Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites Empty
PostSubject: TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites   TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 2:25 am

In april 2021 Tomtom rider and other old GPS devices stoped working with an error message saying "wating for valid GPS signal". This is due to the GPS week number rollover problem. It took until now before the error occurred. It can be fixed by updating your GPS, as this video shows. My TomTom Rider2 suddenly stopped picking up satellites, effectively rendering the old generation biker GPS useless. This will explain how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya_1Ri7JEaM. sunny
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites   TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks for that information Francois.

I may lock this topic so that it doesn’t get watered down.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites   TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 9:40 am

Can I least dilute it then Timothy. I haven't dug my original TomTom Rider out for years. When I bought it, I couldn't get Western Europe maps for it, the supplied mounting hardware was only for tubular handlebars, and maxi scooters like the 2003 to 2007 Burgman 400 had stupid little gloveboxes so narrow that you couldn't use a normal 12v power plug and close the lid.

Then by the time I was able to install and use the TomTom with European maps they were way out of date. I remember it trying to direct me from Kassel in Germany onto sections of autobahn that were closed and barriered off. I had to direct myself back on route from memory and the TomTom more or less behaved itself for the rest of the trip. Apart from a couple of minor incidents when it would instruct me to go in a different direction than the road signs were pointing to.

I bought a Garmin Zūmo when I got back home, with that at least I can update maps and mount it on a maxi scooter with all the RAM Mount bits I've accumulated. Unlike the Silver Wing I can't just undo the Zumo in it's Touratech holder and lock the whole unit in the Forza's smaller glovebox, as the lid is smaller.

Anyhow sat nav/GPS units constantly need the maps updating, unlike Google maps which Mrs M prefers to use which are always up to date and give visual displays of current traffic problems.

If you look at some of the maxi scooters available now, navigation is now part of their instrument display that you get via the manufacturers Connect app on your iPhone or cell phone. The 12v socket in the glovebox is now a USB to plug your phone in so you don't flatten the battery.

The navigation display is basic turn by turn information to your destination, which you set up on your phone first. I like the idea as it does away with RAM mounts, arms, balls, and all the assorted junk you have to cobble together with a TomTom or Garmin set up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites   TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TomTom Rider 2 not reading Saltellites
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: