Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing

Go down 
+11
sonuvabug
ItBeMe
bikehiker
Mike from NS
cotetoi
2wheelgal
oldwingguy
Dale N.
willajabir
Cosmic_Jumper
Gustafa
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 5:43 pm

I am the third owner of this 2006 Honda Silverwing. The original owner laid it down once, leaving scratches on the lower silver undercovers under the footboards. The factory color was blue and the second owner took it upon himself to grab a can of Rustoleum Safety Yellow and brush paint the entire bike. Parts on. Splatter all over. Yes. He did that.

On first glance, you cant see the brushwork, this photo even grace the cover of this website for a while:
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing 2006_c10

Up close however, you could see brush strokes and splotches:
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_12
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_13

I didnt mind, I got the bike for a steal of a price that included heated grips, a custom heated Daylong seat and backrest, two Givi saddlebags and rack as well as the rear trunk and that upgraded Givi windscreen. He took great care of the bike, so in my head I knew I would be updating the color one day.

I had grown to love the "hi-viz" yellow. It was different, bright, I could be seen and it drew some attention. He had completely covered up and removed all the Honda badging, but that could be easily remedied.

I picked a color very similar, went with an automotive matte yellow 1-stage paint (no separate clear coat needed to be shot) and got my spray gun skills in order.

I took all the body panels off and went to town. I had purchased an extra fender for like $10 brand new OEM off eBay and used the old fender to test the paint removal process. I grew up with a father who is a plastics engineer, so I knew what I was getting myself into with possibilities of melting the ABS parts (they are indeed molded ABS plastic body panels) etc. So I took my time and found some great remover that bubbled up the brushed on paint rather quickly.

The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Fender10
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Img_8510

I stripped and sanded all the panels and set to the task of filling, repairing and addressing anything and everything I was comfortable with. Cracks, broken screw holders, missing mounting screws and hardware, etc.

First up was the wheels. Got them off the bike and had them powder coated. The overall theme of the bike was matte yellow, graphite and gray.
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Img_8511

After getting the panels sanded, filled if needed, primed and wet sanded...
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Img_8512
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Img_8514
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_20
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_21
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_18
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_19
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_14
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_15
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_16

The 06 models have the flat pocket panel dashboard and I wanted to upgrade, so I found someone selling a whole new one for a steal. Got that installed (nothing fancy, these bikes are all the same technically) which youll see on the final photos.

I repainted the lower panels and the passenger pegs as well in graphite.
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_26
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_22
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_23
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_27

So she was torn down to the core...
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Nekkid11
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_17
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Nekkid10
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Img_8513

I repainted the entire stepover with a product from Eastman that restores black plastic in 2 stages, a prep and a resin paint, this stuff is amazing on faded black plastic, better than anything on the market in my opinion.

I then got to the fun part, setting up a vented painting tent and getting the parts done. All these weeks of prep for what amounts to 20 minutes of painting and a few hours drying...
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_32
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_28
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_29
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_30
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_31
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_34
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_33

Then it was a matter of installing the panels, the new Givi Airflow as I broke my previous one, putting new Honda Silverwing Decals and stickers on, new brake pads and getting her ready to roll!

The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_37
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_35
The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing Photo_36

I havent done a proper beauty shoot with the bike yet, you can't see the new decals on the side, but they are there LOL, Im pretty proud of the results and if you have any questions, ask away!

Last edited by Gustafa on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 6:51 pm

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 7:23 pm

@Gustafa ,
AWESOME......
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 am

Fantastic Job! You should be proud of your work. It looks great.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 am

Well done, well done indeed, you got the MOST important part of the job spot on, preparation, then paint. Will you share the paint remover name please. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 9:53 am

Fantastic job, beautiful Swing! You are very, very talented!!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 am

Very nice job. Well done !!!
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Gustafa,

What a great job you did. Indeed you should be very proud of the results and all of your patient efforts to get to these results. As our parents and grandparents have always said ... "a job worth doing ---is worth doing well". And you have accomplished that.

