Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!

Go down 
+17
Delray
hotwings
"Hi Yo"
tinman
DaveR
The Scootist
SmoothSailing
bigbird
armelão
DenGraham
masscoot
ronjr009
Cosmic_Jumper
tankyuong
jimjotel
honda_silver
JeffR
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! Empty
PostSubject: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, I just finished replacing my Mitshubitsi (?) belt, a Kevlar one, and installed the 21gr Dr Pulley sliders. I took it for a test ride, and I have to say, that I think the 21gr sliders are right there with the J. Costa. I had the 28gr sliders and decided to try the 21gr to see what they are like.

The rpms at highway speed, 70-80 mph indicated, are right where the rpm's were with the stock rollers so this isn't bad. The rpm's under this are about the same as the J. Costa though, which keeps it in a really nice power band. At 80 mph my rpm's were at 6200 and with the 28 gr were at 6,000. I was expecting them to be higher with the 21 gr sliders.

But when I was coming off a ramp to get on the interstate, I was doing about 20 mph, and then I hit it with WOT I thought I was either about to take the front wheel off the ground or have my rear tire about to spin. It was that kind of feeling of power. It was only about a 10 mile ride so I have to get quite a few more miles on it but I really feel this mod, with the 21 gr sliders is equal too or maybe a bit better then the J. Costa. But I want to get more riding time before I compare them in that way. The J. Costa is a great improvement in performance and it is hard to believe that these 21 gr sliders are about equal. So let me get some miles on it and I will give a better comparison.

I will post pics of the new belt and the belt I just took off. I think I could have gone quite a few more miles but I just don't like to chance things. I'm 50 now and I just don't wait until things break or go flat anymore. In my younger years I would be riding on slicks but that was then. I will give a better update after some miles and also post the pics later today.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:54 pm

JeffR wrote:
Well, I just finished replacing my Mitshubitsi (?) belt, a Kevlar one, and installed the 21gr Dr Pulley sliders. I took it for a test ride, and I have to say, that I think the 21gr sliders are right there with the J. Costa.

The Dr Pulley sliders should last a lot longer than the J Costa pin too!.
Back to top Go down
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 8:41 pm

ive got a 2008 sw that i purchased new in march of this year, it now has 18500 miles on it. with riding solo or with wife, at 80 mph i tach 60 and i am runnig completely stock except for givi windshield and coocase tail trunk. right now with money an issue, i think ill leave it stock. what change did honda make between 07 and 08?
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 9:19 pm

jimjotel wrote:
what change did honda make between 07 and 08?

O2 sensor added
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Shoulda waited instead of rushing into buying a Costa. maybe I'll switch after the pins wear out.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Jeff

Are you running a Darkside tire?

Did you use Blaster Dry Lube on these new sliders?

It'll be interesting to see if your 'V' light comes on prematurely with this change.

That happened to me when I changed over to 21 gm Sliders, which prompted me to change over to an HiT Clutch to eliminate clutch slip vs increased engine speeds. That eliminated the 'V' light issue. Later I changed to a Sumitomo rear tire which also reduced operating rpm's. Think of the Sumitomo as "Darkside Overdrive".

Where did you get the 21 gm Sliders? Scooter Trap only lists the 28 gm Sliders? The last I heard Dr Pulley stuff had been on back order for a very long time? While I have a few sets of Sliders and light weight Rollers which came with the HiT Clutch Kit, I'm sure that other posters here would appreciate knowing where to get their own.

FWIW I have one set of 26 gm, and one set of 24 gm Dr Pulley Rollers for sale. Brand new, unused, in factory sealed boxes. PM me if interested.

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia

Tim
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey Jeff,

I was wondering how it was going with those 21 gram sliders. Wow, that is pretty high praise for something as simple as a $55.00 of sliders to be able to deliver comparable performance to the J. Costa. I'll be looking forward to reports on more extensive testing and RPM's at given speeds compared to stock and 28 grams as well. I hope the weather can warm up soon!
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 8:18 pm

A friend mentioned that he mixed the 21g and the 28g with great results. I am very pleased with the 28g and will try a set of 21g in the spring...whenever that decideds to get here Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Tim,

I am not running the darkside tire but I may look into it. I have to call up the shops to see if they will fit it for me.

As for the 'dry lube"...yes, I did use that again this time. My V light went off a few times with the J. Costa but it didn't really bother me since I knew that my belt was in good shape. But I'll see if it happens with these sliders. The rpm's really do go up fast when WOT though.

