Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby bjkaraoke Today at 7:30 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clutch Squeal?

Go down 
+3
Loosemarbles
john grinsel
Russ Wristen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Russ Wristen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-06-25

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 10:46 pm

Since I am a newbie at this and I am pending knee surgery but not just wanting the bike to sit in the backyard, I have been going out and riding it in a large circle. I have a fairly sized backyard I can do this in.

Fast and slow acceleration. I would let off on the throttle going into the turn then slowly accelerate coming out of the turn. I’m sure you can visualize that.

I wanted to test the emergency brake from a dead stop so I engaged it then gave it some gas. It did roll forward but immediately I got a squeal from the rear end. It subsided when I let off the throttle. I disengaged the emergency brake but the squeal continued every time I applied the gas. I drove around the backyard three more times and every time I gave it gas there was that squeal coming from the rear end.

Well dang it! Have I broken my Silverwing? I thought testing the emergency brake versus acceleration was a good test but maybe it wasn’t now. Of course I’ve been going around in circles often on for half an hour so maybe that might’ve overheated the clutch also?

I watched a video on YouTube about clutch squeal and think this may be it.

My bike has just under 8000 miles and probably has never been serviced except for oil and battery.

I found a fellow here in Abilene, he has a motorcycle repair shop (he’s been in business over 30 years), who will replace the front and rear tires change the oil and do a tuneup for $500. So I’m not too worried because I’m sure that he could repair any damage I’ve done.

I parked it and will try it again tomorrow and see if the squeal is still there.

Have any of you experienced this?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 am

Emergency Brake? There is parking brake on SilverWing! Clutch squeal----can be gotten rid of by running engine up against reg. brakes. Save your $500----over 90,000 SilverWing miles for...they do not need tune up-----Drive belts at 15,000 miles or so, maybe new plug at 50,000 plus miles---oil change at least a couple of time a year---I do filter every other oil change---Both filter and oil I get at WalMart. Tires shop on price----but remember removing rear wheel time consuming and pain in butt.

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 5:26 am

Do you think this could be belt squeal? There's a lot of info here regarding belt squeal...(which I tolerated for a long time).......until I replaced the clutch bell which was badly scored from a previous owner running the shoes down to the metal! I suspect I was also getting clutch noise
but it was difficult to tell amongst all the squealing and juddering.

Anyhow, replacing the clutch bell seems to have cured all the noises and I now ride in smooth silence...so to speak.

Maybe get your contact to have a look at the clutch assembly. Maybe an inspection and clean up will solve the issue. I doubt you've done any damage using your parking brake test unless there was something amiss in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 7:44 am

Clutch Squeal?  Image23
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 7:50 am

8000 miles: going around in circles is great but not the best workout for the bike. You need to give it a good hard run at speed to shake the cobwebs. The belt squeal is probably caused by glazing: If you gun the engine with the brakes on, not parking brakes !, it might get rid of that glazing and cure the squeal.
We've all done that at some point: I have done it myself, but knowing what it is, I just ignore it now.
And, like John says, save your money !
I am curious: What year is it ?

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Clutch Squeal?  Image23

I like that. One must sometimes engage brain before opening mouth it's difficult at times.

Donuts are great glazed but not clutch shoes or belt.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 11:07 am

I agree with Mech 1 twa, Good one Cosmic_Jumper thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clutch Squeal?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch Squeal?    Clutch Squeal?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch Squeal?
Page 1 of 1