Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest

Go down 
+4
Foxy
Loosemarbles
ItBeMe
twdotsonjr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
twdotsonjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
twdotsonjr

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-07-31

Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest Empty
PostSubject: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 8:29 pm

As I mentioned in my Intro, I ordered a Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest and installed it this afternoon. VERY pleased. Looks great and Passenger is now a happy camper!
I, of course, woke up in a cold sweat, last night, contemplating drilling holes in my newly-acquired bike, but as described in this Forum, the location for the holes is molded into the underside of the rack and even has indentations already punched in it, to make centering your drill bit a breeze.
The one-page, photo-only instruction sheet was somewhat easy to figure out. My only gripe is that the size of the hole to be drilled was not indicated in the pictorial. Comparing bits to the size of the bolt, I started with a 1/4" bit (US SAE-sized), but quickly determined that a 5/16" bit was the better choice. Not sure if a 9/32" bit or an MM bit would have been an even better fit, because they were not available in my palette of drill bits.
I would have to rate this installation as "easy-peasy," even for one not so mechanically inclined.
Of course, 170 yards into the test ride, Passenger chimes in with, "You know, now I need an armrest and a sound system..."
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest Givi_t10
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest Givi_t12
Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest Givi_t11
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Thank You very much for posting this.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 8:34 pm

I think my Girlfriend would love this. Trouble is I have a top box on there and there ain't room for both, she has to lean on the top box cushion rest.

Sounds like your passenger needs a Goldwing but that's a whole different story....and bike

Stick with the SW, enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2018-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 3:07 am

[quote="Loosebearing"]I think my Girlfriend would love this. Trouble is I have a top box on there and there ain't room for both, she has to lean on the top box cushion rest.

Sounds like your passenger needs a Goldwing but that's a whole different story....and bike

Stick with the SW, enjoy the ride.[/quote

Is there no way that the top box base plate will move back some, so that the backrest can be fitted?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 4:02 am

It's quite surprising reading this, I'd have thought that the combination of passenger seat butt stop and top box padded backrest would be fine for a lady passenger as it's very similar set up to having that Givi backrest.

Mrs M who's been on a few long touring trips with me always said the seat and padded backrest on my Givi E55 more comfortable on long rides than the 650 Burgman with it's large OE passenger backrest, or with it removed and my Givi E52 and back rest fitted.
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 am

Meldrew wrote:
It's quite surprising reading this,  I'd have thought that the combination of passenger seat butt stop and top box padded backrest would be fine for a lady passenger as it's very similar set up to having that Givi backrest.

Mrs M who's been on a few long touring trips with me always said the seat and padded backrest on my Givi E55 more comfortable on long rides than the 650 Burgman with it's large OE passenger backrest, or with it removed and my Givi E52 and back rest fitted.

My wife had no particular complaints about the back pad on the Honda brand box on the SWing, on the one decent ride she took on it, said the back was comfortable enough, even though she now just wants to stick with going on the Goldwing only.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 11:43 am

The Givi TB19 backrest does fit with the Givi boxes; I have the backrest and an E52 box as I have had on all three of my Silverwings.

My (few) passengers have found the TB19 far more comfortable than the rest mounted on the box; they say the latter is too high up the back.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Yeah, I'm ginda getting all this. The backrest and the topbox would be great. My topbox comes close to the back of the seat so it would mean changing the topbox. My Girlie passenger seems happy as it is but I reckon the backrest would be a great improvement.

Something to think about for the future. Meanwhile, I would like to modify the rider's seat for a backrest myself !
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Have in mind that if you devise a rider's backrest it will probably shorten the passenger seat, causing the passenger to have to sit with legs further apart than usual.

