Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

passenger buffeting or wind protection

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
john grinsel
DLK
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2019-04-01

passenger buffeting or wind protection Empty
PostSubject: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 9:13 am

I have a large givi screen and a corbin saddle. My wife says the wind is really bad for her. Has anyone tried the lips or diverters on a givi to reduce the wind for the passenger?
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 10:08 am

First, if you have large Givi Screen, get rid of it or cut before you kill yourself. Looking thru ain't cool, think snow sleet rain/dust! Givi Adjustable windshield has worked best on SilverWings in most cases.

Problem on maxi scooters, your nose is too far from tip of shield== lots of buffeting, even worse for passenger in most cases. Givi Adjustable in lowest position might be better for passenger. I have some maxi scooter experience---on 11th new one since 1990 over 400,000 miles with them.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 5:12 am

john grinsel wrote:
Problem on maxi scooters, your nose is too far from tip of shield== lots of buffeting, even worse for passenger in most cases.

Why is this a problem? If your face/head/helmet was near the tip of the screen to prevent buffeting as you claim. You'd hit the screen when you brake, in the same way a passengers helmet will occasionally annoyingly bump the back of the riders helmet.

It would also be the first point of contact for your head in any collision too.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 10:10 am

Part of the buffeting problem is the air coming back together after you pass thru it.  Maxi scooter with up to 2 feet of your face being away from tip of shield--has lots of buffeting.  Passenger even worse.

I have had and ridden 4 Vespas---with right shield and height really buffet free and comfortable for the long haul. Old Harley big twin with factory windshield, windguards and tin legshields and solo up down seat also comfortable and quite buffet free.   For me,best on long haul comfort and no buffeting BMW twin with Heinrich uppers and lowers. Silverwing, Givi Adjustable shield best bet for some comfort.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 8:28 pm

Hello Dan,,

For me the Givi AF214 is the best so far.... It is ajustable and you will always find the good spot either for you or your wife...
Michel
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2020-07-08

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2021 5:46 am

DLK wrote:
I have a large givi screen and a corbin saddle. My wife says the wind is really bad for her. Has anyone tried the lips or diverters on a givi to reduce the wind for the passenger?  
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

My wife complains about the wind too, but normally the day after a few pints of Guinness.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 11:34 pm

I have a Clearview XL screen on my 08 SWing. Not sure but I think the XL means Extra Large? Anyway, It's tall, or short, enough for me to just see over the top without any problems. I haven't had any problems with it when getting stuck in the rain. I just duck down a bit as needed. As for buffeting I don't have a real problem with it. Sure I'm going to get wind noise but it hasn't caused any problems yet. If it gets bad I just turn down my hearing aids and WahLa, no more wind noise. I guess there is a benefit at being half deaf. That Silver Lining and Cloud thing comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 8:18 am

My Goldwing 1800 had an adjustable windshield...but once adjusted for me never got used again.
Oh well I seldom rode two-up on it. I bought a Cee Bailey (5 inches higher than stock) for my Silver Wing and it works great. I look right over the top and can duck behind it as necessary. Sadly Cee Bailey no longer makes motorcycle units...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 10:22 am

Now whenever I see a photo of a used Silver Wing for sale with it's OE screen, I wonder if the previous owner(s) rode/suffered behind that useless Honda stock screen for years, or fitted an Airflow and put the Honda screen back on when they sold it.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 3:37 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Now whenever I see a photo of a used Silver Wing for sale with it's OE screen, I wonder if the previous owner(s) rode/suffered behind that useless Honda stock screen for years, or fitted an Airflow and put the Honda screen back on when they sold it.

I gave my OEM windshield to another rider that needed it. I think he was on here but can't remember. Got tired of storing it. Figured it would never replace the Cee Bailey!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: passenger buffeting or wind protection   passenger buffeting or wind protection I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

passenger buffeting or wind protection
Page 1 of 1