Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trip Prep for long rides

Go down 
+6
willajabir
Meldrew
The Bern
steve_h80
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Trip Prep for long rides Empty
PostSubject: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 2:09 am

Getting ready for Feb. Ride to California.

First going as far south as I can to avoid snow.  Return maybe ride a little farther north.

As I have ridden a lot and am still learning a lot on long distance 2 wheel travel.  My first long trip--Canada 1957--Indian Woodsman (really Royal Enfield Bullet with high pipe), second WI to TX spring 1958--Maico 250 Blizzard......on then on, never stopping, with long rides in Europe/Asia/US/Canada, etc for the next  60 years or so and not stopping now.

Passing on some of what I have  learned---carry at least enough tools to remove wheels, make minor adjustments, etc. Start ride with fresh tires if you can---dealers along the way may not have tire you need in stock---only Harley dealers always seem to have tires.

Everybody takes too much junk on trips!!  I usually take light camping stuff and oat meal/coffee cook stuff---this time only down sleeping bag and survival tube, in case I get stuck someplace and have to sleep.

Miss under seat storage of big scooter---My CB300F has Hepco & Becker C-Bow bags and their luggage rack, tank bag----this trip trying to carry only one rubber bag on passenger seat---and I like to keep warm---so I wear down vest and down jacket under my Darien Jacket----I have Darien pants, never successful with them with jeans under---but this trip will wear them with only long underwear under---real cold add pajama bottons over the long under wear.  Wearing the Darien stuff I do not have to put on raingear if it rains as it is already waterproof.  Have new pr of Wolverine Waterproof Wellingtons....saving carrying rubber over boots, and the hassle putting them on.
 Not taking electric bib as I hate being wired to bike.

Glove/Mitt problem I have never really solved  Just carry extras, warm ski gloves under Harley rain gloves work ok--warm and hands hopefully stay dry.

Always leave packing/bag room for the stuff you have to take off if it warms up.  Aerostich Darien stuff with light stuff under work for me up to about 90 degrees F....keeping moving! And I like the Hi-Vis yellow color of jacket.

Helmet, reg everyday 3/4, safety glasses, use lots of foam ear plugs, throwing them away when they are no longer fresh.

Do not hurry/stop when tired/ Old style Motel 6 works best for me at nite.  Believe it or not McDonalds about the only road food that will not give you the runs in US.  WalMart best stop to stock up on water/beer/pop, etc.

So hope somebody finds this helpful---my costs per day on road I try to keep to $100, could be lower free camping/wild camping self cooking,, etc.   As I use motels a lot---those owned by Indians from India tend to be overpriced/dirty/not friendly and are to be avoided.  getting more and more of them.

Daily mileage---250--400 miles works for me at 78.  Sometimes grinding out miles can be very boring!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 8:45 am

Best wishes on your forthcoming ride. Thank you for sharing your tips, Mr Grinsel.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Good list John.
The main thing I would to that is suicide clothes. Underwear, t-shirts etc all have one last day and that's best spent on a bike, then they can be jettisoned at evenings camp or hotel. This means my packing gets lighter as I travel.
I do feel sorry for the hotel maids though :-)
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 4:37 pm

Take care out there John, enjoy the ride bud
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 5:36 pm

I do take some clothes/socks/underwear that can be thrown away....and beer/pop thrown away as I progress....or any bike stuff that is worn out or junk never gets home. I go out heavier than I return.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 6:15 pm

I prefer the nightly ritual of giving T shirts, socks, and pants a quick wash in the sink of my hotel room. Wring them out rolled in a towel, put them on a heated towel rail or radiator and they dry overnight.

I wear base layers in easy care, lightweight breathable materials, and with no seams in the pants around the butt cheeks. Take a couple of travel shirts for when I want to look a bit smarter and an inflatable coat hanger so they dry virtually crease free.

Having said that it's almost February and unlike Mr Grinsel I'm still making my mind up where to ride this year. I've browsed travel guides, looked at websites, read dozens of hotel reviews, pored over maps, and I'm still undecided.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 am

I've traveled with both extremes. Packing way to much and then just minimal.
Traveling with a change for each day means no laundry. Extra tools means you are prepared.
But I've also traveled with nothing but one change of underwear, my toothpaste, and toothbrush.
(Note: Toothbrush was invented in Alabama. IF it had been elsewhere, it'd be called teethbrush)
Most of the time, even locally, I carry a tire patch kit and rain suit.
With minimal, you can usually find a place to purchase another pair of socks and shorts.
Last year I traveled as Mildrew posted. It was a better trip for me due to less lugging of stuff.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Trip Prep for long rides 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 11:37 am

Meldrew wrote:
I'm still making my mind up where to ride this year. I've browsed travel guides, looked at websites, read dozens of hotel reviews, pored over maps, and I'm still undecided.

This reminds me of my dad, minus the websites. My mother was of the "Lets go." camp. Both enjoyed their trips.