I know from the experience with my first Silverwing; there's a picture of my Utopia backrest in my Album here.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 12:28 pm

The backrest is a pipe dream really, I'm happy with the SW as it is although I'm interested in a tunnel bag. How do I view your album MikeO. The tunnel bags I have checked out don't really appeal to me. I'd like to see how you're using a tank bag. Will it fit the SW?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Pretty cool. I might take a go at that. What's with the number plate?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 pm

It's a Belgian number-plate; I was living there at the time and bought the Silverwing from a Honda Dealer's in Ostend.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Cool, we ride to Belgium quite frequently as my girlfriend's Sister lives in Leuven. Often considered living there ourselves but this is all outside this forum. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 3:23 am

Very useful album of pictures there Mike O, I like your Utopia backrest, having had them on my last two Goldwings, I can vouch for how good they are, for both rider and passenger. I take it you had to order yours from the USA?
You have certainly done some good modifications to the Swing. Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 4:05 am

Thank you.
Yes, it came from the States and I managed to fit it myself; cutting the slot aged me 10 years!
I made a prop to hold up the seat rather than change the struts.

My current Silverwing has an adjustable Givi screen. I made the mistake with the Laminar Lip of not buying the 'ears'.

I have the same tunnel-bag system although sometime use a bigger one.

Not done the extra plug mod this time and manage with having the cubby lid slightly open as I don't often use my GPs these days.
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 am

MikeO wrote:
Thank you.
Yes, it came from the States and I managed to fit it myself; cutting the slot aged me 10 years!
I made a prop to hold up the seat rather than change the struts.

My current Silverwing has an adjustable Givi screen. I made the mistake with the Laminar Lip of not buying the 'ears'.

I have the same tunnel-bag system although sometime use a bigger one.

Not done the extra plug mod this time and manage with having the cubby lid slightly open as I don't often use my GPs these days.

That cut through the seat is a bit nerve wracking the first time, isn't it!! Lol. It was bad enough when I did my GL1500 one, but I was bricking it when I did the GL1800 with it's heated seat elements. But following the instructions and on line videos, it wasn't so bad in the end and well worth the effort, to have a single post backrest, which is better for the passenger.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 6:50 am

They say, 'Measure twice - cut once'.
I wore the tape-measure out!

As you suggest, the instructions were spot on.
I don't think I'll buy another one, though; I bought a Bikers Friend bag and when I can get it strapped on right I'll use it more often.
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

PostSubject: BACKREST FOR GIVI E52   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2021 12:43 pm

Meldrew wrote:
It's quite surprising reading this,  I'd have thought that the combination of passenger seat butt stop and top box padded backrest would be fine for a lady passenger as it's very similar set up to having that Givi backrest.

Good evening Meldrew. I also have the E52 (Monokey) already on the Swing and I now want to fit a backrest attached to it. I read that the E52 is no longer available, so my question is which backrest to fit? Can you please assist?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2021 6:44 am

I've no idea mate, I bought my Givi E52 a long time ago for a Yamaha YP250 Majesty I was riding at the time and the back rest was in with the purchase. But I've dug around on eBay and the backrest is the Givi E955. 

Looking back at Mrs M's comparison of riding passenger on the lardass Burgman 650 and the Silver Wing. It's a bit more complex than comparing the back rests on top boxes. 

The Burgman has a passenger seat a lot wider than the Silver Wings, and a large passenger back rest as OE. This has to be removed to fit a Givi Monorack for a top box.

The Silver Wing has a narrower passenger seat and a butt stop at the end of it. If you dig through some old Silver Wing/Burgman comparison topics you'll find it noted that ladies that have ridden passenger on both maxi scooters prefer the Silver Wings seat because unlike the Burgman  it isn’t such a stretch to the pillion foot rests.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2021 7:15 am

I added the Givi back rest last year. My wife feels so much more comfortable on the Silverwing now ...in that she won't slide off the back when I pull the wheelies ....LOL Now she will take even short rides with me !! Win-Win !! An investment well worth the cost.

Mike
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2021 7:30 am

I'm guessing: I suspect that the separate Givi backrest still fits with all the new Givi boxes.
I know also from experience that the separate backrest is more comfortable for me than the ones that fit directly on the box as they are lower. Wink
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2021 10:43 am

I'm not certain that a back rest fitted to a large top box adds that much to passenger comfort more than leaning back on a top box without one. Either way it makes them feel more secure.

I doubt if a passenger wearing a textile jacket fitted with a back protector leaning back on top box without a back rest would feel any discomfort. All a back rest does is make the passengers sit a couple of more inches more upright.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest   Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi TB19 Passenger Backrest
Page 1 of 1