Ron,

The sliders are pretty comparable to the J. Costa in terms of performance. The rpm's seem to be about the same as the Costa when accelerating but the J. Costa ran a couple of hundred rpm's lower at highway speed compared to the sliders.

Masscoot,

I am going to try these 21gr for awhile to get a better idea of what the SWing is like with them. But I can see doing a 50/50 split with the 21gr and 28gr. I went for about a 80 mile ride today..which was a mix of flat surfaces and smaller mountains and it ran great but it was a little bit buzzier than the 28 gr sliders. It may be because of the new belt. I think I remember it being a little bit buzzier when I replaced the last one for a couple of hundred miles.

The SWing was still smooth but not "buttery smooth" like with the 28 gr sliders. But I will probably keep the 21 grams in for a couple of months and then do the 50/50 mix of the sliders. I will say that the few times I got on it, on the interstate, that this thing really goes. I was doing about 60 mph and then gave it WOT and I was up to 90 so fast it was impressive. I'm going to experiment with the different mixes of weights to see what they are like. I just like to experiment and have fun with the SWing. I will even try 6-28 gr and 2-21 gr to see what that is like.

I will give updates everyso often when I keep track of all the rpm's at different speeds.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Jeff,
I have been out of sorts for a few weeks as I am recovering from surgery for 5 bypasses. All is well except I cannot drive my car because of the air bag. I'm trying to talk the doctor in letting me drive the Wing since it doesn't have an air bag. So far, he is not buying it.
I helped my friend buy a Wing and he tried to order the 21 gr Dr Pulley sliders. I have a couple of questions:
First, I presume they fit in the original variator?
Second, do you happen to know the Dr Pulley part number for the 21 gr?
Last, Matt at ScooterTrap is not selling them anymore. Do you know another source?
Thanks in advance for any help.
>> Dennis G (not B) Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:21 pm

DenGraham wrote:
Last, Matt at ScooterTrap is not selling them anymore. Do you know another source?

http://www.unionmaterial.com

Contact button will send mail to unionltd@ms14.hinet.net
Back to top Go down
armelão
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
armelão

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Well, I just finished replacing my Mitshubitsi (?) belt, a Kevlar one, and installed

Whitch belt did you buy? A guy from forum here in portugal,told me that there is one car mitsubishi that mout´s the same belt that SW,is it true?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 8:13 pm

armelão wrote:
A guy from forum here in portugal,told me that there is one car mitsubishi that mout´s the same belt that SW,is it true?

I am not aware of an alternate Mitsubishi belt ... though I would be interested if you find more information.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Where did you get the 21gram sliders .Scooter trap offer 28G but are out of stock .
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Excell wrote:
Where did you get the 21gram sliders .Scooter trap offer 28G but are out of stock .

The new distributor, BuggypartsNW, sells only 28g and 26g. You can email him to see if they still make 21g.
Here's the link:

http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop.browse&category_id=32
Back to top Go down
SmoothSailing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SmoothSailing

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Just adding more info:
Here is a link to purchase Dr. Pulley Slider Weight 28x20 for 400/600cc

https://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php/dr-pulley-slider-weight-28x20-for-600cc.html
Weight options: 21g, 22g, 24g, 26, 28g
SKU (part# for Buggy Parts): UNI-SR-28X20-24g
Price before tax/shipping: $54.95

I just bought the 24g to try and fix low-speed vibration issue, will report back on results after install.

Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! Slider10
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm

I think you will really like the 24g sliders. The 22g are even better... Smile
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Hello: I just changed the belt on my 2005 Silverwing and the v light came on after about 50 smiles. Was wondering if I need to replace the face plates, boss etc. I have 51000 smiles coming up on it now. No, I have not checked the boss for wear yet or the plates. I have had the 26 g Dr Pulley sliders in it for about 40,000 smiles. How long do they last? Does anyone have a new set of 2 g Dr Pulley sliders for sale?
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:36 pm

That should read 24 g Dr Sliders for sale? Also if not what vender has them now?
Back to top Go down
SmoothSailing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SmoothSailing

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:44 pm

DaveR, if you end up buying them from vender:

Here is a link to purchase Dr. Pulley Slider Weight 28x20 for 400/600cc

https://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php/dr-pulley-slider-weight-28x20-for-600cc.html
Weight options: 21g, 22g, 24g, 26, 28g
SKU (part# for Buggy Parts): UNI-SR-28X20-24g
Price before tax/shipping: $54.95
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 7:27 pm

DaveR wrote:
Hello: I just changed the belt on my 2005 Silverwing and the v light came on after about 50 smiles.  Was wondering if I need to replace the face plates, boss etc.  I have 51000 smiles coming up on it now. No, I have not checked the boss for wear yet or the plates.  I have had the 26 g Dr Pulley sliders in it for about 40,000 smiles.  How long do they last?  Does anyone have a new set of 2 g Dr Pulley sliders for sale?  

