Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

can you smell burning rubber?

Go down 
+4
GoonerKev
Mech 1 twa
Sepp
Loosemarbles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

can you smell burning rubber? Empty
PostSubject: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 pm

I've just had a non aggressive race with a fairly sporty car, up hill and then along a long straight just before my street turning. I stayed with him all the way up the hill at about 70mph when he had to slow up for traffic, when I tried to continue past him he moved into the middle of the road to stop me passing. I passed him anyway and gave him a wave as I sped off into the distance, about 90mph and continued almost flat out until my turn off.

I settled into my street and back-pushed my SW into the garage and switched off. Then I thought I could smell oil, no...a hot engine....then I realised it was hot rubber.

Is this likely to be the drive belt or my rear tyre? I've never noticed this smell before even after some hard riding.

It's a trivial topic I know but what's that smell?
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 4:31 pm

you should have gone to your knees and used your nose to figure out what smelled where.
You smell the tire only if it has low pressure and gets too warm.
Normally after heavy load and a fast stop the engine smells because of the heat what vaporizes some of the oil and grime on the engine. The belt only smells it it got too hot because someone forgot to clean the air intake filter on the CVT.
stay safe and tune in to doc Campbell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJqSdmNNwW4

after that visit Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpN_jOiXYRE
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 5:04 pm

Are you suggesting that I have Corona virus which is affecting my sense of smell? It was defiinitley burning rubber!!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm

I sometimes have to check my shorts when someone cuts me off.

Silverwing, the scooter rider's method of burning rubber.  

tongue
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 8:18 am

Yeah, but that's just a euphemism Laughing
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Sepp
That linkon the Dr was so good to see and understand,thank you.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-02-26

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Did you check your shoe soles for signs of melting? Perhaps, your feet were touching the pavement for better balance at high speed.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 3:09 am

I've experienced a similar thing after an enthusiastic ride up the Hartside Pass over here. In my case it was clutch due to the repeated (and wantonly unnecessary) hard acceleration out of each hair pin bend.
Damned good fun though :-)
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 5:33 am

Well first off, rustysdream....wearing shoes while riding is very inadviseable but I have checked the soles of my boots and even gave them a good sniff....I don't think it was them causing the problem.

Hot clutch? could that create a similar smell? I suppose it might, particularly when combined with the usual 'hot engine' smell.

Well I did say this is a trivial matter and I'll make sure I give my SW a good sniff-over after riding, I just hope I don't find myself cocking-up one leg and pis****ing all over my rear wheel Suspect
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 am

Could be the Belt rubbing on something !
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 am

Well I don't get any belt slap and everything seemed to be running clear when I ran it without the cover on. I still think I'm overthinking this topic but I've never smelled it before so it could be worth another look.

As an aside, I was once asked whether I smoke after having sex. I replied, "no, but I do get a smell of burning rubber"!
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-02-26

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 9:04 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Well first off, rustysdream....wearing shoes while riding is very inadviseable but I have checked the soles of my boots and even gave them a good sniff....I don't think it was them causing the problem.

The only person who ever found my sense of humor entertaining was myself. Laughing
I should have said "flip-flops" instead of shoes to make sure nobody's taking my comment seriously.

Last edited by rustysdream on Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 9:14 am

yes you can just visit a tire fire and smell it, than compare with the smell you had in mind.
If they are identical look where it was burning!
There are different smells for warm rubber, hot rubber, burn out rubber and burning rubber.
If your nose is not up to the task, a TVOC meter will be useful.
You can actual scan the different areas of you bike with it and see where the smell comes from most.
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 9:02 pm

Loosemarbles you have a new avatar. Keep burning the rubber. Ride ON. Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2020 1:22 am

I could smell rubber on all the SWs I've had as well as my BMW C650GT after a bit of spirited riding. It seems to be a combination of belt and tire mixed with a bit of brake pad. Runninhg hard will make the belt smell a bit. It's going to heat due to the amount of power it's transferring from the power plant to the road. There's always more energy used by a CVT system than a more common gearbox. That's one of the main reasons the few cars in the 60s that used CVT systems couldn't match the mpg of more conventional systems.
Back to top Go down
mondodemundo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2019-08-21

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2020 7:50 pm

You can get that smell if you ride it hard and then shut it off, from some of the coolant hoses because you generated a lot of heat then turned the engine off and the coolant isn't moving.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can you smell burning rubber?   can you smell burning rubber? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: