Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
OldGeezer-69
6 posters
AuthorMessage
OldGeezer-69
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldGeezer-69

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2021-08-27

Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts Empty
PostSubject: Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2021 6:47 am

Hello Everybody, OldGeezer-69, here,
My Introduction/story/Bio is down below,
My questions I moved up here, to the TOP, so they would not get lost in the mix.
- - - - - - -
1/ Can you stand on those running boards (If Needed), like you would on regular MC foot pegs?

2/ Has anyone on an "S.W." done, - - -  "SLOW" riding \ "U" turn \ Sharp Left-Right turns \ Figure "8's" ETC,--- in prep for taking the MC license test?
I am encountering lots of "Clutch Friction Disk" --- SMELL ---while attempting slow speed maneuvers.
Since it does not have a "WET" clutch,-- Perhaps all that info about working in the "FRICTION ZONE" [McRider, Palladino ETC] should not even be attempted??

3/ This "Q" for older RETURNING riders.
I Never thought that MC riding was a "Perishable Skill". Im my case, it appears to be so. I am VERY\VERY rusty on all the "SLOW SPEED" maneuvers.
I currently need a football field for left & right turns. I would not dare to attempt a "U" turn at this point, and Yeah!,--It's not the easiest bike to "Duck Walk", so i absolutely must improve.
Have any of you returning riders, encountered this. If so any advise on same??

4/ Do you folks, use a fuel stabilizer, when putting the SW away for the winter, or is there any benefit in that??

*****APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE IF THESE TOPICS ARE COVERED IN OTHER POSTS*****
- - - - - -

OldGeezer-69, Bio \ Story:-
I'm a former motorcycle rider from the 70s. I had a Honda CB125 from 1974 to 1978 and put up about 30,000 miles on it.
It was my daily driver, 365 days a year (could not afford a car at that time).

My handle here just indicates my age. There was a time when 69 had a special significance in my life.
Back then I was Younger and the number 69 had nothing to do with my age.
On many occasions on my 125, I would look down at the speedo while traveling flat out, and see that needle stuck at 69.
It was a major goal of mine at that time to hit 70 MPH or greater.
It did happen going down a hill, flat out over the bars and with my feet stretched all the way back onto the pillion pegs, and yes, the rev counter was Way north of 9K RPMs.
Even though I stopped riding in 77, the reliability of the Honda product, left an indelible mark on me.
All my 4 wheel chariots since, sport a Honda badge.

I was really glad to get my first car and be out of the harsh winter elements.
Never thought, I would even consider 2 wheel transportation again.
Anyway as I got older my brother, also a rider got back into bikes, ending up with the fabulous Triumph T100.
Yeah, back in the day, if you lusted after a Honda 500\4, 750\4, Commando 850, ---BUT--could not afford them.
The Triumph is the bike you would likely gravitate toward today [Definitely a 70's style Bike].
I was starting to get excited about bikes all over again.
I was all over the map regarding possible bikes -- the big Triumph and the Goldwing DCT, were high on my fantasy list, but the old adage -- "Champagne taste – Beer budget" applied, and I looked at other possibilities.
I never even heard the term "Maxi Scooter".
If I heard the word scooter,- I would immediately picture a "VESPA"

I found the whole Maxi scooter genre fascinating.
Wow, - - Storage \ Wind and Rain protection \ Belt drive \ Automatic Transmission \ And the ability to keep up with fast highway traffic.
Having had a Honda bike in the past, I looked at the "Forza 350" in the reviews.
It checked most of the boxes, oh, and I really liked the idea of Electric windshield.
But by all accounts, 75 - 85 mph is close to its limits and i need a little extra (For backup), -  to keep out of the way of the speeding lane Jumpers & Drifters. Then come to find out it's not available here anyway!

The FSC600 intrigued me, 2 full size helmets under the seat, Wind and Rain protection all round, and yeah I thought this was a little sister to the Goldwing DCT.
It could keep up with the local highway traffic, which runs high eighties, in certain stretches around here.

