Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Radiator hoses

Go down 
+4
Easyrider
janitorj1
lloyd193
carolina wing rider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 1:18 pm

I cannot find a recommended schedule for replacement of radiator hoses and/or other water lines on my bike. Does anyone replace these before they fail? I know the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"......what do you think?
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Carolina wing Rider,

The hoses on all the Japanese scooters seem to last for ever. Over the years I have had to replace only a very few.

Check your hoses for swelling or other signs of cracking or rot and tighten the Clamps, Change that coolant every two or three years.

On the Silverwing 90% of the hose connections can be reached with the removal of the left skirt.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Radiator hoes   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Thank you Lloyd. I posted this issue because there is not much information about it and if I was curious I figured others may be too. Good advice as usual.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm

I too once had the idea that I should drain, flush and re-fill my cooling system. I was told to take a chill pill and relax. If it ain't broke as they say. I used to work at a national tire chain, and radiator flushes are nothing but pure profit. If you can sell it; they will buy it.

My Swing is an 05, no leaks, no issues. No sense looking for trouble. I do check the overflow reservoir from time to time though.

Now Mr. Lloyd has more experience, and a different thought.

My Lincoln, to which I have alleged to in another thread, is an 01, and the cooling system on it has not been touched. I just check the overflow reservoir. No issues thusfar.

Jon
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 10:49 pm

janitorj1 wrote:
I too once had the idea that I should drain, flush and re-fill my cooling system.  I was told to take a chill pill and relax.  If it ain't broke as they say.  I used to work at a national tire chain, and radiator flushes are nothing but pure profit.  If you can sell it; they will buy it.

My Swing is an 05, no leaks, no issues.  No sense looking for trouble.  I do check the overflow reservoir from time to time though.

Now Mr. Lloyd has more experience, and a different thought.  

My Lincoln, to which I have alleged to in another thread, is an 01, and the cooling system on it has not been touched.  I just check the overflow reservoir.  No issues thusfar.

Jon

Thanks for your good information and your experience, Those Honda hoses are the best.

Lloyd193.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Honda's concern and reason for their recommending frequent changes of coolant and brake fluid is corrosion.

Major parts of our scooters are made of Aluminum, Once our coolant has become acidic it starts eating the metal and causing pits to form.

In addition our brake fluid absorbs water which starts destroying the material in our brake systems and rusting or corroding all the components.

Changing motor oil is important for these same reasons, There was a oil commercial for years that stated, Pay me now or pay me later.

By changing your fluids at what ever time you decide is right will save you a big repair bill later.

Enjoy your bike,

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 pm

When you do add coolant, make sure it silicate free, or very low silicates.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 pm

[quote="janitorj1"]When you do add coolant, make sure it silicate free, or very low silicates.  

Jon[/quot

Jon,
In the past Prestone listed that it was silicate free. Now it doesn't list it. Other than Honda anti freeze, are there other brands of silicate free anti freeze?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 5:04 am

Easyrider wrote:

In the past Prestone listed that it was silicate free. Now it doesn't list it. Other than Honda anti freeze, are there other brands of silicate free anti freeze?

If you can get it in the US, have a look at .. Silkolene MAG COOL .. no silicates or phophates.
If you go for it you need to give the system a really good flush as it will not mix with other coolant types, also use straight from the bottle as it shouldn't be diluted.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Radiator hoes   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 5:16 am

Thank you for the tip. I just found it on ebay. The best deal on Silkolene Mag is 10.95 a quart. The good stuff always seems to cost more but if you recommend it....I'll use it.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 5:48 am

carolina wing rider wrote:
Thank you for the tip. I just found it on ebay. The best deal on Silkolene Mag is 10.95 a quart. The good stuff always seems to cost more but if you recommend it....I'll use it.

How expensive is Honda coolant over there ? (it's what I use) I think using demineralised water is quite important as well, at least here, as our water companies add various trace elements to keep the water 'sweet' while it's in the pipes.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 am

I just bought 8Ltrs. of Prestone "ready to use" coolant/antifreeze from Eurocarparts in the UK to fill my van's cooling system. I back-flushed and filled the whole system due to a radiator out repair job.

It states on their web site under their 10yr. 156k miles guarantee that it's silicate, phosphate, borate, nitrate, and amine free. It goes on to state how it mixes with other antifreeze.

I see no reason why it couldn't be used with confidence in a motorcycle engine.

www.holtsauto.com/prestone
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 am

I bought the Pro Honda coolant at my local Honda car dealership, and when I did a coolant change, the stuff I drained out was visually the same colour as the new coolant I refilled the system with.

Changing it is one thing, responsibly disposing of this hazardous material is another. I took the containers of used coolant to my local waste handling and recycling depot, where they have the facilities to dispose of it.

I hate to think how much used anti-freeze/coolant is just simply dumped down sinks, and drains by people too lazy or unconcerned about how much environmental damage it causes.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm

The Bern wrote:
Easyrider wrote:

If you can get it in the US, have a look at .. Silkolene MAG COOL .. no silicates or phophates.
If you go for it you need to give the system a really good flush as it will not mix with other coolant types, also use straight from the bottle as it shouldn't be diluted.

Bern,
Thank you. Shipping to Hawaii is very expensive. I will check the Prestone web site.
Thank you also Flyingpanman for your post on Prestone.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Honda auto coolant is good. Meets all the standards for SW. $20 for a gallon at dealer.
Prestone is also good. Cheaper. Buy a gallon straight up and mix it with distilled water 50/50 mix then you have 2 gallons. I've been using Honda auto coolant in FJR for 12 years no issues. Its blue.

Seems every manufacturer has a different color?????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radiator hoses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses   Radiator hoses I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radiator hoses
Page 1 of 1