Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 3:04 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 1:10 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 10:42 am

» checking the oil
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:13 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:08 am

» LF extended back rest
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:47 pm

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 pm

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:28 pm

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?

Go down 
+2
Mech 1 twa
The Dude
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-21

Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? Empty
PostSubject: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 3:24 am

I was admiring.the handsome, new 2022 Kymco AK550 scoot and came across this photo. 

Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? 9ab1_l10
Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? A664_l10
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 4:16 am

Maybe?  Depends on enforcement of current laws.  It's not only noise but some mufflers have catalytic converters in there and removing them is a 50-state issue.  It's coming to our Rider world sooner or later. Current policies will just ban us as unsafe, risky and deadly risk to human life.  Ride On. Sad
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 5:47 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Maybe?  Depends on enforcement of current laws.  It's not only noise but some mufflers have catalytic converters in there and removing them is a 50-state issue.  It's coming to our Rider world sooner or later. Current policies will just ban us as unsafe, risky and deadly risk to human life.  Ride On. Sad

Yes, apparently, there have been Federal laws out for a while now. Enforcement is another issue all altogether. Most Silver Wings would be grandfathered in, as they are discontinued.

But I have been looking and shopping. There really is no answer to the Silver Wing. Burgman's are too fat and heavy, BMW's have similar issues. Yamaha doesn't want to play. Kymco's are great, but spendy and VERY hard to find.

Even if you spend the $10K, outside a few creature comforts and some flashy LEDs, it BARELY eclipses an FSC600, that can be had for $3k.

I guess the great thing for us, is that Honda made a vehicle that is fairly bullet, AND idiot proof. I only wish they would make more.

It's sleek, it's capable, and due to the fact they are all now second hand, it's amazingly affordable. Silver Wing really has no equal. JMHO
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 11:35 am

The latest generation of 300cc to 400cc maxis are far more interesting and better equipped than the two main large capacity maxi scooters that were once considered must haves for maxi riders over here including myself.

I've owned and toured on both the Silver Wing and the 650 Burgman, and a demo ride on the BMW C650 GT had me mentally listing it's flaws and crossing it of my replacement list within the first few miles of riding it. Which was disappointing as there's a very good BMW Motorrad dealership a few miles from my home.

The good things about downsizing to a current 300 to 400 model are you're still getting the same performance of a Silver Wing without the extra weight. Plus it's from a Euro 4 or Euro 5 engine that was designed to run happily and efficiently on ethanol fuel.

With the added bonus of all these various bits and pieces that it's currently flavour of the month to try and retro fit to Silver Wings (LED lights, hazard lights, passing switch etc) are standard fit on all these models along with a load of other features.

As for aftermarket exhausts, over here you can buy a new or used Yamaha maxi scooter from a UK dealer, and pay extra to ride it away fitted with an Akrapovič exhaust off the official Yamaha accessories list.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 1:52 pm

I have never really understood the "need for noise". Otherwise I would jump on a H-D haha. My feeling is no matter what mods one does to a Silver Wing it will NEVER be a Hayabusa... So if putting on a new exhaust gives you 5 HP and floats your boat, then fine go for it. For me the stock unit does very nicely.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 9:15 pm

We used to have vehicle noise restrictions here in the UK. Back in the 70's a mate of mine put a raw, curved, unbaffled downpipe on his Honda CG125, what a racket! He got pulled over very soon and got a ticket. I suspect the Police don't have the means to deal with such trivia these days. The manufacturers have managed to find some sort of loophole in the law to allow excessive vehicle noise; some manufactured and some home made.

Although I'm not a fan of loud bikes I once saw a nicely embroidered badge on the back of the jacket of a guy in front of me which read, 'LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES'.

I kind of get it but whenever a loud bike appears from nowhere alongside me when I'm driving, I find it more alarming than alerting. Shocked
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 10:21 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
We used to have vehicle noise restrictions here in the UK. Back in the 70's a mate of mine put a raw, curved, unbaffled downpipe on his Honda CG125, what a racket! He got pulled over very soon and got a ticket. I suspect the Police don't have the means to deal with such trivia these days. The manufacturers have managed to find some sort of loophole in the law to allow excessive vehicle noise; some manufactured and some home made.

Although I'm not a fan of loud bikes I once saw a nicely embroidered badge on the back of the jacket of a guy in front of me which read, 'LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES'.

I kind of get it but whenever a loud bike appears from nowhere alongside me when I'm driving, I find it more alarming than alerting. Shocked

I will admit, as I have mostly driven convertibles over the last 10 years, sometimes those loud bikes have scared the bejesus out of me! What a Face
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 10:29 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
I have never really understood the "need for noise". Otherwise I would jump on a H-D haha. My feeling is no matter what mods one does to a Silver Wing it will NEVER be a Hayabusa... So if putting on a new exhaust gives you 5 HP and floats your boat, then fine go for it. For me the stock unit does very nicely.

I do love the rumble of a nicely equipped HD. But to me, and most serious drivers, there is a BIG difference between a quality tuned exhaust and just plain LOUD (= obnoxious). What a Face

All those crappy little cars these kids slap a fart can on are just ridiculous! If it doesn't attract a potential mate, what good is it anyway? Razz
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2022 10:22 pm

The 80 db limit is not exactly quiet. A loud alarm clock is about 80db. 🤔
Back to top Go down
sharker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sharker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: meets emissions   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 2:13 pm

I installed a Leo Vince from Italy a number of years ago. It has a tapping for the O2 sensor and just purrs. If you must have noise, remove the baffle at the end and voila!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?   Are custom exhausts a thing of the past? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are custom exhausts a thing of the past?
Page 1 of 1