Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2007 Swing 600 for sale, all the trimmings, near Cardiff, Wales.
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby RarestRX Today at 5:58 pm

» HELP - Front brake lever locking up!
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby Lost it Today at 6:32 am

» Cleaning the brake calipers
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby Lost it Today at 6:32 am

» New SW owner!
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Today at 1:26 am

» My journey to the SilverWing
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Yesterday at 5:54 am

» Pair of wheels with good hoops
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby Siataukreg Yesterday at 4:15 am

» Brake pads
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby Lost it Yesterday at 4:15 am

» Queries for site administrator/s
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby Faston Bulbous Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:50 pm

» Wiring up Spotlights
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:53 pm

» Planning on a ride this July into Canada
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeby Crowen Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2016-03-25

DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) Empty
PostSubject: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 6:34 am

Does anyone (no names, no pack drill, Meldrew!) have a DennisB type satnav mount they'd sell me?

Thanks in anticipation.

John
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Site Admin
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1255
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Not sure if a system like this would work for you but I used a Ram Mount to mount my MP3 player between the handle bars. I suppose it could be adapted to just about anything. I used extra flat washers to bring the ball mount up far enough so that it wouldn't crack the tupperware when tightened.
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) Mount111
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) Mount210
DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) Mount311
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Site Admin
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1255
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 5:08 pm

This is a photo of the back side where I used small bolts and nuts to secure it. The whole setup doesn't look like much but it holds my MP3 player securely without wobbling and bouncing around.

DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) Mount411

DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) Ram_mo10
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Dale, but I'm really after a DennisB type mount.

I currently have a Ram type mount, inherited from the previous owner of the bike, which accommodates my Garmin satnav.  

It is mounted above the speedo etc., which is excellent for visibility (don't have to lower your eyes far from the road), but is not bolted to anything very solid (which would be very challenging to achieve in that location) so the satnav bounces around somewhat if left to its own devices.

In practice I have that tamed, by judicious insertion of some short pieces of foam pipe insulation wedged between the wind screen and the satnav/mount.  

However, this does not project the degree of engineering and aesthetic elegance that I aspire to. I also can't help feeling that, in its own small way, it tends to let the down the entire international Silverwing brother and sisterhood.  Wink

Therefore I am hoping that some kind member of that august fellowship will sell me the DennisB type mount they longer have need for.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Easyrider

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 4:26 am

Just make your own from 1/4 aluminum flat stock. That is what I did. Dennis used appliance epoxy gloss black spray paint. You would have to get tubing spacers to raise the mount above the handle bar plastic. I used several washers. Use the ball mount with a flat base that has holes on either end. I used a short 2 inch extension that connects to the ball mount, and to my GPS holder with a ball.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 5:04 am

The sat nav mount I bought from DennisB included a RAM ball I couldn't use as it had just a small amount of thread on it, and I replaced it with another RAM ball with a longer thread so I could tighten a nut onto it. Apart from that it works very well considering the overall weight of my sat nav/GPS set up of Garmin Zūmo and holder, locking Touratech cradle, and whichever length RAM arm and locking knob I opt for.

I'll sell mine as I no longer have a use for it, as my Forza has a centrally mounted RAM ball I installed and has a removable handlebar cover over it when not in use.

If I remember correctly, Dennis was selling them for $45 back in the the day, and there was still interest acquiring one long after he stopped making them.

I've no idea of what a good selling price would be, but I'm open to offers.

Which reminds me, I got the postage price of my Honda FSM last week, it's £6.50 1st Class, and £4.00 2nd Class. That's for Cover up to £50.00 and signature on delivery.
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 6:48 am

Hi Meldrew.

I've no idea on price either.  $45 = c£35, add something for inflation, deduct something for second-hand.  

Say £60 plus postage?  (I will be up your way sometime, so might be able to collect, but currently don't know when.)
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 8:19 am

'No answer' came the stern reply. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 8:47 am

Seadog wrote:
 (I will be up your way sometime, so might be able to collect, but currently don't know when.)

... and I don't either. The sat nav mount won't fit in the padded bag I got weighed with the FSM in it.

Plus my preferences have been set up to neither receive or send messages.

I just thought fair enough I'll wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi Meldrew,

I'm confused.

I am not clear what you are waiting for.

I don't know what the FSM, or its packaging, has to do with it. (It was Firewall who was going to buy that from you - see separate thread.)

Why don't you temporarily enable private messages, and send me one with your phone number or email address, and we can discuss posting or collection? You can then turn private messages off again.
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 5:37 pm

Still waiting for clarification/reply from Meldrew. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)   DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)
Page 1 of 1