Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My SiverWing was stolen today!!

Go down 
+6
bikehiker
Mech 1 twa
Mike from NS
GoonerKev
oldwingguy
DLK
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2019-04-01

My SiverWing  was stolen today!! Empty
PostSubject: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 7:09 pm

My son is now 15 ½ and in Ohio you can get your motorcycle temporary license at 15 ½ . This gives you access to all street riding except highway, night and passenger. Came home today from work and my scooter was gone! Guess who got there temps? Who do you worry more for? Sure he’s my son, but that scooter is mint… Laughing .. O well guess it was coming , he has been on motorcycles since 3 ½ … On the road with a moped since 14… and spends all his free time riding bicycle bmx.  

Wish me and my scooter luck.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 pm

LOL, as long as both come home mint.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 am

Looks like you will be asking him now to borrow it Wink
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 am

Looks like a search will be on for a second one. Or tell your son you will be adding a side car so you can come along on his rides.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 6:46 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 6:12 pm

He has been running the wheels off it since getting his temps. Often calling his mom or me to find out directions to get home. He has traveled as far as 3 hours away so far. Just today he said he was going to get lunch, and called from a hour and a half away for directions home…. So to get my wing back I have found and bought a 2013 Suzuki gw250 with 3k miles on it for him. I will pick it up Friday after work. As soon as it has plates and insurance we can then ride together…  Kids…
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 6:32 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Now you can have yours back.................at last Wink
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 8:22 pm

That Suzuki will slow him down some. Apple doesn't far from tree riding is a good thing. Bonding and shared time is good. Get him a good phone and he'll never be lost again.??? Google maps.

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Great father-son interest, and you probably have more confidence in his skills since he was introduced to riding very early. Probably rides safer than most of us as long as the fresher blood has an internal governor to keep him safe.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 10:21 pm

When I saw the subject line I thought this was the case. Today I was thinking how Scooters are kind of like stick shift cars; who's going to to steal one; not exactly be a status symbol.

A month ago I came out if the grocery store after spending 2.5 hours filling up the chip aisle and found my keys still in the bike, nothing disturbed.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 8:37 am

I think I'd get more from insurance for mine if it were stolen than if I sold it, sadly. I'll just keep mine if I can't sell it.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 8:39 am

ScottO wrote:
I was thinking how Scooters are kind of like stick shift cars; who's going to to steal one; not exactly be a status symbol.

Different reasons: nobody wants a scooter but nobody can drive a stick.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 9:33 am

They can on this side of the Pond. The vast majority of drivers learn in manual transmission/stick shift cars, once qualified they can drive manual or automatic cars. A driver who chooses to learn in an automatic car gets an automatic only licence and is only qualified to drive them.

I learned to drive 'stick' and I've never done it since. I've never had any desire to own any manual transmission car with a clutch. Although I didn't mind playing with the sequential gears on a couple of Smart cars I owned.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 am

I'm sure driver training and testing is better in the UK. Driving a stick is almost a lost art here in the US--google "carjacking foiled by manual transmission." I consider my Subaru's stick an anti-theft device nowadays.

For an even smaller pool of qualified drivers, how about a non-synchronized "double-clutch" transmission? I bought an antique fire engine once and had to learn double-clutching in order to drive it home.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 9:46 pm

Left brake lever pulled in far enough to start SW would prevent most from starting it. If you don't know it won't start.

I was behind a bike a few weeks ago guy and girl. He rode away with kick stand down and I said to myself this could be bad. Lucky for them when he turned a little left it went up bike jumped up hard but no accident. Very lucky..

Skills come with experience and seat time.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 am

Back in the day forgetting to raise the side/kick stand and riding away with it down could cause serious injuries to a rider if it grounded. Of course that isn't a problem now as manufacturers have fitted engine cut out switches to prevent this happening.

This is a very useful safety feature especially on maxi scooters where the owner puts the side stand down when getting on and off the scooter and can't start the engine until it's raised again.

Despite this, there has been a few topics on here about owners deliberately disabling the Silver Wings side stand engine cut out switch, or asking for advice about it.

Not something I'd ever attempt or do, but as an example I remember a post from a few years ago.  Someone was enquiring about disabling it, or might have had already done it, just so his Silver Wing could idle on the side stand with the engine running while he fastened his helmet up.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 5:45 pm

It's easy to disable the kickstand safety but I wouldn't do it either. My soon to be sold BMW 650 had a double protection. Put down the stand and the engine won't start and the rear brake was applied. I rather liked the brake hold, made it safe to park downhill without risking the bike rolling off the stand. It also did a good job of preventing taking off with the landing gear down. Some of the guys on the BMW scooter forum did disconnect the electrical switch allowing the engine to be started on the side stand not quite as dangerous IF the stand operated brake was adjusted right.

Years ago I did take off with a kick stand down on a Yamaha bike. I was lucky because when I made the first left turn I was on soft ground. Even then it dumped me. Some time back I remember reading about a fellow who made a left turn on a highway, had the stand down, crashed and died.
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Before the kick stand safety switch they used to hang a piece of rubber off the stand foot like a wing to kick it up before metal hit. On D.J.s new bike it won’t crank and the dash just says check until you put it up.
Got everything legal and he put around 60 miles on the new bike today. Started in a big park getting used to it, then we went for a ride with me following .. He rode really well. Sure felt good.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Well, son got a second street  bike now. In addition to his gw250 Suzuki  he just got a 2018 z125 pro Kawasaki with 600 miles on it. I couldn’t pass it up,  I work with the owner and last January he bought it on impulse. Well he asked if I wanted it for D and we came to much less than ½ what he paid for it and about a grand less than nada value.. Cash today sale. Can’t say I could live like that, buying and selling on a whim,  but it works well for me( the buyer).
D fits it well and it makes him feel like a real racer….  I can ride it and have but hurts my hips if I ride like that to long…

Also he passed his state run motorcycle safety foundation course. Spent a 6 hour night class then  8 hour day in the rain riding around a parking lot on a vanvan, then a cold day doing the same 8 hours in the parking lot on a vanvan. So in less than 10 days on his b day he can walk in and get both his car and motorcycle full licenses…. I’m most scared about the car, he seems not to take it as serious as the bike….

Wish us all luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My SiverWing was stolen today!!   My SiverWing  was stolen today!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My SiverWing was stolen today!!
Page 1 of 1