Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
 south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

south arizona rider

Go down 
+3
sonuvabug
GHM-PM
dgratto
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2022-04-02

south arizona rider Empty
PostSubject: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2022 6:34 pm

i live in coolidge and have been on my cycles for 8 yrs.
i now own a 2010 silverwing with only 17k miles,only thing i have modified is what i use for oil, gear fluid and grease. i have had her for 2 yrs already. just now had my first issue. other then how hard it is to find parts or tires. i love this scooter lol.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2022 7:19 am

Welcome! I know Coolidge well...love the Ruins! Best of luck with your Wing, as to parts I use:

https://www.partzilla.com/

or Bike Bandit in San Diego. I am sure others will suggest more too. Most everything will have to be ordered online as dealerships seldom carry scooter related parts.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2022 10:33 am

Welcome aboard the board dgratto!
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2022 1:31 pm

thanks!
i have full parts catalog for my silverwing already ,,but these sweet aftermarket items, i keep seeing are what im interested in! those backrests for the front and back seat and those side compartments and rear trunk are a must for distance travels....i am also working on a skateboard rack for my silverwiing...if anyone has places for aftermarket items i would appreciate the info...
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2022 1:49 pm

dgratto wrote:
... snipped ... those side compartments and rear trunk are a must for distance travels ... if anyone has places for aftermarket items i would appreciate the info ...

If you want to add rear, side cases from GIVI (E22) or KAPPA (GIVI's sister company), then these mounting racks are nice additions.  It takes a while to get them but they are well made and worth the wait.  I believe they are the only supplier of these mounting racks that remain but I could be wrong on this.

Your alternative is to secure any of the classic (not 35N series) GIVI mounting racks for any bike and have a metal fabricator re-work them to your needs.  I had to do this for our Burgman AN400 and they turned out well.    

https://www.fehling.de/index.php?content=preise&markenid=6&lang=eng
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 6:54 pm

awesome info thank you !
in my 2 yrs of having the silverwing i have only ran across 1 other person on one while i was driving.
are there any websites or other places for silverwing riders?
seems like we are far and few between.
out here in coolidge is riders with bikes i could never afford. Nobody can really help me in area of my bike accessories or mechanics heck most didnt even realize honda made scooters lol.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 7:08 pm

There are a couple of FB Silverwing forums. Silverwing 582cc, and Silverwing 600 IIRC.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 4:46 am

sonuvabug wrote:
dgratto wrote:
... snipped ... those side compartments and rear trunk are a must for distance travels ... if anyone has places for aftermarket items i would appreciate the info ...

If you want to add rear, side cases from GIVI (E22) or KAPPA (GIVI's sister company), then these mounting racks are nice additions.  It takes a while to get them but they are well made and worth the wait.  I believe they are the only supplier of these mounting racks that remain but I could be wrong on this.

Your alternative is to secure any of the classic (not 35N series) GIVI mounting racks for any bike and have a metal fabricator re-work them to your needs.  I had to do this for our Burgman AN400 and they turned out well.    

It's fine recommending accessories for the Silver Wing, and so much better if they're accessories you've actually purchased and used not just read about. I poke around on German motorcycle accessories websites on an almost daily basis, and know that Fehling haven't listed luggage side rails for the FJS (FSC) Silver Wing for a long time.

The Siilver Wing 600 luggage rails currently listed on their website are for the 2010 onwards SW-T Silver Wing 600 only, the updated variant of the Silver Wing that was never imported into North America or the UK.

They may fit the older FSC/FJS models, they may not. Are there any posts on here from FSC/FJS Silver Wing owners that have in the past bought a $200 plus set of Fehling luggage rails to use with a pair of Givi E22 panniers?

My 2018 Forza 300 looks almost identical to the 2021 Forza 350, and I originally thought my Givi tall screen and rear rack would fit straight on the 350 and maybe they do. Yet Givi list a different tall screen number and different rear rack design for the 350.