Isn't this is what it's all about. Different strokes for different folks! motorcycle
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 5:11 pm

For travel in US current credit card almost a must. I hate businesses who say to go to our Website--I carry no computer or I phone. Lucky I saved old Motel 6 booklet---50-100 miles out, locate Motel 6---call make reservation for nite....as long as motel is old style where you can walk direct into room, after parking. Motel 6 is pet friendly. Some motels charge extra for dog, except in emergency walk away.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

John, you mentioned the overpriced/dirty/unfriendly Motel 6 "hosts". How do you avoid them? It seems as if most of the budget motels are dirty & overpriced and owned by those same unfriendly people. Camping is inconvenient and dirty, but for a few $$ more you get heat/air conditioning and a hot shower at Motel 6 --kinda one step up from camping. So what's your secret?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm

On Motel 6----get there see what is happening at front desk----sometimes, too bad ones monkey with prices---$39.95 sign on highway---crook wanted $80 when I got there--I walked. Ownership of Motel 6 chain changed from French to ?? but I see downturn in many markets.

The price change happened to me in at least NY and GA---I didn't stay. Riding backroads, I use Mom & Pop, again at check in....even asking to see room. Some dumps I have stayed, include one in WY Rawlins, looked like hell from outside but lady at front desk (owner?) was nice, price right, took chance on room much to my surprise, room clean...I could control heat.

When I retired the last time, because of job/my own travels/Air Force had spent 25% of my life in hotels/motels/transit quarters. Very seldom do I go upscale as most are not great for riders.
When I lived in Europe, once a year went to Stella Alpina Rally, treated myself to best Hotel/food in town---staying at least three nights.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 8:03 pm

If possible, post a parcel of clothes/food/etc. to yourself at your hotel/destination. When you've changed your clothes, send the laundry back home via the post. This can seriously reduce your luggage on the bike.

Use the postal service and a bit of imagination.

Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:
If possible, post a parcel of clothes/food/etc. to yourself at your hotel/destination. When you've changed your clothes, send the laundry back home via the post. This can seriously reduce your luggage on the bike.

Use the postal service and a bit of imagination.

I've talked with several other riders that do this. It seems a great help for them.

Most of the time when I travel, once I'm past 100 miles from home, I have this strange quirk that prevents that method.
Wife calls it the squirrel syndrome. Like the dog in the Pixar movie 'Up'.
While riding, I'm easily diviated from course by inviting detours.

For clarity, here is a 20 second clip for illustration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAIGLkSMls

Edit: I do similar to John. I ask to see a room in any motel I stop in. I lift the mattress and look behind the headboard for signs of bedbugs.
My neighbor is more paranoid. He carries a 1 person tent in the room and sets it up on the bed.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 am

While riding, I'm easily diviated from course by inviting detours. Smile as I, when I come to a fork in the road I take it. If I don't have a destination in mind I do the left turn right turn ride, I found places I've not seen before that way, even locally.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 am

I've read touring articles where riders over the other side of the Pond wear old cotton clothing and then ditch it when it's getting a bit rank, and buy bargain priced replacements at Wal-Mart.

You could certainly do this elsewhere, I've been to cities there's discount shops open to late at night selling cheapo bundles of cotton T shirts pants and socks.

I can't be alone having learned through experience that cotton gear is fine for casual wear but isn't really practical as a base layer. It absorbs sweat and doesn't dry easily, then as you cool down the damp cotton becomes clammy. It's worse in winter wearing bulky gear where it's easy to overheat just pushing a heavy bike/scooter.

I get uncomfortably sweaty wearing a Knox back protector, and to a lesser extent a textile jacket that has one fitted. They both cover that large surface area, causing a heat build up and then a damp sweaty T shirt. I've got a couple of well vented and mesh panelled summer suits but that back protector acts like an insulating layer.

At least wearing a base layer of synthetic material similar to athletic wear it's breathable and quicker drying. The only downside is it accidentally coming into contact with and sticking to the many Velcro pads and straps on modern textile gear, causing the dreaded bobbling.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am

Think I might leave tomorrow. Weather TV shows I may be riding into warmer weather as I move west.

This trip because in winter----wear only riding clothes---layers on top I can remove if gets warmer. Set up with Darien jacket and pants and new Wolverine waterproof Wellingtons, know feet will stay dry thru rain (second pair of the same boots).Have 2 pair of waterproof gloves, in case. If riding back roads, every little town has laundry.. I can stop to wash any clothes if necessary. Some Motel 6 have washing machines and dryers.

Today 22 degrees F little colder than I like to start out in. Probably will be gone 2 weeks.

I travel self contained, beer/pop/water/ pipe stuff----find going out a little heavy ok, rather than stopping along the way to pick stuff up and pay too much.

So set up, starts to rain, only have to stop, tighten/close up collar put on waterproof gloves. No jumping around to put on rain gear/rubber boots. Looking forward to fun/enjoyment and hopefully little miserable time. Real rain/storms I try to limit my riding day to 6, max 8 hours.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

You're right and I agree, Mildrew.
I might add that not all humans evaporation systems adapt the same in the same climate.
Also, riding in different climates/seasons may alter the response from one's biological systems.
I'm aware that you have knowledge of this, but just stating for those to follow my logic on the following.

