Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Newbie in UK

Go down 
+7
oldwingguy
Old Limey
HORNBLOWER
Dale N.
Cosmic_Jumper
cotetoi
v23nb
11 posters
AuthorMessage
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi, just joined. Just agreed a deal today on a 2014 S’wing in silver with leg deflectors and Oxford grips (not the Honda originals). Have been doing a 65 mile motorway commute for the last couple of years on a Honda Deauville 700 but although it’s a great bike for doing that journey I’ve always found it too top heavy to use elsewhere so I have an enduro for fun local riding. Also got fed up with wet feet in the rain so having been a Tmax owner 15 years ago I thought I’d come back to big scoots. Really looking forward to it actually.

Last edited by v23nb on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 5:58 pm

You picked the right spot for SWing owners. Welcome to the fold. You are no newbie to biking and your set-up on the SWing is perfect for cold weather riding. Perhaps we could all share bits of nugget info on riding in general.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello v23nb. Welcome to the forum. That's a heck of a nice Boxing Day gift you've gotten.

Lots of good info here via the Search function and friendly folks on the forum to help you as well. Being a refugee from the T-max it will be interesting to hear your take on the differences & advantages of the Silverwing vs T-Max.

Tim
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Many thanks for the warm welcome. I have spent several hours over the last few days looking at many posts on this forum which was very helpful in giving me useful knowledge at the dealers. I had the choice of 5 used machines so it boiled down to knowing the differences in the optional extras from the research. The bike I’ve bought has a Givi Monokey rack but no top box. I have however agreed with the dealer that I can keep my Deauville box which is the exact same Honda original that I see on so many other UK examples. It’s colour is a slightly darker metallic grey rather than the metallic silver but it’ll be fine. It’s behind me anyway so I won’t see it!

My next purchase looks like it needs to be a Givi AF214 adjustable screen. A bit confusing as all the online sellers seem to say they are for bikes up to 2009 however my research here seems to imply there are no differences in the windshield for any year.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Welcome v23nb to the best SWing site on the net.
I have an 08 SWing and have learned a lot on how to maintain my SWing by being a member here.
I know you'll have as much fun riding your SWing as the rest of us have. It's a very reliable machine and will surprise lots of "real" motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 3:26 am

Hi v23nb welcome to the site. I've got an older one but they are a very useful tool for keeping dry on a commute. I put the adjustable screen and deflectors but I would go for a Tocano urbano leg cover first. Also their neoprene muffs even with heated grips to keep dry. Neither will affect the screen when you fit that.
What area in the UK are you.
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 3:31 am

Sorry, I should have mentioned... I’m about 5 miles from Brighton. My commute is to Heathrow airport with baggage for trips away for 3 or 4 days at a time. I found that I can pack the single underseat space on the Silverwing more usefully than both panniers on the Deauville. Width is probably a little narrower on the Silverwing which is a plus but the lowering of the centre of gravity while filtering at slow speeds will be a big stress reducer.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 am

Welcome v23nb. I had two Deauvilles before I bought my first Silver wing (now on my second Silver wing). I had the twin spark 650 models, you will find the Silver wing far easier to service and work on. After a while you will be able to throw the wing around just as much as the Deauvilles.
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 5:39 am

Another of my big reasons for the change was for easier maintenance. Removing the backwheel or even just removing the rear brake calliper is a pain in the butt on the NT700V. The panniers on the Deau are very good but the catches on them are brittle plastic and very weak. Every time I use my panniers (which is every time I ride) I get nervous that they will break and have already repaired them once. Access to them for repair is a monstrous job that takes hours and hours involving removing what seems like half the back end of the bike.

The Silverwing seems to be a logical sidestep to me. I was supposed to be going to pick mine up tomorrow morning but the forecast is now heavy rain so I have rearranged to collect this afternoon instead.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 am

Welcome from o-HI-o v23nb enjoy your new ride.
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 11:33 am

Just got back in from an enjoyable 30 mile ride home. What a capable scoot. Glad to be back feet forwards again.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Welcome v23nb! Glad you've become a new member! You'll find plenty of helpful folks on here that can guide you if needed.

Steve
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 1:53 pm

The welcome has been very warm Steve! I have shelved the idea of fitting the top box from my Deauville as it turns out my mate has a nice big Givi Monokey top box off his old Blackbird he sold in his garage which isn’t doing anything and I can have. Result!

