Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle

Go down 
+5
Bash On!
oldwingguy
Meldrew
Old Limey
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle Empty
PostSubject: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am

Test to check hand/eye coordination-----push bike backwards, left hand on handle bar, right hand on passenger handle. Get older it gets difficult for me regardless of experience. Young people who move bikes around in bike shop seem to have no trouble.
I find getting harder for me at near 79. I do move bike around, safely in garage sitting on it, though, using engine power to go forward, engine off to go backward pushing with both feet and legs.

Putting up on lift alone getting to be more and more shakey deal. Need helper around to catch if bike tips wrong way. Difficult to fight age.

In 70's, running motorcyle schools, found there was always somebody who didn't want to take course and of course knew it all. Trick I used to gain control---have that student give me his key, ask him to push his bike backwards thru 3 traffic cones I had set up, left hand on bars,, right hand on passenger handle-----mister big mouth usually ended up falling on top of bike (my take lack of experience, etc) those who might have worked in bike shops, etc had not trouble. (dirt bike experience also seemed to help)
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 am

I don't think it is case of too old to ride John, just the muscle power is not what it once was. I have been looking at smaller scooters that I might replace the Wing with in the next year or so, I like the look of the CruiSYM300, I sat on one and the leg room was. better than any other I have come across,unfortunately they don't have any demo bikes to ride Do you know anything about SYM  John?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 am

Old Limey wrote:
I have been looking at smaller scooters that I might replace the Wing with in the next year or so, I like the look of the CruiSYM300, I sat on one and the leg room was. better than any other I have come across,unfortunately they don't have any demo bikes to ride

Was it Bolton Motorcycles where you had a look at the CruiSYM ?There's a couple more dealers round your way that also have a new CruiSYM in stock.

Millenium Motorcycles, Thatto Heath, St Helens, WA9 5PE

in 2 Moto, Fennel Street, Warrington, WA1 2PA

As they're also part of that MotoGB set up you might not get a demo ride, but when you show them that bursting at the seams wallet of yours, they'll probably change their mind. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 7:43 am

I have been to Bolton M/C , and yesterday I was at Preston Superbikes, where they also advertise the bike. They had the CruiSym300 in stock, but, after phoning SYM they say SYM will not provide a Demo, iam reluctant to pay fivethousand pounds for something I have never heard the engine run, or had a ride on. The dealer actually agrees with me, as he has a Demo TMax and a Demo Kawasaki in his showroom. Even waving my Dubloons at them and my sovereigns made no difference.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 am

Funny not that here I can take a $40+ thousand auto out for a demo ride but not a used 2 wheeler, it's been that way forever, some will let trikes or Spyders out.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am

A real conundrum, certainly.  I've bought a Harley and a BMW touring bike "rideless" (both new, without even ridden any of either breed before) and haven't been disappointed.  Like most here, been riding a long time, though, and have a pretty good idea what I (will) like.

Perhaps you could rent one, contact a marque club and try one, or even arrange with somebody selling one for a test ride (I'd be upfront about the likelihood of buying it, however. Perhaps some $$?)

Last edited by Bash On! on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am

john grinsel wrote:
Test to check hand/eye coordination-----push bike backwards, left hand on handle bar, right hand on passenger handle.   Get older it gets difficult for me regardless of experience.  Young people who move bikes around in bike shop seem to have no trouble.  < snip >

Nonsense, Mr Grinsel. That doesn't "test" your ability to ride. It's only a test of our ability to remember that some tasks are best left to those young bucks.

Given our seniority we're much more suited to comiserating, harumphing and opining.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 am

Being able to physically move a Silver Wing about a few yards is a pretty good test to see if it's too heavy for you, so is being able to comfortably haul it onto the main/centre stand. Because one day you might have to do just that if it runs out of fuel, punctures or breaks down. It's also going weigh quite a lot more if you've filled the under seat storage, top box, or have a loaded tunnel bag, saddlebags, or seat pack.

I'd say the physicall effort of lifting or moving a 550 lb maxi scooter about is the real reason why some members ask about bypassing the side stand ignition cut out switch.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 10:18 am

My take---center stand on SilverWing does not take much power to use....done right, rolling it up for example.

My take on ability to ride....cannot push dead bike around...probably not so fit to ride or make right/quick decisions....old, in doubt take even MSF (in US) advanced riders course to see if you are sharp enough to continue on...or to sharpen your skills.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 pm

How did that student feel after dropping his bike? Not the best teaching methods I feel.
If it made them learn something positive afterward ????
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Good test   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 pm

I am guilty of moving mine around sitting on it. If I break down I'm calling for help. When I get to the point that I cannot get onto the seat without being picked up by someone else.....THEN.....I'll just call for help. I'm going to ride until I go blind.....THEN.....I'll ride as a passenger.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Student listened/paid attention.....I gave out life saving tips----we practiced things like gas/clutch/rear brake control in slow stuff, riding plank. high speed braking, stop and start on steep hill, standing on foot pegs, even lofting front wheel to clear object on road---all classes went 150 miles in Tokyo traffic at conclusion of second day.

With thing like motorcycle school instructor has to be in control and be able to demonstrate all exercises in real professional manor---something I have seen many MSF instructors not be able to do.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Good test   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 10:25 pm

I wish I had been able to attend one of your classes. I feel sure you were (are) a great teacher and you probably have saved a few lives through the years. Just keep being who you are as long as you can.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2018 6:32 am

Talking about getting too old to ride.

Maybe it's not all about age but about the brain not functioning anymore properly.

I will never admit that one time I pulled into the garage and got off the SWing before putting the kickstand down. It didn't get hurt and just leaned against my workbench. I thought, "DUH! What a DERP"!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Good test   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2018 10:43 am

Dale I would never admit that I've done the same thing........bad thing is I was a lot younger when I did it. Oh well..........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle   Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good test to see if you are too old to ride scooter/motorcycle
Page 1 of 1