Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Gimmick Spark plugs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Gimmick Spark plugs Empty
PostSubject: Gimmick Spark plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 12:31 pm

From time to time more gimmick spark plugs come and go, Most of the gimmicky plugs have several extra ground contacts.

Claims are that these extra contacts magically make these plugs more effective, In reality they restrict the flame fronts travel when the plug fires.

Years ago even Holly Carburetor company made spark plugs Along with many other's attempting to sell a product.

Today nothing works better than a Iridium single ground Spark plug.

Do not waste your money on these amazing claimed plugs.

Enjoy your bike,

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Gimmick spark plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I am going to take a wild guess that this post is in response to my post about e3 spark plugs. I have always agreed with your advice and this is no exception. With your background and experience I will take your advice. I appreciate your feedback. Ride Often!
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Spark plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
I am going to take a wild guess that this post is in response to my post about e3 spark plugs

Yer, I reckon that too bud, gotta wonder why he didn't post in that thread ( https://www.silverwing600.com/t10317-silverwing-spark-plug-upgrade#104489 ) rather than start a new one, unless of course he can't be seen to agree with my post
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Spark plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Multi ground electrode spark plugs are hardly a gimmick, all aviation sparkplugs have at least 2 ground electrodes, with some having either 3 or even 4, plus, there are always 2 spark plugs per cylinder. However, those e3 plugs look very gimmicky, like the old surface fire plugs!

Now, whether multi-wire or multiple plugs on an engine such as we have will make any improvements is hard to say. Probably not.

A lot of us use the Iridium plugs, but the payoff is more likely longevity than performance, since the applications that really benefit from Iridium are high RPM engines.

That being said, I felt like when I switched from a good, fresh set of standard NGK's to their Iridium's, the engine started quicker and ran better. YMMV
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Gimmick plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 pm

That makes e3-0 NGK Iridium-3 Your input is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Spark plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Fine wire spark plugs whether platinum like aircraft or iridium for automotive use are superior because their fine diameter electrodes concentrate the electrical field which allows an arc with less applied voltage. Normal massive electrode plugs normally have their electrode edges made sharp with square edges on the ground electrode and flat sharp edged center electrodes for the same purpose of decreasing the necessary voltage for developing an arc. Over time the electrodes sharpest edges erode and increase the needed voltage for an arc. With the fine wire plugs the electrodes are so thin that it makes little difference as they erode over time and lose their edges. Not a gimmick at all as Sidewinder Pilot said. When I bought my first airplane in the early '60s it was necessary to clean and gap spark plugs with massive electrodes, most then had three or four ground electrodes. When platinum (after all these are for airplanes) and later iridium automotive came out plug maintenance was reduced greatly.
Now with the old mechanical ignition points (contacts) gone and electronic ignition producing much higher voltage spark plugs last near forever. I put 160,000 miles on a Ford Crown Vic without touching the plugs with no degradation in performance.

In short, no need to use any "super" spark plugs, you won't gain much.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Spark plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Thank you........the Iridiums win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Spark plugs   Gimmick Spark plugs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gimmick Spark plugs
Page 1 of 1