Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Jacking up Swing

Go down 
+3
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
hondacurt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
hondacurt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2019-03-14

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Maybe someone can help. I've got a motorcycle lift that you roll under the bike and pump up by foot (kind of like the cheaper HF lifts). I'm wondering if it's safe to jack on the skid plate by the center stand and forward on the crossbar? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 3:35 pm

There is a subframe to which the lower edges of the floor skirts attach. See item 6 below. There is adequate support to lift the scoot if you center the lift below the nose of the seat / fuel door hinge. HTH

Jacking up Swing Image11
Back to top Go down
hondacurt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Many thanks. I found that point, but the other leg of the jack is positioned by the rear of the skid plate near the center stand. I would think that it's pretty stout there from the looks of it. I used to jack my 1800 Goldwing from near the rear center stand and bottom of the engine. As far as I can tell, not harming any plastics, but have just raised it off the ground a couple of inches to test out. Guess all that can go wrong is the bike spits in two. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 7:44 am

Smile mine didn't split, don't believe your's will either.
Back to top Go down
hondacurt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks, Oldwing.I guess nothing duct tape, twine, and wire can't fix.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 9:13 am

LOL, and Gorilla glue.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 9:14 am

And you can get duct tape in various colors and patterns too. This way you can really class up any mishaps that might happen and tell people you planned it that way.
Back to top Go down
hondacurt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 am

All I've got is black duct tape and can't afford different colors at this time. New tires, clutch pads, rollers, and belt have taken its toll. Ex autobody painter so I'll figure something out. Does Gorilla glue come in colors?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 pm

I don't think it comes in colors but I suppose a bit of food coloring might work.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 12:45 am

Let's not bad mouth the HF bike lift. I have one I've used for several years now. I've had several Silverwings of friends on it, my BMW GT scooter as well as a Harley of a neighbor and two Goldwings on it. Worsks great.

I added side boards that clip on the sides of the lift so that I don't need any help to load a big bike safely on it. Otherwise it's difficult with a big wide bike. As you start up on the lift with the front wheel the bike rises to the point where your feet cant reach the floor it's rather dicey. With the side boards I can keep my feet solidly down to ease the bike up on the lift. Once its on I just lift up the rails and raise the life.
Back to top Go down
hondacurt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:58 am

Exavid, I meant the lift you use that is like a roll around car jack, not the heavy duty HF lift. Wish I had space for one. As is, the roll around works, though not as stable as I would like. I used three pallets lined up with 3/4" plywood on top for a ride up stand for my Burgman that worked , but ties up most of my space in the garage. It worked well for changing out tires, as I could remove one of the pallets to remove a tire. Might just go back to that.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 12:51 pm

hondacurt Smile my first " lift " for my G'Wing was similar, made from cement blocks, ride up put on centerstand and remove the blocks needed for access.
Back to top Go down
hondacurt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 1:13 pm

I can't imagine moving cement blocks, pallets are bad enough! I've used this jack on my 1800 Wing and was pretty stable with tie downs, but on Swing, it just doesn't balance very well and tie down places seem to be more limited. Fine on the back grab holds, but tying down the front is problematic.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 3:04 pm

I had two HF bike jacks in my old shop where I refurbished neglected Goldwings. Never had a problem shifting them around the shop with that jack.

I just looked at them on HF's site and noticed they are quite a bit higher priced now. I think they were $49 when I bought my two. Chinese stuff has risen in price even before the President announced tariffs on Chinese products.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lbs-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2019-04-13

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 pm

Exavid, you were or are on the BMW scooter forum, correct? I had a 2013 c600 sport, traded on a 2014 BMW f800 gt, found out wifey much prefers pillion on a scooter, back in the market! Paul
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 pm

I do go over there now and then. I currently have my C650GT for sale. It's great scooter but with my age problems I want to go back to a Silverwing. They are a lot easier to handle because of their lesser weight and height. I have a local SW in mind if I sell my GT before he sells his SW. I've had some interest in my scoot but no money yet.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm

I have a an older Craftsman motorcycle-atv jack that works great. Like a floor jack with 2 bars to even the load and locks at different heights. Harbor Freight sells similar type but have no idea if they are same quality.

Can lift entire bike or just front with no damage to lower plastic parts. It's very stable.
Rear is easy just use center stand. Front put it on center stand and jack it to lift front. I'm replacing front tire and it's on jack now. Pulling forks later and changing oil should be back together by weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jacking up Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jacking up Swing   Jacking up Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jacking up Swing
Page 1 of 1