Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
"Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

"Passing" lights switch?

Go down 
+7
Meldrew
steve_h80
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
sonuvabug
Terry Smith
ron1999
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-02-12

"Passing" lights switch? Empty
PostSubject: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 5:33 pm

I've posted a similar post on the SilverWing FB group, but i guess here is where the real experts are:

So ever since i got my Wing here in the US i felt like something is missing on my left hand controls.
A short search today made me realize that the US version of the Wing was not only missing the factory 12v socket in the glove-box, but also the "Passing" light switch on the left hand switched stock.

For anyone who's not familiar with the "Passing" light, this has the same function like the blinking high beams on a car - it toggles high and normal beams momentarily (vs. the top switch the toggles them permanently)

Anyone here has any expirience with retrofitting a non-US lights switch stock on a US Wing?

Attached is a picture of a European lights stock with the said "Passing" light switch"Passing" lights switch? Pfa10
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 6:11 pm

I'm a big fan of those passing lights in that particular location by my forefinger. Newer bike seem to have relocated it to the hi/lo rocker being a push down from the lo position, which is not as intuitive (or I'm just set in my ways).

There is one extra wire in the Euro-style 9P wiring block being Bl/R which is battery power arriving. Then a link across to the Bu wire from the hi/lo switch presumably within the switch itself). Seems to me if you bought the Euro passing switch you would need to find a source of battery power (and tapping into the power to the horn Bl/Br seems easy) to feed into the extra passing switch, and then I assume the connection to the Bu wire of the Hi is within the Euro switch block.

I've no real idea why the pass light requires its own power feed and why it does not just use the Bu/W feed to the hi/lo switch, maybe to do with current drain or redundancy.

"Passing" lights switch? Uspass10
"Passing" lights switch? Europa10
Back to top Go down
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 6:42 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Also - just an FYI
My '06 Silver Wing 400 back home did have the "passing" light switch
My current '12 600 Wing doesn't
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 6:44 pm

In addition to the two items listed above, the North American models are also missing the 4-way hazard lights.  Our Burgman 400 has them and they are useful in a variety of situations.

For passing/headlight modulation, I press the starter switch.  Depressing it turns the low beam light off.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 6:53 pm

No experience with that Passing Switch (Flash to Pass) though I’ve seen mention of it on my FSC wiring diagrams. But I’ve always keyed the Start switch when I’m about to pass. It kills the headlight momentarily and so gives a good flash to the vehicle ahead. That is assuming you are not also running an array of LED aux lights which would render the Honda headlight kinda useless.

BTW The UK 2001 FJS models have a separate Off-Lo-High headlight switch in the blank spot on the right side switch.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 7:03 pm

Our 2016 Burgman 400 also has a separate flash to pass switch.  So did our 2004 Burgy 400.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 8:14 pm

Likely just anger a US driver they don't understand or care if you want to pass. They won't move over and will speed up when you try to pass. My 2$.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 8:20 pm

The idea of pushing the starter switch on a running engine gives me the heebie jeebies, but I suppose all that happens is the starter engine/gears will spin, the starter clutch will be disengaged.

"Passing" light is probably a bit of a misnomer; it is useful for getting people's attention for other circumstances though.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 8:33 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Likely just anger a US driver they don't understand or care if you want to pass. They won't move over and will speed up when you try to pass.  My 2$.
I actually never use it for passing for the above reasons.  

I just use it for conspicuity purposes when I think the oncoming vehicle doesn't see me.  Or when signaling a long truck it's OK to cut in ahead of me in the event of a disappearing lane (my area's favourite road design flaw).
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 8:50 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
The idea of pushing the starter switch on a running engine gives me the heebie jeebies, but I suppose all that happens is the starter engine/gears will spin, the starter clutch will be disengaged.

"Passing" light is probably a bit of a misnomer; it is useful for getting people's attention for other circumstances though.

The starter motor won’t engage because the left brake / start switch isn’t engaged. However if you’ve bypassed that start switch then you’re eff’d.
Back to top Go down
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 9:00 pm

Terry Smith wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
On my GS the starter will engage regardless of the brake lever, so it's not a habbit i want or can allow myself to develop.

Also same for the "passing" it is used for far more than just passing - warning other drivers, getting noticed or acknowledge you notice something...
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 am

I'm curious as to why US models don't have a flasher, or charging socket for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 5:55 am

steve_h80 wrote:
I'm curious as to why US models don't have a flasher, or charging socket for that matter.

It's because for whatever reason North America got the FSC version of the Silver Wing, and the UK and Europe the FJS version.

