Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Speed that you ride

Go down 
+10
Scootypuff Snr
oldwingguy
Mech 1 twa
Dale N.
cotetoi
Easyrider
ItBeMe
Bash On!
cliffyk
SteveSilverWing
14 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Speed that you ride Empty
PostSubject: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

I love to ride my Silver Wing, and it's a good thing because it is my only form of transportation. I live in Los Angeles and commute on a daily basis both on surface streets as well as on our intricate freeway system.  When I ride surface streets, I'll typically ride the speed limit which is 35 mph on main avenues and 25 mph on residential streets. The speed limit on our freeways is 65 mph but everyone, including me, typically rides/drives anywhere from 70-75 mph. I never lane share because I want to stay in the living, and I don't tailgate to give myself the chance to brake suddenly if I need to. Tailgaters I'll avoid by getting out of their way -- we've got plenty of those in Los Angeles.

How fast or slow do you typically ride your Silver Wing?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Steve
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 3:06 pm

70 to 75 mph on most all rural roads here, 45 to 55 on boulevards in the 'burbs--we live 12 miles from "town", near the beach...
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Typically, speed limit plus 5-10 mph. This is Texas--any slower and one risks getting run over.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Bash On! wrote:
Typically, speed limit plus 5-10 mph.  This is Texas--any slower and one risks getting run over.

'"Limits?" I thought those signs were suggestions...
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 3:34 pm

What ever the Hell i feel like. chickendance
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm

I usually ride at 60 on highways here on Oahu, and 35 elsewhere. 60 seems to be the sweet spot for my Swing. It is also a good speed for local traffic.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 4:26 pm

I stay within posted speeds. Once I was trying to outrun a rain storm amd two Harleys had the same idea. They passed me and then pulled in behind slow traffic !! How dumb is that ! I passed them and stayed out in front: they never got near me: 140-160 km/h for about 60 km. I did get a wave from them when I turned off the highway !
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 6:16 pm

I never speed. I only do 10 mph on the sidewalks and lay on the horn.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Just fast enough to pass the Harleys.
Road conditions and traffic are the usual problems.

First ride in 4 months last SAT. 120 miles a little rusty. Skills suffer from not riding and muscles are not used to it. Took it easy. Fast enough to be fun is all I need.

No speed limit on sidewalks. Wink

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 9:44 pm

The speed limit, that's my story and I'm stickin to it Smile
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 11:49 pm

No matter how fast or slow I ride my average in our congested roads is 40mph, 30mph in the car at best

The SPECS camera systems used to measure speed limits now on smart motorways can talk to each other for up to 35 miles so your not going to beat the system
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 5:19 am

City...speed limit. Interstate...speed limit or 5 mph below
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 6:55 am

At or slightly below the speed limit, except motorways where I'm happy to 'trundle along' at 55mph, I've had two riding bans (both in my youth) both for speeding & I don't intend to get a third.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:
No matter how fast or slow I ride my average in our congested roads is 40mph, 30mph in the car at best

The SPECS camera systems used to measure speed limits now on smart motorways can talk to each other for up to 35 miles so your not going to beat the system

So your saying they can track an individual vehicle for 35 miles and record it's movement?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 2:03 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Scootypuff Snr wrote:

So your saying they can track an individual vehicle for 35 miles and record it's movement?

It's an average speed camera system with built in number plate recognition ... big brother is watching affraid
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 3:05 pm

The Bern wrote:
oldwingguy wrote:
Scootypuff Snr wrote:

It's an average speed camera system with built in number plate recognition ... big brother is watching affraid

In a way, that's a good thing, because folks who speed can be and usually are dangerous. On the other hand, there is altogether too much 'big brother' going on today. And you all know what I'm talking about...
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Steve, I'm about your speed in all those conditions. I also agree that speeders are dangerous. If you don't care about yourself riding among the speeders, then think about your kids, relatives, friends who are endangered by those aggressive drivers. Speed kills.

I can better enjoy the ride within the speed limit without the 95 mph wind bending my windscreen. Also, bird guano and bumble bees hit my helmet more softly at speeds under 95 mph.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Not all the 'smart' motorway cameras are average speed checks. And they're not smart. They only have refuges every 1.5 miles (!) and the speed limits seem totally random. I work nights, and regularly see deserted road with '50mph' limits. Or accident warnings 2 miles after you passed the crash. Mutter mutter grumble moan.

My speed varies, I tend to ride to the road conditions rather than what a sign put there by some dpe inn an office said. So in villages I tend to ride slower than the limit, but on open roads whatever I feel is sensible.

For example, there's a dual carriage way near my house that is ruler straight, no buildings (just an dying steel works)... and some of it is a 40mph limit. Yet move further into town (next to the schools, crossings, fast food joints) where it is busier and with more pedestrians especially kids, and it's a 50mph. And get onto a single track country lane with poor surface and minimal visibility, and it's a 60! So the 40 limit I use for my acceleration tests, the 50 I tend to stick to, and the 60 I tend to go even slower! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 6:28 pm

US. doesn't use any speed cameras that i know of. Parked cop radar, laser and sometimes have lines on road and time you from an aircraft. Doesn't sound like much fun in UK.

PA. turnpike Toll Road. You get a ticket at entrance or use a transponder to pay tolls. I've had a few words said from toll booth guy 62 miles in 45 mins. on FJR. But i wasn't speeding. MUCH. Wink Wink Best time Allentown to Harrisburg PA. 90 miles 1 hour 1 minute. Early Sunday morning very little traffic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed that you ride   Speed that you ride I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed that you ride
Page 1 of 1