Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Schuberth!

Go down 
+5
GoonerKev
Dale N.
Seadog
Easyrider
Delray
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 9:29 pm

Oh my goodness, where have you been all my life, Schuberth M1?

The new lid arrived via UPS today and I just rode for an hour in pure bliss.

Fits like it was sculpted around my head.

Excellent ventilation (although there is a slight rush when it's fully open).

Incredibly wide field of vision. And the visor is so clear, I had to tap it three times to make sure it was down.

Quietest helmet I've had on my head -- you don't even need ear plugs.

I bought the SRC comm system to go with the built-in microphones (yes, plural) and speakers. "Hey Siri ...."

When you turn it off, a soothing female voice says, "Auf Wiedersehen." Love it.

They're a bit pricey. I got mine for $299 vs. $599 U.S. normal retail, but every ride I take will now be more pleasant for it. Money well spent.

Highly recommended!

Schuberth! Img_2710
Schuberth! Img_2711
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 3:53 am

Good choice mate, the Schuberth M1 is a very good open face helmet and much improved from the earlier Scuberth J1 I wore before it. That had a detachable U shaped chin bar that added stiffness to the sides of the helmet and made you look like one of your NFL football kickers. The visor mechanism and visor tabs weren't very robust either and I lost the prominent air scoop on the top when a Airflow top screen became detached and hit my helmet at 70mph.

The M1 is a lot better, I like the built in twin cheek microphones and speakers, the SRC intercom, and I don't know if you already knew that the inner lining seams are heat welded not stitched, so you won't have the seams digging into your forehead and causing pressure pain.

My helmet is matt black with the silver air scoop, I've added a Pinlock inner visor, a pair of Schuberth Union Jack side visor covers, and large matt black reflective stickers/decals to front, sides, and back. They're neat as they have a Stealth look and are only really visible when light reflects of them, and they're required in countries like France.

Quiet as the Schuberth M1 is, I still always wear earplugs when wearing it, and that applys to the Schuberth E1 adventure helmet I have too.

If you like the idea of jazzing your M1 up with a set of Stars and Stripes side visor covers similar to the flag covers on my helmet, they're proper Schuberth accessories and also available in the flags of Italy, France, Germany etc. A Google search should find some.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 4:43 am

Careful Meldrew, you are suggesting that a member on this forum tinker with his equipment. Ha, Ha! Joking!
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 7:00 am

Delray (and Meldrew), That's most unfair of you. I've been toying with the idea of getting an M1, but so far managed to resist. You've got me tempted again!

I've long had a Schuberth C3 (flip front type, dayglo yellow), and have been impressed by the quality and comfort, but would like an open face, and with the visor closed the C3 helmet does tend to drum with the turbulence off the top of the screen.

Delray. Enjoy the clear screen while it's like that, and look after it - they do gradually get less clear, and they're bloody expensive to replace.

The pinlock anti-mist visor is well worth having, but I can no longer make mine seal (even after a replacement pinlock). The pins that hold them in are adjustable, but no matter how many times I try. . .
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for the good tips on the care and accessorizing of the M1, Meldrew and Seadog.

I love the matte black and would have chosen it if possible. Alas, the vendor only had one XL/61 size and that was gloss. It's a great look though and I like the designation of "Berlin Black" as the color ... I'm 4th generation USA but both sides of my family before that hail from German and German-speaking French towns in the Alsace-Lorraine region (going back to the 11th century).

I love the idea of side visor stickers and will see if I can find a deal on the black-red-yellow stripes version (German flag).

Couldn't be happier with the M1. I told my wife this morning, "I have read a ton of Google reviews, but I've never seen a product with so many positive, over-the-top endorsements." Schuberth really delivered.

Another bonus: Florida has no helmet law. So it's too easy to follow my old hippie instincts and ride without one. Now, my more sensible grandfatherly instincts are motivated and rewarded to wear a helmet and be safer.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 1:46 pm

I can't wear a full faced helmet or one with a bubble shield. I'd have to drill a hole in the front somewhere so I could still light my cigarette. But then the helmet would fill with smoke and that wouldn't be good.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oh the good old day's Wink
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Dale N. wrote:
I can't wear a full faced helmet or one with a bubble shield. I'd have to drill a hole in the front somewhere so I could still light my cigarette. But then the helmet would fill with smoke and that wouldn't be good.

That's why they invented pipes! Smile
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 1:41 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing I remember my dear old Dad smoking a pipe on his old BSA 350 twin, the boggles What a Face
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 11:35 pm

"Quiet as the Schuberth M1 is, I still always wear earplugs when wearing it,"

I'm glad you mentioned this. I tried earplugs with the new helmet and it improves the experience a lot, and I can still hear music and phone calls perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 1:40 am

I'm glad you tried wearing the M1 with earplugs. With other helmets where you have to install your own speakers getting them placed just right is very difficult. With the M1’s being pre-installed they're perfectly placed and recessed there's nothing pressing on your ears to cause discomfort. So wearing earplugs isn't a problem and apart from protecting your hearing, music, phone calls, and GPS/sat nav instructions are still audible and clear.

