Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Final drive leak?

Go down 
+6
Dave Weller
Old Limey
The Bern
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
Jolly Bodger
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Did the oil and filter today for the first time (on this machine). I'm going to change the rear final drive oil as well using JeffRs method without removing covers. I will probably do it tomorrow, but when I had a quick look today I noticed that there is oily dirt on the rear final drive. There must be a slight leak somewhere. Should I strip down and investigate or change oil and ignore?

JR
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Since you didn't specify whether the dirt was located at the fill "plug" or the drain bolt, it's difficult to imagine what, if any, the issue might be.

So I'd just go ahead and change the oil -- after cleaning off the offending dirt first. Or if you are really concerned remove the black covers first so that you can have a proper look at things.

Also, there is a small weep hole at the bottom, lowest point of the alloy belt case (at the seam). Hopefully your "Final drive leak" is not originating from there. If so that would suggest a leaky oil seal.

Sorry to be an alarmist.

Tim

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Any history on your SW. Did you buy it new or used ? Measure the amount drained this will give you an indication if its low. Some say to spin the wheel to get a little more to drain.

I'd say drain and refill. Clean off excess oil and check if reside returns. Covers aren't hard to remove if it makes you feel better to eye ball it.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 4:46 am

It could be the result of a slight overfill on a previous service, if it's not leaving a mark on the floor where you park it then it's unlikely to be an actual leak.
As an aside, personally, at drive oil change I like to remove at least the black covers & clean the (often forgotten) drive belt air filter, if time is available I then remove the alloy cover & clean out any clutch/belt dust.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 pm

I do the same Bern, as it is awkward to fill the drive, I use a squirtey oil can and keep refilling till oil eases out of the filler. I clean the fan filter every four thousand miles, due to do that this week.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Ok an update: I decided to remove the covers to investigate. Drained 350ml out and put about 360ml back in till overflow. Totally dry around the filler. Dirt and oil around the drain plug area but I'm not convinced that it is coming from there. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for the next few weeks. The oil that came out seemed in reasonably good order so I'm not worried too much.

JB
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 2:58 pm

The crush washers do seem to leak if they are reused, I have the slightest of leaks on one of my bikes, so from now on I will fit new each time. The only reason I refitted the old one, was that the new supplied one was the wrong diameter so took a chance.
I don't risk over tightening the bolt to stop it leaking, for fear of stripping the thread.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 6:31 pm

I had leak at fill plug on my second SilverWing-----bike was in dealer for warranty look at----new crush washer seemed to fix
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Well at least you know it was full. No damage from low or burnt oil in there. OE washers are aluminum but copper works too. Cooper doesn't crush as much and lasts a few more changes just don't over tighten. Bolt is 8mm 12mm head not hard to find this size.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2018 8:15 am

Sounds like you are in good shape! It is normal to get a bit of oil slop when changing the drive oil... After changing, wipe everything down good to get the oil off. I do same thing on engine oil change as it can get messy too. BTW I usually change my drive oil every other oil change, every change seems to be overkill so every other works for me. Very easy job when done at same time as engine oil...
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Registration date : 2017-04-23

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 4:57 pm

howdy folks ... final drive oil over flow port

http://prntscr.com/jnc7jk

http://prntscr.com/jnc7wh

holds 1 1/2 cups of same oil you use in engine, BUT what i cant figure out is how the oil stays in there it could eventually all drip out from running down the gears?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 5:04 am

RazorbackUofA wrote:
howdy folks ...  final drive oil over flow port

http://prntscr.com/jnc7jk

http://prntscr.com/jnc7wh

holds 1  1/2 cups of same oil you use in engine, BUT what i cant figure out is how the oil stays in there it could eventually all drip out from running down the gears?

In answer to your question, there is an oil seal inside the gearbox which prevents the oil draining.  Having just seen the pictures of your drive shaft bearing ( https://www.silverwing600.com/t10543-final-drive-gear-issue#107147 ) I guess there has been an amount of 'wag' in the drive shaft that has permitted oil to 'weep' past the seal. With a new bearing & seal I think you'll find that the oil leak will be a thing of the past Smile

The oil seal is item #20 in your photograph ( https://prnt.sc/jncmyh )

HTH & good luck with the rebuild bud :Happy Holiday:
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 2:12 pm

this is an over flow port went out to look more carefully its inside the gear housing, theirs a vent at the top with a rubber hose and then you have the fill port juts out side the housing, then you have this over flow port, its NOT part of when the bearing right next to it got destroyed, as you can see in the pics its supposed to be there.

what am thinking is the speed these gears go there dont need to be much oil as the gears pick it up from the bottom and splash it around, but if there was more oil it would impeded the function of the gears like us trying to run neck deep in water.

but as stated i am puzzled as to why its there .. only thing i can think of is to prevent over filling but thats hard to do if ya use a pump or siphon.

only remidy i can think of is to periodicly chk the gear lvl, ... EASY TO DO NOW THAT WE KNOW, ADD OIL TILL IT GOES OUT OVER FLOW .......

Final drive leak? 20180510
Final drive leak? 20180512
Final drive leak? 20180511
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 2:15 pm

i use a small clear hose that fits inside the fill hole and siphon.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Razor,
I agree with The Bern. There shouldn't be any oil leaking between servicing. You need to replace the oil seal. The only overflow comes out of the same hole when you fill/add oil.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 5:01 pm

you are correct, i looked deeper into the issue and found this, the diagram for tranny dont show oil and dust seal

http://prntscr.com/jns2br

but when i look at the swing arm diagram it does

http://prntscr.com/jns3o5

i did not notice or find those when i dissembled the bike nor can i find them in the destroyed Bering box, ether way the oil seal covers that hole.

problem solved. almost...lol whats that hole for hehe.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Final drive leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final drive leak?   Final drive leak? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Final drive leak?
Page 1 of 1