I've had my Dr Pulley Sliders in for over 70,000 miles and they show no signs of wear. I measured them with a micrometer and they are still at factory spec.

It could be that you may have been a little too aggressive accelerating with your new Sliders and that triggered the "V" light. If the RPMs exceed the rear wheel speed too much the ECM "sees" that as a worn belt (too much slip) and turns on the light. But as long as you know you installed the belt correctly (arrows facing forward) and there was nothing obviously wrong with the pulley surfaces and you torqued the bolt to ~75 lb-ft, then reset the light and relax and enjoy the ride.

Tim
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 pm

I know the belt was installed with the arrows going in the right direction and was torqued to 78 lb ft. I have had the Dr Pulley sliders for the last couple of belt changes. They are 26 g sliders and I would like to have 24 g sliders to see how they work. How can you tell when the cv plates need to be changed? I have the manual and do not see specs on it. I did order a new "boss" and plates. I think it is like you said, maybe just maybe I was too aggressive accelerating with the new belt I installed and it triggered the light to come on. I reset it and so far, it has not come back on. I do like the Dr Pulley sliders but do get a light rattle from some place down their. . .
Thanks Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 am

I had to replace my driven pulley when a grove set in that made the V light come on constantly. All went away after replacing the drive pulley.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

tinman wrote:
MU:P I had to replace my driven pulley when a grove set in that made the V light come on constantly. All went away after replacing the drive pulley.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You replaced the Driven Pulley but the problem was resolved, "after replacing the Drive Pulley"?

Aside from which pulley it was, which half of the pulley did you replace? Or did you replace the entire pulley as an assembly complete with bearings in the Driven Pulley, or as individual pulley sheaves for the Drive Pulley?

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 10:10 am

Sorry bad choice of words,(age thing) LOL.  want to say the drive  pulley .The inner and outer. cost about $ 200.00 for the set. Now have 50 k kl on the new replacement.
Back to top Go down
SmoothSailing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SmoothSailing

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 pm

SmoothSailing wrote:
Just adding more info:

I just bought the 24g to try and fix low-speed vibration issue, will report back on results after install.

Fixed the vibration issue! Vibration was pretty bad at start-from-a-stop. Feels great now, and quicker pick up. Thanks to everyone on this forum for the suggestion!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 4:39 pm

I replaced my drive belt cost about 150 dollars. After I replaced it, the V light came on again so re-set the light ordered the two front drive pulleys and Boss. The V light never came back on so returned the pulleys and boss. So far so good! I have 52000 smiles on this 2005.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Spoke to soon! Took the parts back and sure enough the V light came back on. Will check in the morning to see if they shipped the parts back yet or still have them.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 11:18 pm

DaveR wrote:
Spoke to soon!  Took the parts back and sure enough the V light came back on. Will check in the morning to see if they shipped the parts back yet or still have them.

Murphy's Law strikes again. frustrated
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 11:06 pm

Yea, but I did get the parts back and put them in this afternoon. Seems O.K. now.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 11:51 am

I do hope that changing those parts resolves the issue. If so then I'm very curious about what the wear pattern or defects in those parts looks like.

Tim
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Guess I will find out. I could not see any real wear to the parts I replaced however after 52000 smiles, there has to be some. Tried to check old parts according to the shop manual so will see. Parts were $151. It does seem to be a little quieter but proof is in the pudding.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 6:29 am

My V light came on this weekend as I hit 24000klm on my 05. Was on a ride into the U.S.
Stopped at a Harley/Honda dealer to take a break and look at the new rides. Priced a drive belt just for kicks- $150US.....ouch! That's almost $200CDN. I guess the light will be on for a while Smile .
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Well, I have ridden a little over 100 smiles since I changed out the drive "Boss" and complete pulley assembly. I did not change out the sliders guess they wear for a long time. Anyway "no" V light so far!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2023 8:36 am

Adding a little to the knowledge-base of a long dead thread ....

