.
5. Other insights ... see my "Search" suggestion above.

Glad to have you EnBoard Paul!
Back to top Go down
paul@sweeneys.com.au
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Much appreciated.   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 6:20 pm

I am getting very useful guidance on how to use the site. Again, many thanks.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduction. Paul Sweeney   Introduction. Paul Sweeney I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduction. Paul Sweeney
Page 1 of 1