When younger, I used cotton base layers and denim riding gear. I was comfortable.
My gear and myself have morphed over the years.
I wear the mesh gear with the synthetic sports skivvies which in comparison to the cotton, feel like riding butt naked. (that's right guys, look at my avatar and paint yourselves a mental picture requiring eye bleach!!!)

As to the back protector, I also find that it provides excessive insulation. I remove and purchase a replacement that is more open/vented OR I've also been know to ride without it.

One situation I prefer the cotton is when riding desert in over 100º F. Moisture is my friend. I also carry a spray bottle of water to spray myself liberally to implement natural a/c. Cotton seems(to me) to cool a bit longer than synthetic in that situation. I may be wrong and am open to further advice/suggestions/comments.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 am

I also carry a spray bottle of water to spray myself liberally to implement natural a/c. Cotton seems(to me) to cool a bit longer than synthetic in that situation. I may be wrong and am open to further advice/suggestions/comments.

Similar for us when we we riding the g'Wing, my wife would just pour the water on my cool collar and across my shoulders, vented helmet helped some also.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 pm

I bought a new heavily discounted Macna Dry Cooling Vest late last year after looking at various other options. It's meant to be worn over a sythetic base layer after you've filled the valve on the vest with 500ml of tap water and squeezed the vest for a couple of minutes to distribute it around the material.

It works by evaporation but unlike most other cooling vests the material stays dry. Macna say one fill can last up to three days, impressive eh! that's the equivalent of the average British Summer.

Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Getting ready for Feb. Ride to California.

First going as far south as I can to avoid snow.  Return maybe ride a little farther north.

As I have ridden a lot and am still learning a lot on long distance 2 wheel travel.  My first long trip--Canada 1957--Indian Woodsman (really Royal Enfield Bullet with high pipe), second WI to TX spring 1958--Maico 250 Blizzard......on then on, never stopping, with long rides in Europe/Asia/US/Canada, etc for the next  60 years or so and not stopping now.

Passing on some of what I have  learned---carry at least enough tools to remove wheels, make minor adjustments, etc. Start ride with fresh tires if you can---dealers along the way may not have tire you need in stock---only Harley dealers always seem to have tires.

Everybody takes too much junk on trips!!  I usually take light camping stuff and oat meal/coffee cook stuff---this time only down sleeping bag and survival tube, in case I get stuck someplace and have to sleep.

Miss under seat storage of big scooter---My CB300F has Hepco & Becker C-Bow bags and their luggage rack, tank bag----this trip trying to carry only one rubber bag on passenger seat---and I like to keep warm---so I wear down vest and down jacket under my Darien Jacket----I have Darien pants, never successful with them with jeans under---but this trip will wear them with only long underwear under---real cold add pajama bottons over the long under wear.  Wearing the Darien stuff I do not have to put on raingear if it rains as it is already waterproof.  Have new pr of Wolverine Waterproof Wellingtons....saving carrying rubber over boots, and the hassle putting them on.
 Not taking electric bib as I hate being wired to bike.

Glove/Mitt problem I have never really solved  Just carry extras, warm ski gloves under Harley rain gloves work ok--warm and hands hopefully stay dry.

Always leave packing/bag room for the stuff you have to take off if it warms up.  Aerostich Darien stuff with light stuff under work for me up to about 90 degrees F....keeping moving! And I like the Hi-Vis yellow color of jacket.

Helmet, reg everyday 3/4, safety glasses, use lots of foam ear plugs, throwing them away when they are no longer fresh.

Do not hurry/stop when tired/ Old style Motel 6 works best for me at nite.  Believe it or not McDonalds about the only road food that will not give you the runs in US.  WalMart best stop to stock up on water/beer/pop, etc.

So hope somebody finds this helpful---my costs per day on road I try to keep to $100, could be lower free camping/wild camping self cooking,, etc.   As I use motels a lot---those owned by Indians from India tend to be overpriced/dirty/not friendly and are to be avoided.  getting more and more of them.

Daily mileage---250--400 miles works for me at 78.  Sometimes grinding out miles can be very boring!

An I Pod and some good music makes the miles Magically disappear.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Going back a few years some guys we knew refused to carry luggage on their sports bike ( it spoils the look and handling dontchknow :-) ).
Anyway their annual trip to the TT. Guess what parcel didn't turn up!
Silly buggers :-)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 3:59 pm

I prefer to pay attention to the traffic/riding/bike.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm kinda with John on this. I prefer the Zen of riding with an empty mind. That said, I'm imagine that some "distraction" might be beneficial if riding the plains of the Dakotas, Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan.  

Tim
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 6:00 pm

I can understand both sides. Riding along with just myself and the bike is awesome and oft euphoric.
BUT, I've had occasions where road daze would hit and a bit a music or other attention breaker would welcome the return of my consciousness to my mortal being. Thus I might continue rather than terminate travel and saw proverbial logs, or possibly cease all mortal functions.
And the thought of causing harm to my swing is unconscionable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trip Prep for long rides   Trip Prep for long rides I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trip Prep for long rides
Page 1 of 1