Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Sliders weights for my Voyager trike

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Sliders weights for my Voyager trike Empty
PostSubject: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Now that all maintenance is done on my 2004 Swing trike, should I be considering a slider weight replacement? It currently has the original rollers. With the additional weight of the trike, should lighter slider weight be better?
I'm thinking 22g sliders.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 3:25 pm

I would stick with fresh OEM sliders/rollers and Belt. trike you are asking drive train to do something it was never designed for----older bike probably needs fresh belt anyway. I speak from over 90,000 miles of SilverWing miles on 2 new SilverWings.....and never walked.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm

I put 26 gram sliders in mine when it was still a two wheeler and haven't changed them. I agree that the belt does have more work to do so I don't try Popping Wheelies with it. I take off rather calmly but accelerate good once it gets rolling. I'm still going to change the belt at recommended intervals but not going to change the sliders.

I suppose it's something like a car with a standard tranny. If you pop the clutch and try to "peel out" at every intersection the clutch and tranny aren't going to last all that long before repairs are needed.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 7:25 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I would stick with fresh OEM sliders/rollers  and Belt.   trike you are asking drive train to do something it was never designed for----older bike probably needs fresh belt anyway.  I speak from over 90,000 miles of SilverWing miles on 2 new SilverWings.....and never walked.

John,
If you read my prior posts you would have read that I just installed a new belt a couple of weeks ago. That is when I discovered that the trike had the original rollers with a lot of flat spots. It was to late to order replacement. Due to the extra weight of the trike, I was trying to gather information from existing trike owners if they changed their weights. Or are thinking of changing them.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 pm

How much does the trike kit weigh? What are tire diameters compared to stock rear tire?
Is the engine speed similar to your other SW? There are many factors to consider.

Sliders all have the same shape its just RPM when they fully move out. I have 26G work fine but not a trike. 22G will help with acceleration work fine at highway speeds.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
How much does the trike kit weigh? What are tire diameters compared to stock rear tire?
Is the engine speed similar to your other SW? There are many factors to consider.

Sliders all have the same shape its just RPM when they fully move out. I have 26G work fine but not a trike. 22G will help with acceleration work fine at highway speeds.  

The kit weighs 195 lbs including the two 13inch chrome wheels and tires.
Engine speed is similar on a flat surface. Gas mileage is down to around 40 MPG. I have the GIVI AF214 screen which is wider. I ride two up. I was thinking that the lighter weights will help accelerating from a standing start, NOT to do jack rabbit starts. The lighter weight may put less stress on the drive components.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 pm

That's not very heavy. A large passenger could weigh that much. SW has a very low loaded weight rating but most bikes do and are often pushed beyond that. 3 wheels can handle that and a passenger.

Belt is the most stressed part. Go with the 22G gas mileage might improve compared to worn rollers and a steady throttle hand.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 pm

For added load...like sidecar...rules used to be 20% lowering of overall gearing. I assume 3 wheel conversion/training wheels provide probably more drag than loaded sidecar..... but will rollers alone lower overall gearing? 40MPG is indicator to me, engine is working too hard.

I rode sidecar outfits for 40 years so have some experience in selecting proper overall gearing.

My idea, SilverWing as Trike or training wheel conversion, may be alright for simple around town riding---low annual mileage.....but serious long distance trips?? How about steering damper? different trail front fork. Braking?ABS? My idea is not to get killed or run out of control.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 am

My 2004 Swing has always been a trike. The PO had the kit installed for his wife when they purchased the bike new. The Swing handles the added weight just fine. I don't usually race off of the light, but it has a lot of reserve power if needed. Never felt any lack of power when touring.

UPDATE: Just ordered 22g sliders and sliding pieces through the promotion from Dr. pulley. Thanks Daniel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sliders weights for my Voyager trike   Sliders weights for my Voyager trike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sliders weights for my Voyager trike
Page 1 of 1