There's also the added bonus of no intercom unit glued or clamped to the side of your helmet disrupting the airflow, and no big boom microphone stuck in front of your face.

Wih my Schuberth E1 I had to install the Schuberth SC10U intercom unit, a very simple job. The electronic bit slots into a pocket behind the inner liner round the back of the helmet, where you also charge it up. The speakers go into the recesses each side of the helmet, and a small unit with two control buttons and a very small microphone are at cheek level on the inner lining inside the helmet.

Another piece of Schuberth kit I have is the Remote Control which clamps onto a handlebar grip and by pressing the + or - buttons on it I can perform various functions.

So far I've only played with it, had a ride with it on, and then put it back in the box. I'll come clean and admit it's totally unnecessary and a classic example of old men farkling. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 9:55 am

I bought one Schuberht-----sold by BMW in Germany----heavy/stunk from glue---expensive, Maybe not the easiest to see out of. I prefer lighter/cheaper/easy to wear. My world no need for ear phones/speakers.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 10:57 am

"Another piece of Schuberth kit I have is the Remote Control which clamps onto a handlebar grip and by pressing the + or - buttons on it I can perform various functions ... I'll come clean and admit it's totally unnecessary and a classic example of old men farkling."

Now that I've discovered the wonders of a RAM spring-loaded cradle, my phone is always on the handlebar. SRC provides a mobile app that gives you several handy functions with the M1 (photo).

Old men farkling? I'm sure it happens. I see it more with younger men riding $40,000 bikes up and down A1A (the road next to the ocean on the east coast of Florida). The only farkle they're missing is a blinking sign that says, "Look at me!"

Otherwise, I see it as "mature men of means continually seeking more refined experiences."  ;o)

My audio of choice, whether in the Schuberth or a ball cap with AirPods, is German progressive house music (https://hirschmilch.de). It's nicely chilled percussive music that reminds me of an engine running well. There are no (audio) commercials and the music has no singing/lyrics, which I find distracting on a bike.

Schuberth! Img_1710
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-05-19

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Questions about your most excellent Schuberth Helmet purchase...   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 2:03 pm

You said you got it for $299, but not from where you got it. I have been looking here in the US but cannot find it for that price. Also did your price of $299 include the SRC? How does the space inside the helmet look for my adding my UClear speakers and mics?

Thanks for you very informational article.

den
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 3:57 pm

"You said you got it for $299, but not from where you got it. I have been looking here in the US but cannot find it for that price. Also did your price of $299 include the SRC? How does the space inside the helmet look for my adding my UClear speakers and mics?"

Here's my vendor in Arizona. https://www.ebay.com/i/323686651982?chn=ps

Another in Germany, same price, +$15 more for shipping. https://www.ebay.com/i/293042580943?chn=ps.

Motostorm has them for 20% off now. https://www.motostorm.it/en/jet-helmets/schuberth.html

I bought the SRC from Motostorm for $170, so total investment was about $500. FWIW, Motostorm is in Italy and delivered the SRC faster than I got the helmet from Arizona.

If it's helpful for searching, SRC is made by a company named Cardo.

A heads up I learned after the fact: The M1 and SRC for M1 have been discontinued. That's why prices are so great (and they're not so easy to find). It doesn't bother me because I'm sure the helmet will last ten years or more.

No clue about your UClear gear; never heard of it.

I just ordered Aftershokz bone phones for rides when I don't wear a helmet. No way the Aftershokz fits inside the Schuberth. Amazing product. They deliver sound by bone conduction, and the quality is incredible. Also keeps the ears free for ear plugs. https://aftershokz.com/collections/wireless

I will add the M1 is (designed to be) snug. My size XL fits perfectly but after I put the helmet on, I have to slide my hands up inside the helmet to push the top of my ears back up, because the helmet folds them down. Once it's on, the M1 is supremely comfortable, light and effortless to wear.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 6:10 pm

Yes, the Schuberth M1 has now evolved into what is now called the M1 Pro. It still looks pretty much the same apart from the chromed Schuberth exhaust vent and comms plug at the rear of the helmet have now gone. Of course the main upgrades are inside the helmet, the visor mechanism, and there's a new comms set up which I don’t know that much about.

There was a photo of it today in an email newsletter I regularly get from a German motorcycle accessories company. I didn't take much notice and it looks it fits inside the M1 Pro like the one I have installed in my Schuberth E1. Having it clamped on the side would be a backwards step for Schuberth,
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 7:23 pm

"Yes, the Schuberth M1 has now evolved into what is now called the M1 Pro."

According to Schuberth's comparison, the new comm system for M1 Pro (SC1M) also fits the M1.

New and improved features are FM radio, four intercom participants vs. two, a remote control unit and music sharing. Nothing in that list makes me regret buying the SRC instead of SC1M, but your mileage may vary.

pdf comparison of comm systems: https://www.schuberth.com/EN_Vergleich_KommSysteme.pdf
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:03 am

For Delray-----I suggest you cut your windshield down so you can see. Looks to me like you are looking thru it.....I find nice to see what you might hit----looking thru doesw not work safely in rain/fog/dust, etc. or into headlites at night.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:42 am

"I suggest you cut your windshield down so you can see. Looks to me like you are looking thru it"

Happily, my normal sitting position puts my eyes about two inches above the screen. I can see clearly or slouch down to avoid rain. I loathe riding in rain. Unless I'm within a few miles of home, I will seek cover and wait it out.

