Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

motorcycle shop blues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2015-06-13

motorcycle shop blues Empty
PostSubject: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Three weeks ago I went to "Ridenow on 22nd street here in Tucson to get a price on new Shinko front tire mount and balance for my 2005 Swing. They quoted around $70.00 . I told the service guy order it after leaving a down payment on Saturday. I was told it would be in the following Wednesday and they would call. I waited till Friday and called them. After twenty minutes on the phone ,was told they forgot to place order after reassuring me Wednesday the order was placed. I reordered and waited five days before calling. They said tire was in. Took the front wheel off ,cleaned it and marked weights location. After four more days I called (they never once called me) and was told tire was ready. I get there and looked at the wheel; 1)grease smudges all over a previously cleaned wheel ;2) no valve cap;3) one wheel spacer missing ( they were tied to wheel when delivered); 4) previous wheel weights adhesives still on;5) no air in tire ;6) too much wheel weights. They corrected the air,found the other spacer and put on valve cap after I mentioned the problems. No apologies or thank you. This is my first and last dealing with these monkeys.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Diabolical service, go elsewhere next time Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 4:06 pm

best way on tires in US----order yourself---Dennis Kirk has worked for me for years....their tires are fresh. Do mounting yourself, I use "Ride On" as balance medium.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 7:55 pm

John, I usually do my own tire change ,but these tires were over ten years old and are very hard to get off rim. I like either Dennis Kirk or Chaparral or sometimes the Superstore. The back Michelin was done by me and so I'll be adding Ride-On when it arrives.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Little tip on doing tires when you are old----longer tire irons are needed. 13 inch rim getting getting tire off rim---help(helper makes it easier, but I can do alone,too) is needed to hold tire/rim getting final bead off---that and 24 inch tire iron from India and then getting tire off rim works for me with help of rubber hammer For removal, I use WD 40 as lube. /assembly a little thinned out dish soap.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 am

John, I used 24" tire irons, long screwdriver and thinned dish soap on my rear tire but like you said a helper would be nice. Removing brake disc sure would help also.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 3:16 pm

I have 2 local motorcycle shops in my area, and both started using tire irons on any wheel under 16". They both say it takes to much time to switch the tire machine over for smaller wheels, so they ding up the rim instead using irons! I discovered a guy at work has a tire mounting machine in his garage, and he only charges $5 to use it-to cover materials. No more paying $20-$50 for dinged up rim lips!
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Oh, and removing the old tires. Once the bead is broken loose from the rim wall, I cut the center of the tire to the wire bead and cut it with bolt cutters. Smaller the rim (10" on Zuma's) harder it is to remove the old tire. I have really good industrial cutter that go thru the tire very easily.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Sad to think, scooters used to have split rim wheels----rear wheels easy to get off, too and of course spare tire----2 of the 4 2 stroke Vespas I had (PX150E and PX200E) came with spare wheel and even a little prop to aide in rear wheel removal---the two 125's I had did not have spare wheel and tire. cheaper price?

I liked the easy to change tire split rims and of course spare----I think only BMW scooters have single sided rear swing arm for easy wheel removal today. I know there is argument on tubeless vs. tubed tired-----either one has worked for me.

Even rusted wheels still allowed bead to be broken......with a little beating!
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 2:14 pm

scOOter, you are right about cutting the bead to remove old tire. Besides you are not touching the rim. I have to get a decent bolt cutter for the next tire change. Good post.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 3:16 pm

John
I still have my trusted PX, and put new split rims & tyres on it last weekend (front & back) and they have an advantage, after I had put them on and with my 2 year old grandson watching and helping Grandad, I noticed that I had put tread wrong way round !!!! (had to count to 10 as he was by my side Wink , so undone the split rim and corrected it, thus not having to break the bead. Phew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: motorcycle shop blues   motorcycle shop blues I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

motorcycle shop blues
Page 1 of 1