Long story short, found a "non" ABS version in really nice condition, it had just shy of 10 km Miles and cost a hair under $4K.
Only thing, I wish it had ABS, in case i ever had to make a high speed emergency stop.
I had planned to test drive it, but after sitting on it and feeling how heavy it was I decided not to risk dropping it. It was many-many times heavier than my old one 125.
I remember when mounting the 125, I used to lean it toward me at 45 Degrees, before swinging a leg over, -  just like i did when riding a bicycle.
You definitely can't do that with this one.

My Observations, Moving from an M.C. to a Scoot
Remembering back to the wear marks, i put on the put on the sides of the gas tank on my 125, I realize I was fully connected to the bike at 3 points.
1/ Butt on the Seat  
2/ knees gripping the gas tank
3/ Feet firmly planted on the foot pegs.
Such was the case, that I could literally take my hands off the bars [Throttle aside], similar to riding hands-free on a bicycle, if needed.
This left my hands & arms free to focus on steering.

With the tank option removed on the scoot, you're fully seated position [Seat & RunningBoards] -- now ALSO includes the handlebars, which are needed, - to maintain seating position - - as well as steering, (IE the bars are doing double duty).
To my old brain this is an added weirdness.
I also feel somewhat naked-Vulnerable on this Scoot, - without the tank.

This is just perspective from an "OLD"  newbie scooter rider, so experienced scooter riders may have no clue what I am talking about.
(No worries, my wife says exactly that -- all the time).
But, - it may reverberate with some who transitioned from motorcycle to scooter.
Again these are just observations of an "OLD" newbie scoot rider.
Feel free to comment.
Well,-- I guess that's more than enough rambling from this, Old Geezer.
Regards
OG-69, I-90/I-495s MetroWest Mass
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2021 9:26 am

Hello Geezer. Wow, what a great introduction. Welcome to the forum. 

As you become more comfortable with your Silverwing that low speed stuff will sort itself out. Yes, many of us here have done those low speed maneuvers. Hey, I even managed a tight U-turn Once.

And given that many of us here in the great megalopolis don't have access to non-ethanol fuel do add a fuel stabilizer when it’s nap time.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2021 10:13 am

My advice---do you have MC lic.?  Suggest MSF course on their bike.   SilverWing is not the easiest bike to ride----rear and maybe top heavy---transmission makes slow speed stuff not easy, even thought brakes are interconnected, dragging rear brake can act as balancing aide, it comes on first.  My SilverWing experience, near 100,000 miles on 2 new ones
Back to top Go down
bweighmaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2020-11-17

PostSubject: Old newbie   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2021 3:36 pm

I had the same qualms about a scooter , Found an 09 SW with the trike kit . 25,000 mi. Garage kept , old lady owned , dealer serviced for $ 2200. What a steal . Fits right in with my other 13 bikes . 50cc uo to 450cc .Now it's my grocery getter , around town taxi ... Never thought I would enjoy it like I do. Ease of riding , confidence comes with practice . Get you some ..!!!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 8:06 am

Welcome Geezer, sadly sound like you and I are nearly the same age! LOL As to your #1 point above yes, you can stand up on the boards but for me the geometry isn't good for that and I am 6'0". On my Goldwing I could "stand on the pegs" for 20 minutes if needed! Not this scooter.

I am with John, use a different bike for the MSF course; the clutch makes slow speed handling much better.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 11:55 am

Welcome Geezer. Or should I say Welcome "Young Whippersnapper"? LOL
That was a great intro. Thanks for that. I've also had a few different bikes in the past and ended up with my 08 SWing, which I really like. I guess I'm getting lazier in my old age and enjoy the no shifting part. I don't worry about tipping over too much seeing as I had my SWing triked out about 4 years ago with no regrets. It's a Motor Trike version and so far I haven't had any problems with it.
Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts Coborn39
Back to top Go down
OldGeezer-69
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldGeezer-69

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2021-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks "Dale N." for commenting.

My follow up & Questions etc were moved to
"Honda Silver Wing \ Silver WingTopics"
Post title = New owner questions

Best Regards
OldGeezer-69
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts   Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old- newbie, MetroWest Massachusetts
Page 1 of 1