Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby bjkaraoke Today at 7:30 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Maintenance on my air filter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Maintenance on my air filter Empty
PostSubject: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:53 am

Hi,

Even though I have the K&N air filter I forgot to buy the cleaner for it, so I had to put an OEM filter on. It only took me about 20mins and is really easy. I have a pictorial here too if you have never done this. The K&N was dirty which is why I put in the clean OEM I have. I am going to order some cleaner for it tonight.

Has anyone ever installed a K&N air filter and also had to clean it? And did you order the filter cleaner they usually sell that goes with it? I was just wondering the best why to clean them since I haven't done it yet. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:31 am

Jeff,
i have a K&N air cleaner on my other bike and truck. You can buy a kit
at Wall Mart, it comes with the spray cleaner and spray oil. But on their site they used to say you can clean it with a mild dish washing soap. Pump the soap onto the outside of the filter and let it sit for half hour. Then run warm water through it from the inside out. Do this 2 or 3 times until the water runs clean then let it air dry, do NOT blow air through it. After it is dry use the K&N reddish spray oil to recover the outside.
Paul
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 11:24 pm

How do you get to the Air Filter? I'm thinking about switching to a K N but am now wondering if it's worth it....I someone can post some pictures on where and how to get to it I would appreciate it...Just "Old Dave"
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:11 am

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:25 am

JeffR wrote:
Has anyone ever installed a K&N air filter and also had to clean it? And did you order the filter cleaner they usually sell that goes with it? I was just wondering the best why to clean them since I haven't done it yet. Thanks.

I cleaned my K&N air filter with the K&N spray kit.

The instructions say not to use high pressure water, so I cleaned the air filter (opposite flow direction) with water from a hose.

Then I used the K&N spray and let it drip (opposite flow direction), I could not believe how much grime came off the filter - even after using a lot of water. I let the filter drip for awhile.

Then I cleaned the filter again with the water from a hose. I let it dry overnight laying next to a low spead fan overnight to ensure it was dry.

I then used the K&N red oil which made it very easy to spot dry or uneven oiling. I let the oil drip onto a paper towel overnight (opposite flow direction) and then reinstalled the air filter.

The filter looked brand new Smile
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:35 am

Somehow duplicated post.

Last edited by honda_silver on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Jeff R
I could not get the link up on the Air Filter and how to change it etc. Guess I am a computer illiterate....Is there an access door or do you have to remove the tupper panel?
Thank's for the help...
Dave
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 4:03 pm

DaveR,

I emailed you 2 versions of the file, 1 in Word, and 1 in a .pdf file. It is about 3.5 mbs so if that is too big you can also go to www.scootertrap.com and go to the Silver Wing 600 section. Matt has placed quite a few of my Pictorials on his site too. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maintenance on my air filter   Maintenance on my air filter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maintenance on my air filter
Page 1 of 1