Is it possible to confirm my suspicion that a Givi AF214 will fit any Swing 600 of any year and not just the earlier ones as the adverts imply?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Welcome aboard v23nb from the oher end of the country.
Everyone talks about the screen but I find it fine, see how you get on with the standard screen first before spending more.
Enjoy the new bike :-)
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Assuming that your Silverwing is an FJS/FSC 600 model that Givi AF-214 windscreen will fit. If yours is a SW-T model (twin headlights), I'm not sure. Someone on your side of the pond will have to answer that question. The SW-T model wasn't brought over here to North America.

Hey, are you actually allowed to have a maxi scooter in Brighton? I thought Brighton was the last bastion of the nattily dressed scooteristas.

Tim
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Yes it’s one of the last produced FJS 600 models. My bike will spend 90% of its life on the motorway as my work takes me to the US 5 or 6 times a month for 3-4 days at a time. I need the storage to carry my trip baggage while travelling but also to store my biking gear while I’m away.

Today I found the physical buffeting to be just a bit more than the Deauville (NT700V) was with its excellent OEM screen in the highest position. The noise however was quite a bit greater though and I found it strange not to be able to hear the engine at all. I listen to the radio while travelling and wonder how much of my in-helmet audio I’d be able to hear with the noise from the standard screen. As my time is mostly between 70-75mph I have taken the plunge and ordered an AF214 from a bike dealer in the northwest via eBay which was £129 delivered. Seems a bit of a bargain to me after hearing what other people have paid in the searches I have done on this forum.

I’m also considering the Urbano Turcano leg covers (model R036). Again these say up to year 2009 but I’m assuming they should work on all again. My bike has the Honda leg deflectors fitted but as it was zero degrees C on my ride home I still felt a draft round the underside of my thighs. Can the Termoscud be fitted in addition to the leg deflectors or would I have to pick one or the other? I tried searching for this answer but couldn’t find one.

Last edited by v23nb on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Assuming that your Silverwing is an FJS/FSC 600 model that Givi AF-214 windscreen will fit. If yours is a SW-T model (twin headlights), I'm not sure. Someone on your side of the pond will have to answer that question. The SW-T model wasn't brought over here to North America.

Hey, are you actually allowed to have a maxi scooter in Brighton? I thought Brighton was the last bastion of the nattily dressed scooteristas.

Tim

On our side of the pond the SW-T version of the Silver Wing has never been in the Honda UK range, and the Airflow version for it is the AF318.  

Scooteristas? Really, the nattily dressed Vespa and Lambretta riders were called Mods, and all that nonsense between Mods and Rockers in Brighton, Southend, Clacton, and a few other traditional English seaside resorts happened on a few Bank Holiday Weekends in the 1960’s.

Trad scooterists that still hang on to the last vestiges of that era, and the clones dressed like extras from the film 'Quadrophenia' or 1970’s Skinheads really are a weird bunch of mainly old blokes. But so are old blokes that dress up like their protagonists the Rockers and hang around the Ace Cafe in London.

I read some years ago that the Silver Wing and other modern twist n' go maxi scooters are regarded by trad scooterists to be nothing but "plastic fag chariots". So really they're no different from the average motorcycle rider that scorn maxi scooters generally, that is until a bad back, knackered knee joints etc gets them onto a maxi scooter.
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Fortunately I live 5 miles outside Brighton. I believe these days you need to be LGBT to be allowed to live in the city. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 7:30 am

Smile Hello & Welcome bud Smile
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Did an 80 mile round trip to a friends house today to pick up a Givi Maxia E52 box to go on the Monokey rack that was already on the back of my bike. I had been a little concerned that such a big box would upset the aerodynamics round the back but the ride home showed it made bugger all difference.

I also decided this morning to bite the bullet and order the Tucano Urbano blanket for the Swing. Looking forward to trying this having seen a load of YouTube videos about them. Earlier in the day I went through the paperwork that came with the bike. I noticed that on initial purchase a Vario Touring screen had been fitted. Before I collected the bike yesterday I had asked them to tidy up the rubber seal at the base of the screen as it wasn’t properly fitted. I now reckon someone had taken a fancy to the other screen while it was at the dealers so it got swapped back to the original. Oh well, my AF214 is on the way which I believe is a better screen.

Last edited by v23nb on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 am

The tucano urbano leg cover fits easily with the wind deflectors. When you fit the screen you wil see two little metal brackets in with the screen. When I fitted mine I found that they had been left on the scooter. I also found scratches under the bodywork on one side, so I guess the bike had been lightly dropped and the screen broken around the bottom side and the previous owner had put the old screen back on. At least you won't have to drill the plastics to fit the bracket, which with the terrible instructions from Givi is a blessing.
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks very much for the reassurance that the leg cover will fit. Useful info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie in UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie in UK   Newbie in UK I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie in UK
Page 1 of 1