I bought a 2004 Silver Wing last week that came with 19-gram Dr. Pulley sliding weights and insert pieces. It also came with a Malossi variator and sets of 21- and 24-gram rollers (a fire sale from a Brazilian engineer who had to move back to his country in a week).

First, I put the variator and 24-gram rollers on the bike, replacing stock 28-gram rollers. Impressive acceleration but the engine revved high for my taste, around 4,000 rpms at 40 mph, 5,000 at 50 mph, and 5,500 at 60 mph. I prefer low-revving engines, possibly spoiled by owning three Gen 2.0 Burgman 650's that reliably showed 3,000 rpms at 50 mph.

Not satisfied, I tried the 19-gram Dr. Pulley weights. Even more impressive acceleration, super quick, but slightly higher revs. I got home and decided to solve the issue by ordering 28-gram Dr. Pulley sliding weights. I briefly entertained 26-grams but decided to go with what the Japanese engineers intended.

FWIW, looks like 26-gram sliding weights are most popular. The website, partsforscooters, had four 19-gram sets in stock, twelve 28-gram sets and a whopping eighty-two 26-gram sets. Clearly that is what most people are buying.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2023 9:54 am

What… you’re not testing the Malossi variator?

Or maybe you are and I didn’t understand your post. I haven’t had my coffee yet.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2023 10:14 am

I put the Malossi variator on the bike right away and was trying out different rollers and sliders, both Malossi and Dr. Pulley.

The Malossi variator was a constant in my "testing" -- which is very elementary: 1) Does it go faster or fast enough? and 2) Does the engine rev at annoying (to me) levels?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2023 4:32 pm

You can take this advice "with a grain of salt", 1st, Malossi variators are engineered/designed/cut to work with Malossi "Round" rollers. 2nd DRP sliders are engineered/designed to replace "OEM" rollers. Installing DRP sliders in a Malossi variator could negate the performance cut of the ramps and cause hesitation and/or flat spots, plenty written about it, also damage to sliders is possible by the edge of ramp plate, because sliders can push beyond the edge of ramp plate, similar/common issue is found on Burgman's 400, where you "must" file the sharp edge of ramp plate or it will damage sliders.

You could try your Honda oem rollers in the Malossi variator for a reference point, you may be surprised !! Malossi has been making performance scooter parts for a "Minute", they don't make sliders for a reason scratch
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2023 5:09 pm

"DRP sliders are engineered/designed to replace "OEM" rollers."

Interesting info. I am waiting for the mailman to deliver my 28-gram DRP sliders. I already have the four insert pieces.

What I may do, assuming your collected insight is right, is put the 28-gram DRP sliders in the OEM variator. I'll put the Malossi variator with 21- and 24-gram Malossi rollers and DRP 19-gram sliders up for sale, for a song. Someone out there will enjoy them.

Anecdotally, I haven't noticed any flat spots with DRP 19-gram sliders in the Malossi variator, or any difference from 24-gram Malossi rollers in the Malossi variator. With 19-gram DRP sliders in the Malossi variator, the bike is scary quick, literally a thrill ride. I just can't deal with revving at 4000 rpms at 30 mph (and proportionately higher). It annoys the daylights out of me. I like lower revs + calmer engines. The Malossi Wild Lion exhaust keeps it interesting at any speed.

Last edited by Delray on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2023 5:39 pm

I think I feel the same (one of the main reasons I’m running the 26gm sliders in the OEM variator is to lower the RPMs at highway speeds and maybe increase the acceleration just a bit). I’d like the SW to be faster (as compared to the ST1100s) but there’s only so much you’re going to get out of a 600cc scooter. I’m actually very satisfied with what I’ve done to it so far and speed wise, it suits me just fine.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 3:32 pm

Dr. Pulley 28-gram sliding roller weights arrived today. Installed them with the OEM variator. Result is ... normal Silver Wing performance. If I didn't have the Malossi Wild Lion exhaust, it would even have a standard lawnmower sound. I now have lower revs and my mpg's will improve. Still ....

I miss my 19-gram Dr. Pulley sliding weights! I'm happy to be revving at 500 rpm's less across the spectrum, but the 19-gram sliders literally turned my 19-year old Silver Wing into a thrill ride. Amazing acceleration.

Best combination may have been the Malossi variator with 24-gram Malossi rollers. Engine revved a bit higher but acceleration and mid-range power were vastly improved over the standard Wing. I may end up switching back to this; will live with 28-gram DRP's for awhile since I just dropped $66 on them.