Part of the reason for that is in South Florida, because there's so much water present, any random rain can suddenly take on Biblical proportions. You can be soaked to the bone in thirty seconds, as if you had jumped fully-clothed into a swimming pool. No thanks.

I appreciate your suggestion. Pretty sure it was you saying a similar thing in a different thread that made me start sitting up straight to see over the screen. I realized with my eyeglasses, sun visor, helmet visor and windscreen, that's four pieces of plastic between me and reality.

The Schuberth helps a lot. The clarity is unbelievable. I still find myself tapping the visor to make sure it's down.

It also helped that I learned to start cleaning the GIVI screen with water and microfiber towels (and Lemon Pledge sometimes), so the screen has remained swirl-free and like-new. I was using a quality cleaner (Dr. Meguiar's), but almost any solvent will leave marks.

Last edited by Delray on Wed May 29, 2019 7:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 7:06 am

Protect All leaves windshields very clear in my experience
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Man you are the best. I did not know Cardo had a bone induction SRC   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 11:44 am

I will look into all you sent. You are the best.

I am loosing some hearing and I think bone induction may be a good way to go although I love my UClear Plus really good.
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Following conversation about the proper height of windshield   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 11:56 am

John Grinsel in your reply to Delrey, you suggested he cut down the height of his windshield.

I think my windshield is too low. Where would you, or anyone else, suggest the top of the windshield? As I am riding along, if I bend down to put the top of my helmet in line with the top of the windshield, I get a noticeable decrease in wind noise.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm

"I will look into all you sent ... bone induction may be a good way to go."

My first reaction to hearing the Aftershokz bone conduction was, "How can the sound be so fantastic? They're not even in my ear!" My unit arrives Friday and I am excited.

Apparently, they're also great for privacy. My son (owns a pair for doing triathlons) said you can stand three feet from another person with the volume up high and they can't hear a thing. Amazing product.

He gave me the promotional code EXPERTVOICE and that reduced the price by $30 and got me free shipping. If you're going to buy a pair, give that code a shot.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 12:21 pm

dencart2 wrote:
John Grinsel in your reply to Delrey, you suggested he cut down the height of his windshield.

I think my windshield is too low. Where would you, or anyone else, suggest the top of the windshield? As I am riding along, if I bend down to put the top of my helmet in line with the top of the windshield, I get a noticeable decrease in wind noise.

Ideas? Suggestions?

You shouldn't be looking thru the windshield. Your sightline should be just over the top of the windshield. IMHO you are inviting disaster by looking thru the windshield in the rain. Better off having a good helmet and faceshield AND using earplugs. My 2¢. YMMV

Tim
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
dencart2 wrote:

Ideas? Suggestions?

You shouldn't be looking thru the windshield. Your sightline should be just over the top of the windshield. IMHO you are inviting disaster by looking thru the windshield in the rain. Better off having a good helmet and faceshield AND using earplugs. My 2¢. YMMV

Tim

Tim,
What is the difference if my windshield has rain drops as opposed to my clear face shield? I tend to raise my shield when anticipating rain.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 5:01 pm

Difference is with windshield so you can look over---wind may blow water off faceshield. Or really bad rain, raise helmet shield and wind moving over may allow clear vision ahead....I speak from over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles-----ride some more and you will understand....in all weathers.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 5:19 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Difference is with windshield so you can look over---wind may blow water off faceshield. Or really bad rain, raise helmet shield and wind moving over may allow clear vision ahead....I speak from over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles-----ride some more and you will understand....in all weathers.

Thanks John,
Hard to rack up miles here on Honolulu. Hopefully this July will get my other Swing in Idaho and do some traveling. Only it two weeks to travel and visit my daughter and son-in-law. May go into Canada for a few days.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 5:36 pm

I used to end up raising the visor of my Arai SZ open face helmet in the rain because for a top of the line helmet it had poor rubber rain seals around brow level. That caused moisture to form on the inside of visor and it would mist up. So I'd have to ride along with raindrops hitting my face, and even behind a screen and wearing specs I'd end up with strained and reddened eyes. No fun at all on unfamiliar roads or at night with headlight glare and reflections off wet road surfaces making things even worse.

This was done out of necessity and it spoiled what was otherwise an excellent touring helmet.

Now with the Schuberth M1 open face (and it's predecessor the J1) closing the visor moves it down and firmly back against the rain seals, so there's no moisture ingress. There's a little misting when you first start riding in cold or wet weather until the colder air clears things. I also fitted a Pinlock inner visor early on so I can and have ridden all day in the rain without any misting or visibility problems.

The combination of screen height and wind deflector keep rain on my visor to a minimum, so I never have to wipe the visor, and the occasional head movement left out of the screens coverage blows away any raindrops. It's pretty similar with my Schuberth adventure helmet too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Schuberth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schuberth!   Schuberth! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Schuberth!
Page 1 of 1