Please fill us in with more details as to the spray gun, and what flows and pressures you used or would recommend. It is all a learning curve ... but where might you suggest someone starts that curve.

Well done !
Mike
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Great prep work. Thanks for sending all the pics and great explanation. That yellow is a great standout color--attractive.

That one pic of the bubbled up paint on the fender looks like some stylized bikes that I've seen as a finished product. Cool
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Looks good. Where did that back rest come from.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you for the kind words - means a lot on this forum.

To answer the question so far:

For the paint remover I used: Permatex Stripper Aerosol (says its safe on plastic) but then moved to Citristrip Aerosol. LET ME SAY THIS - if you have a factory finish, dont strip it. Please dont. Just sand if needed, prime, sand, paint. The finish is so smooth on the factory finish, youre just wasting time, effort and money. I have a couple factory painted parts I did this with and they were gorgeous when repainted.

Paint Gun:
A Campbell-Hausfeld 2 Gun Kit off Amazon. I already owned a 20 Gallon Compressor.
http://amzn.to/2j5xYmC

You need a gun that matches the output of your compressor CFMs and an appropriate length hose.
I am an art director, with plenty of experience airbrushing, so I knew the basics, I figured it would just be on a bigger scale. I watched several YouTube videos on spray gun setup, did a few passes on cardboard, but getting the feel was super easy and getting the gun dialed in went quickly. I can go on, but if you have more questions, just ask.

Mike from NS, theres tons of YouTube videos, but its really easy, just take your time, experiment with water on paper even to dial in the brush pattern and atomizing.

ItBeMe, the backrest came from the entire seat upgrade, from DayLong Motorcycle seats:
https://day-long.com/

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 11:43 am

Very well done Gustafa. You brought an older Silver Wing back to glory ... and it looks great. I wish to do the same with my 2005 due to two drops by the previous owner. (both sides badly scratched unfortunately).

You didn't talk about broken tabs and repairing the ABS bits ... maybe you didn't have to do these types of repairs. I do ... so if you can share any details on how you went about it, please do. Again, Congrats on a job very well done.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 3:49 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
<>You didn't talk about broken tabs and repairing the ABS bits ... maybe you didn't have to do these types of repairs.  I do ... so if you can share any details on how you went about it, please do.  Again, Congrats on a job very well done.

With out a doubt the best product for repairing ABS body panels is "Plast-aid": https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plast-aid-6oz-Plastic-Pool-Spa-PVC-Plumbing-Part-Repair-Kit-80400/252969565413?epid=1701269695&hash=item3ae6293ce5:g:yEQAAOSwtGlZMKCM

Tim
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 8:03 pm

A job very well done. Thank you for sharing.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 pm

That Plastaid stuff seems a lot like some plastic repair stuff I got once (PLASTEX) and used on one of my Reflex scooters. Seems to be a whole lot more repair material in the Plastaid kit which would be good if you needed to do a lot of repairs or rebuild more and larger parts. The Plastex kit had less repair powder and solvent but It came with a rubber like piece that could be softened up with hot water to form it into a mold and stiffened when cool... Worked great for duplicating tabs right on the bike. It was easy to sand and shape and took paint just fine. (the solvent stinks pretty bad though and needed good ventilation)

Great job you did on your bike BTW.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 4:48 pm

I have a "need to know" about the saddle bags and brackets. Can you help me out on that?

Great job by the way.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Saddle Bags and Brackets would be a nice addition.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks for the replies to the questions, Gustafa.  In basic .... patient practice and study to gain some experience.  Wise words indeed.  Good info for the uninitiated.

Maybe you will airbrush some designs on the bike, now that you have a perfect "canvas" to do so?

Mike
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 9:23 am

sonuvabug wrote:
Very well done Gustafa.  You brought an older Silver Wing back to glory ... and it looks great.  I wish to do the same with my 2005 due to two drops by the previous owner.  (both sides badly scratched unfortunately).  

