Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
V light on early I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

V light on early

Go down 
+6
"Hi Yo"
The Bern
john grinsel
Dave Weller
Cosmic_Jumper
steve_h80
10 posters
AuthorMessage
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Out for a ride today and v light came on, it not done that since 16k miles.
Currently on 21k miles, belt changed at 16k by myself (oem too), 25g Dr P's fitted about 3k ago.
Quite a hot day (for the uk), two up (so a fair bit of weight on the bike), mostly a bimbling along day but I had just subjected it to a brisk full throttle 50 to 80mph acceleration to clear some traffic up a hill.
I've reset the light and will monitor it before I unbutton everything.
But what do you all think? Just a one-off bit of belt slippage? Or something else?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm

A visit by the belt light fairy. Reset it and forget it.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Ah, sound mechanical advice, I think I'll take it, Thanks Bud :-)
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 1:52 am

Hope a reset sorts it, something we live have to live with these days, electrical warning lights coming on.
Very common for F1 lights registering an error code because of a cough it the engine system, nothing wrong with the engine just weather conditions or driving error.
Worth checking the tightness of the battery terminals and doing a re-charge if you are waking the bike up after a winter lay-up.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 4:49 am

V light---just re-set and ride----it is only counter of miles, not belt condition. I always changed belts based on miles from odometer. Know your machine---things like V light are just add ons
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 5:38 am

Another vote for reset & forget Smile  IIRC some years back another member concluded that his/her light could come on due to belt slippage
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
V light on early 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2018 11:43 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Out for a ride today and v light came on, it not done that since 16k miles.
Currently on 21k miles, belt changed at 16k by myself (oem too), 25g Dr P's fitted about 3k ago.

IIRC (miracles do happen), others have said a change in sliders have caused some problems. Of course I may be wrong.

I'm with the reset and forget crowd.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2018 4:09 am

Have you cleaned the variator filter every four thousand miles? It does get neglected and can cause problems. It maybe called crankcase filter but, it covers the variator.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Yep is was cleaned last time I had it open.
I'm going with rest and forget for now and I'll most likely just take it for a thrap soon and see if it repeats. I expect curiosity will get to me though and I'll unbutton everything again.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 3:52 am

I'm sure it will be fine, it's just a bean counter.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 12:17 am

I don't know if it's just a bean counter or not. Studying the wiring diagram the V light is hooked to the Meter CPU, which has a drive belt in signal coming from the ECM. There is no reason to have a dedicated signal on the P/O wire from the ECM for a bean counter that just keeps track of mileage. My educated guess is the ECM compares the signals from the cam position sensor, TP sensor and wheel speed sensor. And if the ratios are not within a pre-programmed range it sends a signal to the Meter CPU to turn the light on. It may also keep track of mileage. But it's definitely doing more than that.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 6:03 am

Indeed Chris, that would explain why it would come on due to slippage
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 9:13 am

I've never had it happen, but there's numerous reports I've seen where the light comes on, the rider resets it, and a few days later it's on again. The Meter CPU obviously keeps track of the mileage as it also controls the speedo and LCD. The service manual is not real clear on the topic. But the wiring diagram, with dedicated circuits for FI and V-Matic warning looks like a rudimentary fault indicator circuit. The ECM evidently does not store DCT's, but instead triggers a fault based on pre-programmed parameters that must be met being out of range.

I do know, for instance. the FI light can be triggered by a spark plug misfiring on the models with catalyst and EGO sensor. And it will automatically clear if the fault does not reoccur. It is an n-alpha mapped injection system. The basic variables are the engine speed (n) and the throttle angle (alpha), combined with inputs from several other sensors with a "map'. Being both the FI and the V-matic circuits appear to be the same, I'm almost certain the V-matic is doing the same thing, with the exception that once a fault occurs on the V-matic 'map' it triggers the Meter CPU to keep the light on until reset.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 2:47 pm

The web tells me v light also comes on if it detects a variance between the pulleys outside of a certain range, which is why I'm suspecting a bit a belt slip. And if that's going to happen fully loaded, full throttle and uphill is when I would expect it.
We will see...
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 3:30 pm

It's never been verified that I know of, but I wonder if changing the variator rollers might cause it to come on? I think the stock rollers are 28gr. So if you have 25gr sliders, they are not going to have the authority on the variator under heavy acceleration to overcome the spring in the torque sensor (rear pulley). So if the system "see's" higher rpm than normal vs throttle opening and rear wheel sensor speed, due to the mods to the variator, it may "think" the belt is worn or slipping when it's really not.

Both me and my wife had 32gr rollers (not the sliders) in our 2002's and we now have those in our new SW's too. Those actually cause it to shift up quicker. I sold my 2002 when we got the Harley but my wife kept hers because it's her favorite bike off all time. She had 70+ thousand miles on it when she sold it and to my knowledge (unless she reset it and never said anything) the V-light never did come on in her bike. I know she had 40,000+ miles on the belt in it when she sold it. But she is not a hard rider - she's pretty gentle on stuff. I doubt she ever used full throttle on her bike in all the time she rode it. We never even put brake pads in it, and she gets 10,000+ miles out of a rear tire.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2018 4:35 pm

How does one reset it?
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Hold down both buttons and turn the key on and hold the buttons until the light flashes.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Chris Olson wrote:
Hold down both buttons and turn the key on and hold the buttons until the light flashes.

That was fast.  I got my answer in 3 minutes. I just did a search and found the answer and was going to return to say "never mind," but instead, I will say thank you.

Here is what I was going to post on a copy and paste:

to reset the light hold down the clock/trip buttons for 5-6 seconds as you turn on the ignition, this resets the V light AND millage on your belt.
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Just the info I needed!  Once again the forum comes up trumps.  Thanks.  

My V light came on this evening.  A bit of a shock as I've had the bike years and never previously had any issues with it.

Going through the procedure described above, I turned the mode to odometer, and it read 16,005 miles. That explains it! I had the belt changed early a while back as I was anticipating a long European trip (sadly, Covid put paid to that idea), and it seems the Honda dealer that did the change omitted to reset the counter.  

I now look forward to another 16,000 trouble-free miles.  (He said, tempting fate!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

V light on early Empty
PostSubject: Re: V light on early   V light on early I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V light on early
Page 1 of 1