Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clearview SPORT wind shield

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Clearview SPORT wind shield Empty
PostSubject: Clearview SPORT wind shield   Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:17 am

Hello fellow SWingsters,

I have been looking at options to reduce the noise of the standard windscreen on my SWing. I can't wear a full-face helmet (Shoie something or other) because its too noisy. I got a Nolan open-face and that's not too bad but not perfect.

I don't like the idea of a taller screen, particularly when it rains. So the options I think I like are:

• Laminar Lip; or
  • Clearview SPORT (10") screen.
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Clearview Sport screen and what they think about it. I used to ride a naked bike so the screen height ought not be an issue. It certainly looks nice.

Clearview SPORT wind shield Motorcycle_windshields_4615f

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Clearview SPORT wind shield   Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 6:29 am

Peter,

I like it - I don't have one, but I think the look is really attractive.

I understand the desire to eliminate the noise. I think that is why most have gone to a taller aftermarket wind screen. I do not think the sport screen will help in reducing the noise. I also understand the unwillingness to have a screen that is too tall, especially for the problems presented with rain.

The laminar Lip seems to be the best compromise. But for me the layered look while effective at managing air flow just looks a bit odd.

The SAENG Micro Swirl Edging is an option: http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80 Bernardo had some success with a variation on the SAENG wind management system: http://tinyurl.com/ylbztes, maybe he'll chime in.

All that said, I ride with a stock wind screen and use ear plugs to defeat the noise. The wind buffeting does not bother me. I recall speaking one day with an Acura driver, she was complaining about wind noise. The car was really great and she said it was amazingly quiet. But, around 95 mph the wind noise was fairly obvious. Sometimes a moving vehicle, especially at speed is not quite as quiet as the lounge chair in the living room. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Clearview SPORT wind shield   Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 10:06 am

pja wrote:

I don't like the idea of a taller screen, particularly when it rains. So the options I think I like are:

• Laminar Lip; or
  • Clearview SPORT (10") screen.

Another option may be the new Givi windshield.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/new-givi-adjustable-screen-coming-soon-t1080.htm#9077

pja wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Clearview Sport
screen and what they think about it. I used to ride a naked bike so the
screen height ought not be an issue. It certainly looks nice.

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=23929#pid23929

I would imagine you could simply remove your windshield and testdrive without your windshield and that would closely simulate the sport windshield ... which would be an inexpensive test.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Clearview SPORT wind shield   Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 am

I have done both. I really like the look of the SW with the sport screen on! I have also begun some long(er) distance touring and like the benefits of the laminar lip.

(opinion) Sport screen: Like you said same effect as naked bike. Great look and the added breeze in the hot temps is welcome. However when I hit the superslab I like the added protection that even the stock shield provides.

Laminar (copy) mod: I agree with Dale and think the layered look is odd. It is effective at reducing noise and adds additional rain deflection in bad wx.

I had a spare SW windscreen that I used to complete both projects. I measured what I needed for the lip and cut my material. The last cut was to round off the bottom section. I fastened the lip with 1" industrial velcro along the (side) edges so it was adustable up 3 1/2" or (level) with the shield. If I can find the pix I will post them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clearview SPORT wind shield   Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 5:06 pm

I am using the GT small from Clearview. It is termed a 22 " and measured one inch above the OEM. I also have a Laminar Lip mounted on the screen about 1" above the top of the screen This combo seems to work for me while allowing one to look Over the screen rather than thru it. It still gives the in-the-wind feel that I would miss with a taller screen. BTW, I think that the sport model would require one to assume the sport bike riding position in order to receive any sort of wind or noise protection. I also wear a Shoei X eleven lid with ear plugs every time. I am about 5' 10" for info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clearview SPORT wind shield   Clearview SPORT wind shield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clearview SPORT wind shield
Page 1 of 1