Top loading Givi E22 panniers aren't really a practical size and I doubt very much if Givi had maxi scooter usage in mind when they designed them.

Givi have side rails for a wide range of small and mid capacity motorcycles, and the E22 panniers perfectly compliment them.

In fact if you have one of the motorcycles that Givi make those side rails for, you can order both side rails and E22 panniers together as a package.

My own view is it’s much simpler purchase and fit a Monokey rear rack to the Silver Wing luggage plate to take a large 50 litres plus Givi Monokey top box. This is the practical solution for both everyday use and touring. With the added bonus that both rear rack and top box can be removed and fitted to your next maxi scooter.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 10:51 am

dgratto, welcome to this forum. I too live in Arizona in Tucson and have a 2004 Silverwing with 15,000 miles and a top box gotten from a neighbor who has a Suzuki 1250 Bandit. It's a cheap unit with mounting rack that I mounted on my scoot with a little alteration. I have never used the top box but have it in case. Enjoy your ride...Al
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Fehling Side Racks for Mounting Cases    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 12:24 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Quote :

... snipped ... It's fine recommending accessories for the Silver Wing, and so much better if they're accessories you've actually purchased and used not just read about. I poke around on German motorcycle accessories websites on an almost daily basis, and know that Fehling haven't listed luggage side rails for the FJS (FSC) Silver Wing for a long time.

The Siilver Wing 600 luggage rails currently listed on their website are for the 2010 onwards SW-T Silver Wing 600 only, the updated variant of the Silver Wing that was never imported into North America or the UK.

They may fit the older FSC/FJS models, they may not. Are there any posts on here from FSC/FJS Silver Wing owners that have in the past bought a $200 plus set of Fehling luggage rails to use with a pair of Givi E22 panniers?

WOW, you really do go off on things based on your personal opinions without knowing the facts don't you!  So sad.

1) The Fehling side rack case mounts, currently listed as PN# 7811 ST HO SWT 400/600 for the SW-T SWing, DO fit the pre-2010 Silver Wing FSC600's perfectly.  When I bought these racks in April 2020, I corresponded directly with Joachim & Gabi Fehling (company owners) to confirm this.  I also asked them (after I successfully mounted their racks to my own '09 SWing) to update their website listing which remains incomplete.  

Based on my buying and installing experience, their racks should fit all years of Silver Wings including those from 2002 to 2009.  Not really surprising as the changes Honda made to the SW over the years and beyond 2009 were mostly tweaks and refreshes as opposed to any major chassis redesigns. 

In other words, the chassis fastening points used by these Fehling racks appear to have remained unchanged throughout the entire production run of the SWing 600 ... regardless of year or model designation. I can't speak to the SWing 400 model but I suspect, the same holds true with them. You'd need to confirm this.

2) Just because nobody has posted about using this set-up on their pre-2010 SWing on this, or other websites, doesn't mean squat.  Again for the record, the Fehling side rack setup I purchased in April 2020 for my 2009 Honda Silver Wing FSC600 fit and work perfectly out of the box.  Installation is eazy peazy.    

I did not post anything about it here or anywhere else at the time I bought and installed my own.  The reason is I get tired of the criticizing naysayers that talk out of their exhaust hole about a product, accessory or setup being good or not etc. based on their own, uninformed, myopic biases

... when ... 

they themselves either haven't personally tried or experienced whatever they are blathering on about ... or ... they tried something and they personally didn't like "it", therefore concluding "it" is not worthwhile and the rest of the world shouldn't like "it" either based on their say-so. 

3) After trying various side case combinations courtesy of my riding friends with various GIVI case models to lend me, I matched my Fehling rack set-up with a pair of GIVI E21 top loading side cases.  They are an ideal size and match for the SWing generally and my needs specifically.  The Fehling racks work equally well with Givi's E22 side cases which I also own but use on one of our other machines (another maxi-scooter).  