Of note: Since i've now had 26- and 28-gram DRP sliding weights, I can clearly say 26-gram are the better choice. They offer a nice little boost of takeoff speed and mid-range power.

With all these changes, the Honda OEM variator holding tool has been an excellent investment. I bought one when the "universal holding tool" that came with this bike didn't universally work on a Silver Wing. OEM = Honda part # 07AMB-MCTA100 (“Drive Puller Holder”).
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 4:46 pm

Why not mix (alternate) those 19gm & 28gm sliders? That’d net you 23.5gm. That oughta be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 4:54 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Why not mix (alternate) those 19gm & 28gm sliders? That’d net you 23.5gm. That oughta be interesting.

Ooh, good idea! Very intriguing.

I've already noticed my interest in riding the Wing is diminished with 28-gram DRP sliders. Whereas with 19-gram I was ready to hop on and ride anywhere at the drop of a hat. It was fun.

23.5 DRP's with the OEM variator might be the perfect solution. Essentially the same as the Malossi variator and Malossi 24-gram rollers. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 9:28 am

After a few days with 28-gram Dr. Pulley sliding weights and the OEM variator, I am entirely content. The bike is nicely responsive for my needs. Part of that is due to the new Honda belt and new Malossi clutch I added. Also used some Emery cloth on the OEM clutch bell and they seem to be playing together well.

If anyone is interested in a set of Dr. Pulley 19-gram sliding weights for half price OR a Malossi variator and 21- or 24-gram rollers for half price, shoot me a PM. I will post them for sale in a few days.

Both have less than a gas tank's worth of use. Both will transform any Silver Wing into a freaking rocket.

Full disclosure: cost of this new thrill ride is 500 more rpm's across the board and slightly less mpg's ... which isn't bad for being able to say, "No way this is the same bike!" which I actually said.

The lighter weights are a blast. They're just not for me. (Although ...... astute readers may have noticed I am offering Malossi 21- OR 24-gram rollers with the variator, not both. That's because I'm going to keep one set of lighter rollers in case I feel like going "whee!" again)
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 10:13 am

Mike, just a thought, do you still have the Malossi Driven clutch plate spring? (the big white one).
That will hold it in a lower gearing for longer if you nail the throttle, but won't affect top end performance.
It's how I run mine, but with 26 DrPs, although I'm probably gonna get some 28G DrPs.

Just my pennies worth.

Be safe, be seen and heard!
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 10:21 am

JohnyC wrote:
Mike, just a thought, do you still have the Malossi Driven clutch plate spring? (the big white one).

Good idea and good knowledge. But I gave away the clutch spring, and its children, the little clutch springs, as a gift.

Installing it was beyond my mechanical ken (you have clearly forgotten more about Silver Wing mechanics than I will learn). I envisioned it launching from the clutch assembly into my eye socket, and to avoid that horror, determined that the six bolts needed to install the new clutch were more my speed.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 10:49 am

Just curious, do those Malossi variator rollers also fit our OEM variator? Our Honda roller weights measure 28mm diameter by 20mm wide.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 10:58 am

The Malossi white contra/torque spring (large one) is the best/cheap $20 mod I've have done to my Silverwing, I tried DRP sliders but did not like them, the spring gives you slightly better acceleration, eliminates the belt slap and allows CVT to operate/shift up and down better/smoother, the malossi white spring for the SW600 is designated as a "touring spring", is only 10-12% stiffer, but is also longer for more progressive action, it just enhances the oem one. BTW is one of the easiest torque springs to replace IME, my MPG still avg 50-55.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 11:07 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Just curious, do those Malossi variator rollers also fit our OEM variator? Our Honda roller weights measure 28mm diameter by 20mm wide.

Yes, the malossi rollers will work in oem variator, my previous comment was about the malossi variator is designed to use malossi rollers, not DRP sliders.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 11:23 am

Completely agree with zrx212 about the Malossi white spring being the best/cheapest mod for the Swing.
On a list of priority mods for a Swing I would place it joint first with the Power Plug(injection only), then 28g DrPulleys for the extra top end/cruise speeds.
This is assuming the clutch is in good working order, otherwise it will need a new bell and clutch shoes and springs or bell and Malossi fly clutch/ DrPulley hit clutch.

just my thoughts.

Be safe, be seen and heard!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!   Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just changed the belt and installed new 21gr Dr Pulley sliders !!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next