Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to Me '09 Silverwing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
husabob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-01-27

New to Me '09 Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 pm

After riding my '86 Honda Elite 250 for 4 years, and putting on over 12K trouble free miles, I felt it was time for an upgrade. I rode my SilverWing to work this morning at 6am; temps in the mid 30s(f). Wow, what an upgrade. I liked the low beam on my Elite more, as the light projects further, but the power, suspension, and storage more than make up for it. The tall Givi windshield and top box with integral brake lights complete the package. I will be looking at adding more lights, heated grips, and a GPS/cell phone mount. My wife would rather be a passenger, so I am selling my Elite. It's listed on the NH C/L. I'm keeping my BMW's and Versys X-300 for now. Regards, Bob in NH.

I took the long way home after work. A 70+ mile mix rural roads, ranging from 60MPH to frost heaves and potholes. Temps were in the low 40's(f). Sand and runoff from melting snow was everywhere, tempering my usually spirited pace. My SW handled all of it with relative ease, and never lost its composure. The two biggest changes from my Elite are the sitting position, and the hand operated rear brake. I find myself moving my feet backwards for more aggressive riding. Muscle memory has me instinctively using my right foot to brake. To retrain myself, I "cover" the rear brake lever, and practice braking with both hands. I haven't decided if I like the linked brakes. Bob

Last edited by husabob on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Welcome Aboard. I've got an '09 as well, nice bike. Very easy to ride. Riding in these temps takes some prep with good clothing, but once you get suited up, its not bad.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 7:40 am

Welcome! Glad you are enjoying your Silver Wing in spite of the weather. I have used mine down to 30 degrees before. Does fine but is certainly brisk!!! As to the brakes, you will adjust fast, I too was used to foot brakes but now even switching around I adjust immediately. Personally I have never had a problem with the linked brakes but some on here complain about them.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Welcome Bob to the best SWing site on the net.
I have an 08 SWing that I had triked out last year and have no regrets doing it. It was a bit of a learning curve but it went will. Heck, sometimes I'll ride with friends 150 or so miles one way to get Ice Cream or a cup of coffee. Anything for a ride right?

Not sure what your age is but when I was younger 30's and 40's wasn't too cold. But now I want it a bit warmer as old age creeps in. I don't volunteer for rain anymore either. If I get caught in it that's one thing but if it's raining "we" don't go for a ride. By "we" I mean me and my SWing. I don't want to put it through that. I give it baths enough...
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 7:05 am

Welcome from o-HI-o Bob, the brakes and the " coast " will be gotten used to rather quickly as I found out.
Back to top Go down
husabob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 7:55 am

Dale, I'll be 64 in May. As long as the roads are clear, low temps don't bother me. Riding in below freezing temps requires a bit more preparation. It was 14(f) when I left for work this morning at 6am. I typically wear a two piece Olympia riding suit without the liners in, over jeans and a long sleeved shirt. I add a sweatshirt or the jacket liner below 50(f). This morning, I added a down vest. I wear regular hiking boots and medium thickness socks. On my hands, I wear Klim Split Finger mittens. My right hand felt the cold after 30 minutes, but not critically.
Riding just before dawn, I am keenly aware of how sharp the low beam cutoff is, and I don't like it at all. Maybe I can raise to low beam a bit. In any case, I'll be adding spot lights to fix that, once I figure out a mounting point. Bob
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi Bob. I'm not really sure if it's old age or just laziness on my part. All that dressing up is just too much work for me. I just want to throw my leather jacket and helmet on and go down the road. I do have a good excuse tho. My street is snow packed and bumpy as heck and my trike has summer tires on it. We use a lot of salt and other chemicals on the roads over here so that's another reason I want it warm and sunny...
Back to top Go down
husabob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 11:19 am

This web site is proving to be a very valuable resource. My thanks to all who took the time to share their knowledge and experiences, good or bad. I adjusted my headlight up a bit last night, and the improvement is very good. I can now see a lot further down the road without blinding oncoming traffic. After removing the panel over the headlight without breaking the tabs, and not finding the vertical adjustment, I found it under the fairing to the left of center. No worries. Bob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Me '09 Silverwing   New to Me '09 Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Me '09 Silverwing
Page 1 of 1