Apart from the passing switch and 12v socket, the FSC Silver Wing doesn't have the H.I.S.S. key operated immobiliser either.

Who really uses the passing switch for it's real purpose anyway, it's mainly used over here to flash a hello to oncoming riders instead of waving. Or to a motorist to signal that you're giving them priority. A practice I believe is discouraged by road safety groups.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 7:59 am

For what it's worth here's how my pass light switch works:

With 'lights off', the switch operates the high and low beams together.

With 'lights on', it operates the high beam without affecting the low beam. thumbs up

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 11:01 am

Do all the UK or Euro FJS models have the Flash to Pass switch? Or was it only a feature on the 2001 FJS with the headlight switch on the throttle side switches?
Back to top Go down
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 11:18 am

My '06 had it, my friend's 08' has it - i believe it's all non-US that has that feature.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 am

My pass switch is on the left side switch assembly, forefinger action. On the right side switch assembly is the main light switch which goes from 'Off'....'Sidelights'.....Headlight. Three position switch.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 12:27 pm

ron1999 wrote:
My '06 had it, my friend's 08' has it - i believe it's all non-US that has that feature.

Hmm… Then how to get one of those pass switches over here? Without spending a bloody fortune.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 1:22 pm

If you've managed to get by all these years riding a Silver Wing without one, why do you need one now?

Just between you and me Timothy, have a look on eBay uk, there's a complete left handlebar Silver Wing switch unit for sale complete with passing switch for £24.95 or $31.44 plus postage.

Don't delay or someone else will read this and buy it.   Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 1:24 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
ron1999 wrote:

Hmm… Then how to get one of those pass switches over here? Without spending a bloody fortune.

My thoughts exactly.

I tried looking for non-US parts, problem is the the SW is not that common...
It looks like same year's CBR's and SilverWing 125cc shared the same controls, but the end connectors for the wire loom is different.

To make things even worse, it also looks like on the SilverWing they change end connectors at some point as well.

the way i see it - an adaptation will be inevitable, just dont know yet from which model and what to.

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 2:04 pm

It is curious regarding different uses of the pass switch between nations. As Meldrew said, here in the UK it's generally used to give another vehicle priority but it has become a dangerous practice, particularly with novice drivers, and it is not favoured by the authorities. In heavy traffic it can be confusing and lead to accidents.

If I want a vehicle to be more aware of my presence, I just flick the Hi Beam switch. I hardly ever do that either. However, if you want one, who am I to argue?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 2:25 pm

FWIW - both our 2004 and 2016 Burgman 400 left hand module have switches with the flash button on the back (for forefinger use).  The module also has the horn (bottom), left-right turn indicator switch (above horn switch) and high/low beam switch on top.

Last edited by sonuvabug on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected switch functions)
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 2:46 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
FWIW - both our 2004 and 2016 Burgman 400 left hand module have switches with the flash button on the back (for forefinger use).  The module also has the horn (bottom), 4-way hazards (above horn switch) and high/low beam switch on top.  Only handy if you're looking to add the 4-way hazard function.

Oh yes! 4-way hazard switch as integral to the left switch module. Any chance you could scare up a part # for that switch module for me? I assume that the Burgys handlebars are the same diameter as Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 3:15 pm

I believe they are both 7/8" diameter handlebars Tim.  Here's an eBay link to a used part that should get you pointed in the right direction.  I looked at their pics and it appears to be the same switch as is on our 2016 Burgman 400. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200484596813?_ul=IN

For future reference when this link no longer works, the switch is called the "left handlebar switch" and the unconfirmed Suzuki Part number is 1392-05-0032

I also found another reference which was Suzuki "switch assy handle lh" part number 37400-14G61-000

Last edited by sonuvabug on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : NOTE: the 4-way hazard switch is on the right side assembly!)
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 3:59 pm

" Any chance you could scare up a part # for that switch module for me? "

Suzuki Burgman parts are ridiculously $$$, here's Ron Ayers discount price, you can find them cheaper used on ebay. BTW the "Hazard Switch" is on the RH switch assy on my 2014 Burgman, maybe Canada is different  Question

SWITCH ASSY, HANDLE, LH 37400-14G61 Retail Price: $189.20 Your Price: $149.85

"Passing" lights switch? Burg1910
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 5:55 pm

Well, gulp. No doubt I misunderstood or misstated. Yeah, what I really need is a 4-way Hazard switch. As much as it would be intriguing to have a Passing switch, a 4-way hazard switch will be much more practical. I’ve had the makings of a 4-way flasher circuit for years. I just never wanted to drill holes to mount a switch —mainly because I’d inevitably decide on a better location after the fact. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

So that’d be a Burgman 400 right side switch module then. Hopefully a Silverwing throttle tube will fit.

Either of you fine gentlemen have a part# for that item?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 7:54 pm

Also from Ron Ayers website...

SWITCH ASSY, HANDLE, RH 37200-14G71 Retail Price: $156.33 Your Price: $126.62

A quick look at both bikes throttle set-up, tells me is not a bolt on mod, cables attach differently, etc.
maybe a stand alone switch, etc., would be better, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 8:16 pm

Hazard switch would be nice. Yamaha FJR has a separate switch assy. but would require cutting a hole in panel somewhere.  Don't know if it's possible to wire it but maybe. A few on EBAY.  I could take a few detailed photos from 2005 service manual of wire diagrams."Passing" lights switch? Switch10
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 8:17 pm

zrx212 wrote:
Also from Ron Ayers website...

SWITCH ASSY, HANDLE, RH 37200-14G71 Retail Price: $156.33 Your Price: $126.62

A quick look at both bikes throttle set-up, tells me is not a bolt on mod, cables attach differently, etc.
maybe a stand alone switch, etc., would be better, IMO.

Aw man, that’s discouraging.

I’ve been wrestling with where to mount a stand alone switch for years. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 8:57 pm

I know we are a little off topic but there's a Hazard lights Mod kit,

https://www.customdynamics.com/metric-4-way-hazard-kit

I probably have enough components in my box of miscellaneous electrical spares to DIY, but this kit is fairly good if you start from scratch or check instructions for DIY ideas.

I know there's a passing light mod they do to Harley's, will research soon , WKYP.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 9:08 pm

" I’ve been wrestling with where to mount a stand alone switch for years. Any suggestions? "

It really depends if switch is waterproof or not, you really want it within quick reach of your fingers for emergency use IMO.

Do a search for " auxiliary switch for motorcycle " plenty options/price.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 4:10 am

I previously gave eBay UK a mention, and again there's loads of cheapo motorcycle hazard light switches on sale there.

Don't know where to locate one? How about on the base of the mirror stem, there's a couple of switches for sale where you can do that.

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 2:05 pm

How about a foot switch?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 7:05 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
How about a foot switch?

Actually a great idea for a passing light, like old cars hi/low beam switch, you could mount a momentary/spring loaded switch, kinda recessed/flush under rubber floor mat, in area you don't use a lot like very top corner, etc. It keeps your hands free to cover brakes, in case you have to react to reason your flashing headlight Shocked IAC(In Any Case) wrote down on my list of possible mods cheers

The hazard is better on LH handlebar, easier to tap into wires, etc.

BTW use relays and diode protected grounds, etc to activate passing light added circuit, if this sounds like "A foreign language", maybe get help Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 pm

1970's and before something cars with that push high beam switch on floor. I'm not sure hiding that under a floor mat is the best option.   Better on bar area less confusing.  

I'm mounting some Green lasers on a push switch that will get your attention even in bright sunlight. Smile
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 9:55 am

"I'm mounting some Green lasers on a push switch"

After glancing at your cloud avatar for roughly the 200th time and wondering, "What does that mean?" I must ask: What does that mean?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 1:06 pm

Delray....it depends which way you look at it What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 8:44 pm

One of life's existential questions? The great unknown the infinite and unlimited with no boundaries.

Nah just a good day of riding and got lucky enough to take that photo.

Life is short a little humor never hurts.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 4:36 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
sonuvabug wrote:
FWIW - both our 2004 and 2016 Burgman 400 left hand module have switches with the flash button on the back (for forefinger use).  The module also has the horn (bottom), 4-way hazards (above horn switch) and high/low beam switch on top.  Only handy if you're looking to add the 4-way hazard function.

Oh yes! 4-way hazard switch as integral to the left switch module. Any chance you could scare up a part # for that switch module for me? I assume that the Burgys handlebars are the same diameter as Silverwing.

Tim,
Awhile ago I posted "LED FLASHER INSTALLATION" about installing an LED flasher in the right glove box. It has three different flashing patterns, including a 4-way. I wanted to be able to use LEDs and have it independent from the bike's ignition so can be used without all the lights on. It is not meant to be activated while riding. I learnt of this from DennisB. I eventually replaced all the connectors. The wire kept breaking at the connectors.

Admin edit: Here’s the link to that post. https://www.silverwing600.com/t9600-led-flasher-installation?highlight=LED+Flasher
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Passing" lights switch?   "Passing" lights switch? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Passing" lights switch?
Page 1 of 1