You didn't talk about broken tabs and repairing the ABS bits ... maybe you didn't have to do these types of repairs.  I do ... so if you can share any details on how you went about it, please do.  Again, Congrats on a job very well done.

I did deal with some broken tabs in places and like Cosmic Jumper recommended, I used Plast-Aid. Its plastic in powder form in one bottle and a MEK type liquid in another. Very strong stuff, wear a mask. In most cases I had snapped tabs that were hanging on, not completely broken off and on others, they were snapped off and still attached to a screw. In both cases, I set them with super glue and built up thing walls where I could with the Plast-Aid. You mix it in a cup and have a suuuuper short work time with it, but its as strong as ejected plastic when dry. Took a bit of learning, but nothing you couldn't get. OH and wear gloves with it too.

As for the saddle bags, they are just standard Givi monokey line bags, its the bracket thats all the fun. It came with the bike and the place the previous owner purchased the rack from no longer makes them, unfortunately.

As for any airbrushing, I had pondered a Boba Fett paint scheme, but for now, shes just going to stay a blank canvas.
Back to top Go down
andyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Gustafa wrote:
LET ME SAY THIS - if you have a factory finish, dont strip it. Please dont. Just sand if needed, prime, sand, paint. The finish is so smooth on the factory finish, youre just wasting time, effort and money. I have a couple factory painted parts I did this with and they were gorgeous when repainted.

I just got done painting my silverwing and ended up stripping several panels because the paint I was spraying would react with the factory paint. The odd thing was that it would only react on a second coat, so if I didn't get the spray to cover in the initial recoat window and let it sit 48+ hours, the paint would wrinkle. Ended up stripping the nose and front fender to get it looking ok. I didn't spend near the time here on prep work and also chose to rattle can acrylic enamel instead of setting up a booth in the garage because I was in a hurry. Mine looks good from 10 feet, but it's a 15 year old bike with over 50k miles on it, no longer a gem that needs special care.

Gotta say yours turned out quite nice. Good work.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 10:06 am

andyman wrote:
Gustafa wrote:
LET ME SAY THIS - if you have a factory finish, dont strip it. Please dont. Just sand if needed, prime, sand, paint. The finish is so smooth on the factory finish, youre just wasting time, effort and money. I have a couple factory painted parts I did this with and they were gorgeous when repainted.

I just got done painting my silverwing and ended up stripping several panels because the paint I was spraying would react with the factory paint.  The odd thing was that it would only react on a second coat, so if I didn't get the spray to cover in the initial recoat window and let it sit 48+ hours, the paint would wrinkle.  Ended up stripping the nose and front fender to get it looking ok.  I didn't spend near the time here on prep work and also chose to rattle can acrylic enamel instead of setting up a booth in the garage because I was in a hurry.  Mine looks good from 10 feet, but it's a 15 year old bike with over 50k miles on it, no longer a gem that needs special care.

Gotta say yours turned out quite nice.  Good work.

Yea, let me clarify - you still have to prime the factory finish before painting, I dont suggest painting right over it. 600 grit wet sand them, hit them with a primer, let it dry thoroughly, hit that with 600 and 1000 grit wet sands, you will have a gorgeous base to paint on.

The 10 foot rule works in a lot of places in life. Youll find issues and stuff on mine even with this route I did.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 8:48 am

Yea, let me clarify - you still have to prime the factory finish before painting, I dont suggest painting right over it. 600 grit wet sand them, hit them with a primer, let it dry thoroughly, hit that with 600 and 1000 grit wet sands, you will have a gorgeous base to paint on.

The 10 foot rule works in a lot of places in life. Youll find issues and stuff on mine even with this route I did.

<<>> remembering the old days of lacquer painting, clean, sand, clean, paint, repeat as often as need to get a mirror like finish, then hope someone doesn't mess it up in the first week on the road.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing   The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing
Page 1 of 1