Should I wonder what GIVI might say about us using their E21/22 cases on our scooters other than thanks for your business and we're glad they work for your needs?!  Again to my tastes and from an aesthetic standpoint, the newer E22 side cases are slightly better matched to the SWing's angular lines over the rounder E21 cases.  However, the E21's still look good and complement (note the correct word used here) my rounder E460 top case.

BTW - having top loading - side cases vs. side loading - side cases were important to us based on how we wanted the side cases to function for us.  We've watched too many bike riders spill half of their stuff out with side loading cases that we decided, it'll either be top loading hard side cases or nothing.  This really narrowed our side case choices.  We'd already tried soft, throw over panniers, which were top loading, but they really didn't work well for our needs. 

These Fehling racks work with pretty much with any of GIVI/Kappa's  Monolock or Monokey standard cases (except for the case specific racks like the V37 etc. -- be careful not to get caught up in that, non-compatible,  expensive trap).  These racks also work with other case brands but I can't tell you which ones because I do not know for sure.

Initially I tried GIVI's E41 top loading side cases on my SWing and I really wanted them to look good and work well.  However, for my tastes and needs, visually  and functionally they were too big.  I can also use one of our removable E460 or V46 top cases when on an extended tour that requires more gear carrying capacity. 

Finally, it was a fairly spendy proposition to import these racks into Canada from Germany.  In the end, I'm glad I did and they filled the need I had perfectly.  Adding these racks are in the top three of modifications I've made in my 15+ years of Silver Wing ownership ... again IMO.  

dgratto - happy to answer any questions or help you in any way I can.  Feel free to PM me if you prefer.
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 12:37 am

what other mods are there other then racks and boxes and seat rests ? engine mods? maybe other areas ? i am making my own rack so i can take my skateboard with me when i ride, i am using one for a moutain bike and having it modified for the S wing. so it hangs off the rear just above the license plate..or to the right side above the muffler im not sure both areas have just enough space. always a work in progress.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 8:50 am

dgratto wrote:
... snipped ... what other mods are there other then racks and boxes and seat rests ? 

dgratto, you are only limited by your imagination, physics and your wallet.  For instance, performance mods include engine mapping (via a Power Commander), upgraded exhaust, tinkering with the CVT assembly, weights & springs, suspension etc. 

Cosmetic mods including adding tupperware from overseas (search Dan Spevak on this site), custom paint and striping and LED accent lighting.

Functional mods like custom seats, adding luggage capacity, auxiliary lighting (for conspicuity and visibility), upgrading existing bulbs, adding highway pegs, changing windscreens and adding wind deflectors.

Spend some time searching different forums and sub-forums on this site and you'll see that the world is your oyster.  Note there is an Accessories and Modifications sub-forum ... might be a good place to start your research.
Back to top Go down
dgratto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 5:38 pm

anyone go on the bike scenic rides ? i dont do the fb thing but i will still look for them and see if they got info when i habe time, are there groups that meet and ride already? i see some in my area but i would be only s-wing rider. i usually take my kid on scenic rides and take the telescope with us in case we end up on a night ride. i am planning a road trip to show my kid the backroads of az taking some of the winding roads we have around wickenburg ,payson ,Sedona, strawberry, tortilla flats.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 9:11 pm

dgratto wrote:
anyone go on the bike scenic rides ? i dont do the fb thing but i will still look for them and see if they got info when i habe time, are there groups that meet and ride already? i see some in my area but i would be only s-wing rider. i usually take my kid on scenic rides and take the telescope with us in case we end up on a night ride. i am planning a road trip to show my kid the backroads of az taking some of the winding roads we have around wickenburg ,payson ,Sedona, strawberry, tortilla flats.

Good rides, one of my favorites is out of Superior up through Queen Creek Canyon and past Oak Flats.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2022 9:22 am

There are a number of maxi-scooter riders based out of AZ on  www.burgmanusa.com You might want to head over there and check things out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: south arizona rider    south arizona rider I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

south arizona rider
Page 1 of 1